Allen Wilson - Peters not at fault on the Elam sack

dave mcbride

11:14 [Comment From iggy]

Was it me or did Peters look like a turnstile on that ill fated play? I'm glad we waited on paying him. We could just show him a low-light film and say....hey....you're not that good!

11:15 Peters is an easy target, but that last play was not his fault. He wasn't assigned to block that blitzer.

http://buffalonews.typepad.com/billboard/

Was it me or did Peters look like a turnstile on that ill fated play? I'm glad we waited on paying him. We could just show him a low-light film and say....hey....you're not that good!

11:15 Peters is an easy target, but that last play was not his fault. He wasn't assigned to block that blitzer.

Dear Allen,

Exactly who was responsible if not Peters?

Sincerely,

People who saw the play.

Dave, i've linked you the video clip where everyone is getting blocked except Elam, and lo and behold, it was Peters who whiffed on the block. Who was Peters supposed to block then? Or is he just supposed to block no one, because "that's not his assignment."

Funny, i thought football was about making plays, not being concerned about what isn't your assignment.

Funny, i thought football was about making plays, not being concerned about what isn't your assignment.

That's where I'm at, too. Guessing he was supposed to take Pace, while Dockery picked up the end ... but when that didn't happen, there was only one guy left that he could have blocked. And if Elam wasn't his assignment, then why did he make the (unsuccessful) effort?

Honestly, though, I can't get too down on him; I doubt any tackle in the league can match a DB in quickness. For me, it still goes back to making the playcall in the first place, and crediting the Jets for lucking into running the right defense against it.

Dear Allen,

Exactly who was responsible if not Peters?

Sincerely,

People who saw the play.

I think this is so funny.

The guys who hate JP say he should have played better than they think he is capable of playing, but excuse Peters for not playing at all.

Meanwhile back at One Bills Drive Limp Dick is devising a plan not to lose against the Broncos. <_<:lol:

That's where I'm at, too. Guessing he was supposed to take Pace, while Dockery picked up the end ... but when that didn't happen, there was only one guy left that he could have blocked. And if Elam wasn't his assignment, then why did he make the (unsuccessful) effort?

Honestly, though, I can't get too down on him; I doubt any tackle in the league can match a DB in quickness. For me, it still goes back to making the playcall in the first place, and crediting the Jets for lucking into running the right defense against it.

I'm not strictly blaming peters, because i hated the call the instant i saw the play fake. No reason not to run. Just turned into a comedy of errors. Horrendous play call. Peters whiffing on the block. Losman not securing the ball. The ball taking an incredible bounce right into Ellis' hands. 400 lb langston walker somehow lacking the ability to knock ellis OB. What a mess.

It has become painfully obvious, especially for our QBs, that if the defense sends a safety blitz from the end; no one has the responsibility to block him. How many times have we seen it this year?

It's not that nobody is assigned to him. It's that it becomes the quarterback's responsibility to be alert to him. On Edwards' concussion play, he was supposed to be aware of Wilson, and he said afterward that it was his own fault for not getting rid of the ball quicker.

The key is that as long as Peters knows his assignment (lets assume it was to pick up Pace) and Losman knows Peters' assignment, then Losman will know if anyone is assigned to Elam and can accordingly.

This single, simple point is perhaps the most disheartening for me. And, ultimately, is why I have firmly jumped on the fire the HC bandwagon. Why does it always seem the opposing team has exactly the right defense called? Or the right offensive play called? How many times over the last few years have we needed that one play only to be stuffed; or they needed that one play only to break free for a TD?

Players are supposed to be put in the right positions to make the plays; but our guys are seldomly in that position. That's got to fall at the coaches feet. And there's been little, to no, improvement in this area. Throw in a heaping helping of the other team seems to have our playbook and what do you have? A sack, a fumble, a TD, a lost game, a lost season... again.

400 lb langston walker somehow lacking the ability to knock ellis OB.

You know, we haven't covered that part of the play nearly enough. Nice job of getting absolutely FLATTENED, Langston.

You know, we haven't covered that part of the play nearly enough. Nice job of getting absolutely FLATTENED, Langston.

I had noticed that in my many times watching the highlites. A simple forearm shiver knocks walker to the ground. You'd think that F=ma alone would have been enough to knock ellis OB. *I've* gotten forearm shivered like that in football before, but then again i'm 5'9" 160, not 6'7" 380.

And JP identified him as a blitzer before the snap, and then made the bonehead assumtion that Peters would actually block him.

You keep repeating this. Do you have a link to a video clip, audio clip, or article that agrees with your conviction that, as you said yesterday, "JP pointed to the blitzer?"

Like it or not, know it or not, the QBs FIRST READ ON EVERY PLAY IS THE SS. From the clip I've seen JP didn't indicate PRE-SNAP by finger pointing, looking at, or any other means that he read the safety. Please, again, provide the proof you say exists that JP made a proper pre-snap read.

Give the Jets and Elam credit, though. It was well disguised but more importantly well timed. Well timed because it's a helluva lot easier to time a blitz when the play clock is near zero. And Elam made Peters look like he was stuck in mud. Then again, I don't know an OT that can match quickness with a DB who has a moving start on a blitz around the corner.

GO BILLS!!!

Dave, i've linked you the video clip where everyone is getting blocked except Elam, and lo and behold, it was Peters who whiffed on the block. Who was Peters supposed to block then? Or is he just supposed to block no one, because "that's not his assignment."

Don't shoot the messenger - I'm just linking to what he said ...

it wasn't Peters fault. Watch the replay, the blitz was straight up field outside of the tackle. A tackle shepherds rushes like that further down the field to protect a pocket. JP though was already about 8 yards behind the line of scrimmage after the play action fake, and then made things much worse by neither stepping foward or rolling to the right but up the field, instead he ran further backwards while rolling right and completely out of the protection any pocket may have offered. By the time he was hit he was about 12 yards behind the line of scrimmage.

The play was truly a cluster!@#$ from start to finish!

Yup. It takes hard work to blow a game in such spectacular fashion, although the Bills are getting good at doing just that. (Dallas, anyone?)

Exactly...And I still believe Peters is thinking that Ball is long gone from JP's hands before Elam gets there...It was supposed to be after all...It was the perfect storm against The Bills on that Play...Wrong Play Call vs. perfect Play Call by The Jets...Elam gets a GREAT jump on the snap...And The Bills only hope is that JP somehow becomes an aware NFL QB and throws it away as soon as He sees the FB is being held up...

Just bad things all around for The Bills on that Play...Something Jauron seems to have a knack for in his NFL Head Coaching career... ;)