Why Should I Put My Son Through This?

CJPearl2

He is 18 months old. Why should I make the rest of his sports-loving life miserable by being a Bills fan?

My wife is from Pittsburgh but she has no say in this and I can't let him being a Steeler fan, but why should I be so selfish and put him through this misery?

Somebody give me a reason.

He is 18 months old. Why should I make the rest of his sports-loving life miserable by being a Bills fan?

My wife is from Pittsburgh but she has no say in this and I can't let him being a Steeler fan, but why should I be so selfish and put him through this misery?

My son was born in Brooklyn, and I've been trying to make him a Jets fan for years (I want an in-house rivalry, and I don't want him to simply copy me). I took him to the game today, and he wore a Lynch jersey and rooted for the Bills all game (although he doesn't hate the Jets at all). I don't know what to do - I'm trying to prevent him from this life of pain. That said, the life of a Jets fan is no better ...

One word - birthright.

My kids are 10 yrs old - and have watched the games w/ me since before they even really knew what was going on. Every year like clockwork at some point the Bills are eliminated from the playoffs and I say - "How sad the Bills - your team - have sucked basically your whole life - for as long as you've known them" - but they accept it, and take the punches, and keep coming back year after year - like any good Bills fan. Birthright.

One word - birthright.

My kids are 10 yrs old - and have watched the games w/ me since before they even really knew what was going on. Every year like clockwork at some point the Bills are eliminated from the playoffs and I say - "How sad the Bills - your team - have sucked basically your whole life - for as long as you've known them" - but they accept it, and take the punches, and keep coming back year after year - like any good Bills fan. Birthright.

loser.jpg

Because life is all about trying and coming back from defeat. If you fail accept it and keep trying. A lesson everyone should learn. While it's horrifying to watch sometimes this team won't be horrible forever.

We wont have to suffer much longer.. this team is on its way out. Buffalo is a dying city.

:devil:

I think you need another team to root for. Buh bye!

Because life is all about trying and coming back from defeat. If you fail accept it and keep trying. A lesson everyone should learn. While it's horrifying to watch sometimes this team won't be horrible forever.

:wallbash:

I think you need another team to root for. Buh bye!

:devil:

Maybe, just maybe, by the time he's old enough to actually follow the game the way we do, Ralph will be gone and the Bills will be a respectable franchise again. Maybe he will get to see and root for an assembly of players like we were able to watch in the late 80's and early 90's. It was a thing of beauty to watch Bruce, Thurman, Jim, Andre, Darryl, Shane, Cornelius, Don, Leon, Pete, James, Nate, Henry, and the rest of those guys in action.

If you are a good dad and I know you are because you are trying to keep him from a long life of pain. You let him chose the team he wants to root for. I am so tired of the bills, they need to clean house and start over. My son is 9 and I have told him that he can pick any team to root for. He like players and not teams but I think he is starting to like the raven or Steelers and I am fine with that. I have my brother to hate his is a fish fan.

PS I hope you have great holidays with your family.

my kid just turned 1 year old yesterday. right after the game today i pulled his bills hat on his head and took him to get our x-mas tree. he forgot all about the game, and for a little while, so did i.

but oh will he suffer one day...

As disappointed as we all are being Bills fans, I feel it is inexcusable to not instill the Buffalo Bills tradition in your children. Don't get me wrong, I am as disgusted as anyone about the state this franchise has been in for the last decade, but I could never even fathom having a son who wasn't a Bills fan. I understand that many people on this board do not even live in Buffalo, so maybe it is more reasonable to raise a child to not be a Bills fan. I myself do live in Buffalo, and whether I do leave some day, my heart will always be here. Just as my father did with me, from the day my first son is born, the Buffalo Bills tradition will be ingrained in his mind. There will be no chance for him to like another team. It is part of his birth rite, just as it was for many of us. I want to be able to go to games with my father and my son, just as I did with my father and grandfather. Even now, if I am not watching the game with my Dad, he is the first person I call afterward. It is a bond, a way of life, a Buffalo tradition at its finest, a slice of Americana.

Because your son won't be a quitter. I see this in my daughters. They will watch the Bills lose, keep supporting them, stand tall, and apologize to no one. As a parent, I have seen them apply this in their personal and academic lives..

I won't ever stop hoping that they win it all. This is what we deserve. It might not happen in our lifetime, but my money says that if the Bills continue to exist, your son will watch them win it all.

I hope that I am around for the party.

As disappointed as we all are being Bills fans, I feel it is inexcusable to not instill the Buffalo Bills tradition in your children. Don't get me wrong, I am as disgusted as anyone about the state this franchise has been in for the last decade, but I could never even fathom having a son who wasn't a Bills fan. I understand that many people on this board do not even live in Buffalo, so maybe it is more reasonable to raise a child to not be a Bills fan. I myself do live in Buffalo, and whether I do leave some day, my heart will always be here. Just as my father did with me, from the day my first son is born, the Buffalo Bills tradition will be ingrained in his mind. There will be no chance for him to like another team. It is part of his birth rite, just as it was for many of us. I want to be able to go to games with my father and my son, just as I did with my father and grandfather. Even now, if I am not watching the game with my Dad, he is the first person I call afterward. It is a bond, a way of life, a Buffalo tradition at its finest, a slice of Americana.

What he said. :devil:

Because your son won't be a quitter. I see this in my daughters. They will watch the Bills lose, keep supporting them, stand tall, and apologize to no one. As a parent, I have seen them apply this in their personal and academic lives..

I won't ever stop hoping that they win it all. This is what we deserve. It might not happen in our lifetime, but my money says that if the Bills continue to exist, your son will watch them win it all.

I hope that I am around for the party.

What he said too! :wallbash:

Awful lot of people on this board tonight who feel they are entitled. Go ahead, teach your kids that the world owes them something and that loyalty, hard work and difficult decisions are to be avoided.

What he said three! :wallbash:

Sure, go ahead and teach your kids that winning is everything. Community and rooting for the home team is for losers. Yeah, I hate watching this sorry product and I feel badly for the quality athletes on the team who are completely mismanaged and have no support from ownership, but even living in S Florida now, the Bills are my connection to "home". But if you want your kids to miss out on the life lesson of loyalty to one's own community, that's your call. How about this, instead? Teach them that football is a game played for our entertainment. It can offer us highs and lows of emotion, but it's just a game. Enjoy the ride of winning and the right to grouse when the guys are losing, but keep perspective. It's a part of life, not the reason for it.

Why dont you try letting your son be a fan of who ever he wants to be a fan of and quit your whining and continued pussification of this fan board...

One word - birthright.

My 9 year old son watches every Bills game with me. We talk about how he was 5 months old when we last went to the Playoffs. And now he is nine, and we still haven't gone back. He agonizes with me thru each game, but he understands that this is his team like it is his daddy's team. He will never quit on the team like the team quits on us year after year.