PFW audibles - quotes from NFL scouts/personnel people

dave mcbride

“What is (Bills chief operating officer ) Russ Brandon doing on the road, trying to parade around as a football guy and pretend he knows what he is looking at? Look at his contracts — he can’t even take care of business in his own field. What makes him think he can evaluate? He’s a bean counter. He has no business pretending he knows talent.”

http://www.profootballweekly.com/PFW/The+W...udibles2324.htm

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

"What is (Bills chief operating officer ) Russ Brandon doing on the road, trying to parade around as a football guy and pretend he knows what he is looking at? Look at his contracts — he can't even take care of business in his own field. What makes him think he can evaluate? He's a bean counter. He has no business pretending he knows talent."

Brandon made it quite clear that he is indeed not a "football guy" and thats why those duties are handled by Modrak and Guy. What a typically stupid commentary by PFW

Brandon made it quite clear that he is indeed not a "football guy" and thats why those duties are handled by Modrak and Guy. What a typically stupid commentary by PFW

Yes, it's clear that this team is on the way up in the NFL. The off-season last year was supposed to put Buffalo into the playoffs. Instead, we're right back where we were after 06 and 07.

Brandon is not on par with any decent GM in the league.

Yes, it's clear that this team is on the way up in the NFL. The off-season last year was supposed to put Buffalo into the playoffs. Instead, we're right back where we were after 06 and 07.

Going out on a limb huh? Are the players Bills added in '08 offseason the primary reason that this team is not in the playoffs?

Your "GM" of the Bills is Brandon/Modrak/Guy not simply Brandon. I'm not saying anything about whether they've done a great job or not.

He's not, but he helped deliver the personnel...which, all by itself, doesn't guarantee a playoff appearance.

The on-field "generals" are responsible for taking that personnel to the playoffs, not Brandon.

“What is (Bills chief operating officer ) Russ Brandon doing on the road, trying to parade around as a football guy and pretend he knows what he is looking at? Look at his contracts — he can’t even take care of business in his own field. What makes him think he can evaluate? He’s a bean counter. He has no business pretending he knows talent.”

Here's what is written about these nuggets from around the NFL:

The following quotes are from NFL scouts, coaches and front-office personnel, speaking on the condition of anonymity.

Wow, what great sources! What the hell keeps Pro Football Weekly.com from completely making this crap up?? "speaking on the condition of anonymity"....isn't that nice?

Well I heard from an expert source, speaking on the condition of anonymity of course, that both Bill Cowher and Scott Pioli are coming to Buffalo to replace that idiot Russ Brandon and his idiot coach DJ next season.

There, I now have as much credibility backing up my story as PFW.com has. What ever happened to real reporting in the media??

You see the quote on Lawyer:

“(Falcons S) Lawyer Milloy has had a Pro Bowl-caliber season. He’s very instinctive. He’s got a great knack for the ball. He’s playing great football.”

Pretty interesting, DWI aside. Kind of interesting how our secondary would have looked if we had kept him and Jimmy L. Of course we probably wouldn't be able to keep Scott (who's spot Lawyer interestingly took in Atlanta) and Wendling (great Spec. Teamer). And I know a lot of you weren't too high on Jimmy, but I thought he was definitely great depth, and he's playing pretty well in Baltimore as a safety and punt returner. And of course, anybody can play well next to Ed Reed.

I guess I was just looking for a little nostalgia with the Lawyer comment.

Also remember some of the negative comments are probably made by divisional rival scouts trying to cause more problems for the teams in question.

And I'm sure a few of the disparaging comments are from scouts that told their teams to pass up on the player in question, and are now trying to find any way possible to cover up their tracks and make the picks they advised look better.

Here's what is written about these nuggets from around the NFL:

The following quotes are from NFL scouts, coaches and front-office personnel, speaking on the condition of anonymity.

Wow, what great sources! What the hell keeps Pro Football Weekly.com from completely making this crap up?? "speaking on the condition of anonymity"....isn't that nice?

Well I heard from an expert source, speaking on the condition of anonymity of course, that both Bill Cowher and Scott Pioli are coming to Buffalo to replace that idiot Russ Brandon and his idiot coach DJ next season.

There, I now have as much credibility backing up my story as PFW.com has. What ever happened to real reporting in the media??

It's actually a pretty good feature. I've come across some good stuff there over the past couple of years that proved to be true. It's anonymous so that people can be candid! Also, journalism is built on anonymous sources.

Your "GM" of the Bills is Brandon/Modrak/Guy not simply Brandon. I'm not saying anything about whether they've done a great job or not.

It's hard to evaluate Guy and Modrak, because we're not sure they're as involved in the decision making progress. They may be competent, but their role is to assist the GM and supply him with information regarding other pros or draft eligible players. They are not the decision making guys, which is why a GM is necessary to bring everyone together and get the team to success.

I think people don't understand the a Pro Personnel Director and College Scouting Director assist in maintaining the GM's vision of the team. They should have input into which players are acquired, but it's on the GM to guide all the personnel decisions. Brandon has no experience whatsoever in that. None.

There is no NFL franchise that exists with this front office set up. The titles may not be the same, but every team either has a decision maker or a bonafide team like NE does with Pioli and Belichick.

I don't disagree with your reaction, but maybe the person is referring to the contract that was signed round about week 6 of the 08 season ...

Highly doubtful, as to me the quote clearly slams his player personnel skills, not the judgment of the deadweight on the sidelines.