Schonert is right

nodnarb

I still think it's hilarious - call notwithstanding - so many people trying to use as a defense of JP "But he sucks so bad - you should know better than to put him in that position!" as an excuse that he's beyond blame - it's not his fault he sucks so bad he can't *possibly* be asked to execute plays even high school QBs can.

Probably not.

Why do people keep saying an incompletion doesn't matter as they would be at the 2min warning? That simply is untrue. Had JP dumped the Ball as soon as he felt pressure, there would have been a second or two left before the 2min warning. Many incomplete pass plays (especially a dump off to the FB) take less than 6 seconds.

Dean, you just keep taking the words out of my mouth. 100% correct.

As I've posted on here, and others have, check this video:

http://www.nfl.com/partner?partnerType=plays-defense

JP was hit betwen 2:03 or 2:02 left. If he had thrown the ball away at 2:03, there would still be 3 seconds left on the clock. A third down run would have then again stopped at the 2 min warning, and we would have to punt the ball to the Jets with 2 mins left and 2 timeouts because they didnt have to use them.

Enough of this talk...this conversation is over about if it was a good call or not...it was obviously a bad call...some people in the media even comparing it to the Miracle in the Meadowlands with idiot Herm "We play to win the game" Edwards.

This points it out exactly. Regardless of what anyone thinks about if the call was right or not, it doesn't really matter. The clock is the issue here and running the ball, regardless of any other situation at hand, was the thing to do. I said it immediately when the Jets called timeout, run the ball and get to the 2 minute warning for a 3rd and whatever play or hopefully a 1st down. It's as basic taking a crap. just sit down and do it,

it should just be natural. The "braintrust" of the Bills don't have the basic knowledge to coach a simple game. They get outcoached at every turn and this 1 stinking play is just a small sample of a collection of blunders by this coaching staff and organization. The easiest tasks cannot be handled by anyone in the organization and things need to change sooner than later from the top on down!!

My problem is they put a QB who has no sense of a backside blitz coming into a situation where he has to get rid of a ball before an unblocked rusher got to him by design. Now, the Bills had just watched Losman get sacked and fumble from the blindside earlier in the game. What the hell are they doing asking him to run the same type of play?? Why use the FB as the primary read on the play? The guy has 2 catches for -1 yards on the season. Why not run the little TE rollout play they have run with great success this year, if they HAVE to do a rollout?

My problem stems from the coaches put the QB in a position he is not good at handling, and then got upset when he didn't handle it. They should have known that result was as likely as any other based o Losman's skill set and lacking skill set. The fact they called that play shows the coaches do not understand their players and their strengths and weaknesses very well at all, which is probably why the players seem to be in position to not make plays more than they are in position to make plays.

Fact: JP couldn't execute a VERY simple play. He has two options, no checkdowns.

Option 1: Throw it to the FB

Option 2: Take the sack or get rid of it.

It takes and idiot QB not to execute a simple play. The play was called for the simplicity of it. JP, the guy who can't read defenses, only had 2 choices and he couldn't do that. I don't know how you can put this on the coaches when they made it so easy for a 5th year QB to execute a simple friggin high-school football play!

How can you play in the NFL and screw that play up? Answer: JP Losman. Given a simple play, but lost the game. This isn't on the coaches, because they put JP in a position to succeed, but JP somehow turned a simple play into a losing play.

I agree completely. Obviously the safest thing would have been to take a knee (/sarcasm) - but it amazes me how JP seems to be absolved from blame because they asked him to just execute a simple play w/o turning it over which 31 out of 32 QBs who started that week (and likely all their backups too) probably do w/o fumbling the game away.

I'm not blaming Schonert or Jauron. SOme people on this board have such 20/20 hindsight vision. Play calling is an in-exact science. No team calls the perfect play 100% of the time...maybe not even 50%. The Bills could not afford to risk punting the ball back to the Jets. I don't hate the call. They needed a first down and that was a low risk play. It's better to try it on 2nd down rather than an obvious passing play on 3rd down. Remember when those teams a few weeks ago held onto the ball for those last 8 or 9 minutes of tha game against Buffalo? Well, they all used the rollout short flip pass to keeo drives alive. It's a bread and butter play. JP blew it. I blame him 100%.

After calming down and trying to decipher what happened on that fumble play, I conclude that Jauron was in a catch 22 situation. No matter what he calls, he gets blamed. If he runs twice and loses, we criticize him for being way too conservative and coaching not to lose. If he tries to be aggressive, he gets criticized for not calling running plays. The bottom line is that he put his trust in a player that cannot produce.

With 9 men in the box, the jets were playing run defense 100 percent and admitted so. There is no sense in running into a goalline defense at that point in time. What to do? A pitch out wouldn't have worked either as the Jets were storming from the end positions. The safest pass play in the book is a rollout with a short pass to the tight end or running back which should be wide open and game over. If the play gets blown up or the receiver is covered, then you merely throw the ball away.

Pretty simple concept if you have the players to run the play safely. Unfortunately we don't and thats not Jauron's fault...The play was killed by an incompetent quarterback.

I can blane Jauron for many other things, but not for this play...

Dumping it away is a TERRIBLE idea, that's one of the reasons it is a bad call. There would likely be more than 2 minutes left on the clock, if JP, "dumps it away".

There is simply no justification for the Bills running that play, in that situation, with that QB, at that time in the game, because the running game was KILLING.

CONTEXT!!!

In a vacuum it isn't a stupid play, In context it is boneheaded.

For a guy who will go winless in his division and become the proud owner 7 out of 8 losing seasons, that play should be a career ending play. I'm holding out hope that Wilson will be pragmatic and come to the realization that eating Jauron's contract extension will save him a lot of money when he considers the loss of season ticket holders if he's retained. Ralph wants to look like a hero riding in on the white horse after the Pats put a bow on a 6-10 season. I'm not buying this talk of Jauron coming back next year.

The call was stupid from the get go. Jets knew it was coming. Mangini was quoted in the Buffalo News this morning as saying "Bills ALWAYS do one of two things in that situation- run right or roll out pass left and we had both covered". That play was doomed to fail even before it was called and of course with JP back there, it was doomed to cost the Bills the game.

Let's not kid ourslves, Mangini is just plain lucky to be playing the Bills with that tool as a quarterback, regardless if he

knew our tendancies or not, they may have had both covered, but if it was a run play, I do not think that they would

have stopped us, whether it was right, left, or up the middle. I personally would have called for a pitch out sweep to the

left, we were running it pretty succsusfully most of the game to the left, and that probably would have taken enough time

off, or the Jests would have had to call a timeout.

Let's not kid ourslves, Mangini is just plain lucky to be playing the Bills with that tool as a quarterback, regardless if he

knew our tendancies or not, they may have had both covered, but if it was a run play, I do not think that they would

have stopped us, whether it was right, left, or up the middle. I personally would have called for a pitch out sweep to the

left, we were running it pretty succsusfully most of the game to the left, and that probably would have taken enough time

off, or the Jests would have had to call a timeout.

I think the guy that sacked JP would have been in position to stop a left sweep and turn the play back into the pile of 19 players clogging the area between the hash marks...

Let's just be completely honest, there's a number of things wrong with this team. No motivators for this team, no leadership on the field or on the sideline with the exception of Bobby April. They need to adjust to the talent on the team instead of still forcing this ideal play-calling they are dreaming about, especially with Losman starting. Honestly, I would like to see Hamdan start. He may be our backup next year and he's only been in the league 2 years. Are you telling me he was THAT bad in practices where he got 3rd on the QB depth chart?!