Teams with the fewest Playoff appearances

BuffaloBill

The Houstan Texans have never been in the playoffs

The Carolina Panthers have only been three times

While all of us proclaim how much we love their D the Ravens have only appeared 4 times

Three teams have have six playoff appearances the Cardinals, the saints and the Jags among these keep in mind that through all of their iterations the cardinals have been in the league since 1930.

Teams on the opposite side of things:

Dallas 55 playoff games but have not won one in the last 11 years

Pittsburgh 28 playoff games (5 SB rings)

Cleveland (no sb rings), Oakland and the Rams (LA & St Louis) 43 playoff games (one SB ring)

The Vikings 42 playoff games (like our beloved Bills 4 SB losses)

The point behind all of this is that as bad as it looks for us very few fans can claim much better. By this list I would say the Steelers fans have it best - most playoffs and SB rings followed by Dallas fans (makes me sick but keep in mind they lost 3 SB's)

The only other point is that it is hard for any team to get to the playoffs and even harder to make it to a SB much less win one

We have a long way to go to get back but so do many others.

While all of us proclaim how much we love their D the Ravens have only appeared 4 times

Three teams have have six playoff appearances the Cardinals, the saints and the Jags among these keep in mind that through all of their iterations the cardinals have been in the league since 1930.

Are you kidding me? The Texans have only been a team since 2002 (only 7 seasons)

The Panthers have only been around since 1995 (14 seasons), so making the playoffs 3 times in 14 years (more than 21%) is not bad.

The Ravens have only been a team since 1996 (13 seasons). So they have made it to the playoffs about 31% of their seasons.

The Jags have been a team for 14 seasons also and have made the playoffs 6 of those years- a strong 42% of the time.

The Saints have made the ployoffs in 6 of there 42 seasons- roughly 14%.

The Cards do have it pretty rough though, they've been in the league since 1920 and have made it to playoffs only 7 times (including this year)- that's less than 9%!

The Bills have been in the NFL since 1970 (I think that's 39 seasons, I could be wrong though) and they have made it to the playoffs 13 times (about 33%). I'm not including AFL years, since for all the other examples we're talking about only NFL years.

While 33% doesn't seam bad, the important number is that all of the teams you cited have made (or in the case of the Cards will make) the playoffs this decade, with the exception of the Texans but the Bills playoff drought is longer than the entire history of the Texans franchise. Just saying we fans have good reason to be upset.

Interesting tidbit. The Cowboys, for all their supposed greatness, haven't won a playoff game since 1996 (their last Superbowl). Buffalo's last playoff win was after the 1995 season. Of course, the Cowboys have made the playoffs 5 times since then; while Buffalo has made it only twice.

I just thought it interesting that there's an apparently huge difference in the image of both franchises, but in terms of playoff wins not nearly so much during this last decade. So, I ask: is it better making the playoffs and losing or is it better to just not make the playoffs?

Cleveland (no sb rings), Oakland and the Rams (LA & St Louis) 43 playoff games (one SB ring)

The point behind all of this is that as bad as it looks for us very few fans can claim much better. By this list I would say the Steelers fans have it best - most playoffs and SB rings followed by Dallas fans (makes me sick but keep in mind they lost 3 SB's)

The only other point is that it is hard for any team to get to the playoffs and even harder to make it to a SB much less win one

this might be one of the single worst "feel better" posts ever.

i would rather be a fan of every one of these organizations than the bills. they all have direction, they have all (except houston) had success at one time or other, and most of them have championships.

this might be one of the single worst "feel better" posts ever.

i would rather be a fan of every one of these organizations than the bills. they all have direction, they have all (except houston) had success at one time or other, and most of them have championships.

You sir have been drinking so much negative Kool-Aid that your faculties are clearly impaired. You would rather be a Cards fan? a Saints fan? Really? Then go right ahead.

We can all be disappointed by the current state of the Bills, but the overall point of this thread is that there are very few franchises that have not caused plenty of dissatisfaction. Bill was trying to help put things in perspective; if you would rather wallow in self-hate, then that is your problem.

Are you kidding me? The Texans have only been a team since 2002 (only 7 seasons)

The Panthers have only been around since 1995 (14 seasons), so making the playoffs 3 times in 14 years (more than 21%) is not bad.

The Ravens have only been a team since 1996 (13 seasons). So they have made it to the playoffs about 31% of their seasons.

The Jags have been a team for 14 seasons also and have made the playoffs 6 of those years- a strong 42% of the time.

The Saints have made the ployoffs in 6 of there 42 seasons- roughly 14%.

The Cards do have it pretty rough though, they've been in the league since 1920 and have made it to playoffs only 7 times (including this year)- that's less than 9%!

The Bills have been in the NFL since 1970 (I think that's 39 seasons, I could be wrong though) and they have made it to the playoffs 13 times (about 33%). I'm not including AFL years, since for all the other examples we're talking about only NFL years.

While 33% doesn't seam bad, the important number is that all of the teams you cited have made (or in the case of the Cards will make) the playoffs this decade, with the exception of the Texans but the Bills playoff drought is longer than the entire history of the Texans franchise. Just saying we fans have good reason to be upset.

I am in no way suggesting that we should be satisfied with the status quo. I am simply trying to put some perspective to the situation. It goes back to something I said in another post - there is a thin line between being average and being a winner in this league - look at how the jags and Bolts slid this year for example. QB is the Bills greatest weakness and has been since Kelly retired. If TE is not the real deal we will have a long uphill road to climb to see the playoffs again.

I don't care about the other losers in the world my only concern is building a winner in Buffalo.

You sir have been drinking so much negative Kool-Aid that your faculties are clearly impaired. You would rather be a Cards fan? a Saints fan? Really? Then go right ahead.

We can all be disappointed by the current state of the Bills, but the overall point of this thread is that there are very few franchises that have not caused plenty of dissatisfaction. Bill was trying to help put things in perspective; if you would rather wallow in self-hate, then that is your problem.

Thank you for getting the point.

It is interesting to note that the "successful" teams except for the Steelers saw their success prior to the dawn of free agency. Sadly for the Bills fans, the cheatriots are the most successful post free agancy team. I believe this is the case for three reasons:

Like him or not they have an all world QB

Their owner, front office and coaching staff are on the same page when it comes to system and talent

I believe the have an advantage in FA because key players have been willing to go there at a discount in order to have a shot at a SB ring.

The other point in putting this post up was that I wanted the board to have a chance to discuss something other than the topics of ... who is the next coach .... and just how bad do the Bills suck. I believe we have worn those two issues out for the time being.

Sine the Bills last made the playoffs, only 3 teams have failed to recah the playoffs (1999-2008) - the Bills, the Detroit Lions, and the Houson Texans. Since the Texans haven't even been around for that entire time I don't really think they belong on that list. The Bills and the Lions - ever other teams has figured out a way to make it to the plaoffs at least one in the last 9 years - sickening. It's alwys "next year" when you're a Bills fan - that's why we are so despondant.....

Remember when you were a kid and you did bad on a test or something and you told your parents that "But everybody did bad on it". What did mom and dad always say? "I don't care about the rest of the kids, I only car about how you did". That's kind of how I feel about this thread. I don't really care at all about how all the rest of the teams did, I only care about the Bills success. Telling me how crappy the history of any other team doesn't make me feel any better. Nice try though.

The real problem is that out of the Bills 13 playoff seasons in 39 years, 8 of them came in a 9 year span from 1988-1996. That means that aside from the Kelly-thurman-bruce years, we've only made the playoff 5 times in the other 30 years, or roughly 16%.

Remember when you were a kid and you did bad on a test or something and you told your parents that "But everybody did bad on it". What did mom and dad always say? "I don't care about the rest of the kids, I only car about how you did". That's kind of how I feel about this thread. I don't really care at all about how all the rest of the teams did, I only care about the Bills success. Telling me how crappy the history of any other team doesn't make me feel any better. Nice try though.

That's a pretty good analogy. Nothing else matters (but our suckitude has been nearly at a Lionsian level).

Sine the Bills last made the playoffs, only 3 teams have failed to recah the playoffs (1999-2008) - the Bills, the Detroit Lions, and the Houson Texans. Since the Texans haven't even been around for that entire time I don't really think they belong on that list. The Bills and the Lions - ever other teams has figured out a way to make it to the plaoffs at least one in the last 9 years - sickening. It's alwys "next year" when you're a Bills fan - that's why we are so despondant.....

Exactly. It is sickening. I mean the Bills and the f*cking Lions?! WTF? The f*cking Lions?! Gross. <_<

The Cards from memory have been in a pretty consistently tough division with Giants, Eagles, Dallas and Washington for a number of years... Some Superbowls have come from here, must be like 8-10 and nearly 20 times as suited up opponents. Wonder what other divisions rate?