I think, actually I know some of you are over reacting

DIE HARD 1967

Go ahead and voice your frustration, I don't blame you one bit!

I can assure you that some fans are over reacting to a bad situation with a lame duck head coach and a seriously unmotivated team.

Just a few positive words of encouragement....

Most of you loved the talent level before the season, and nothing has really changed, we just don't play well.

A new , quality, experienced, head coach will love to coach this team, because we don't need a rebuilding project and the team is much better then our record. New Coaches love to step in and be hero's.

We fire the coach, hire an experienced guy and move on!

We have premium draft picks that can be traded, and upgrades can fix a few problems.

Sure the season is a total bust, but the problems are not unrepairable and remain fairly simple.

I have been a Bills season ticket holder for 41 years and fixing this mess is not that difficult!

We idenitify problems, fix them, and come back next year.

The only real problem I have personally is, I have to watch this mess for 3 more weeks.

-Die Hard 1967

What this team is really missing most desperately, with the deterioration of Schobel, is an elite pass rusher...what worries me long-term is that its REALLY tough to find those guys.

I believe we will get the players and new Head coach.

We can come back strong next year.

We need to get past this year, and regroup

I hear you, but how many years have we been collectively saying that now? Ever since the Levy/Kelly era, its been, "If we only had a <insert missing piece here>". This is really getting pathetic. Especially the monumental collapse of 2008.

I hear you, but how many years have we been collectively saying that now? Ever since the Levy/Kelly era, its been, "If we only had a <insert missing piece here>". This is really getting pathetic. Especially the monumental collapse of 2008.

I believe the the situation is better then the years of the past.

We simply do not have a ton of holes to fill

I hope you are right, but I fear it's like watching the same old movie and hoping it has a different ending.

But, at this point there's really nothing left to do but wait for the 2009 season, I guess.

DH67,

You've started several topics of late. I appreciate your optimism, but these statements are as vanilla as DJ's gameplans.

The team has several holes to fill, most notably at C, G, RT, DE, OLB, FS (EDIT: assuming Whitner does not move) TE, DT, and certainly coaching.

The situation is much worse than most realize. For example, the Bills went 7-9 in 2006 with one of the hardest schedules in the league. This season with one of the easiest, they're 6-7. That's not good, no matter how you spin it.

Coaching and players are part of it. But the people who find those parts are woefully inept. A complete house cleaning is in order, no matter how optimistic an opinion one has.

DH67,

You've started several topics of late. I appreciate your optimism, but these statements are as vanilla as DJ's gameplans.

The team has several holes to fill, most notably at C, G, RT, DE, OLB, FS (EDIT: assuming Whitner does not move) TE, DT, and certainly coaching.

The situation is much worse than most realize. For example, the Bills went 7-9 in 2006 with one of the hardest schedules in the league. This season with one of the easiest, they're 6-7. That's not good, no matter how you spin it.

Coaching and players are part of it. But the people who find those parts are woefully inept. A complete house cleaning is in order, no matter how optimistic an opinion one has.

Agree with most of this but we dont need to fill holes at DT...We have a solid D front, just need help on the ends and at the LB position. And I am not sure we need as much help at TE as we all like to say...we just need to bench Royal and see what the two young guys can do, especially Fine, before we need to say its a need position. If you are talking Royal, then yes its a need position, but the Fine and Schouman have shown some potential.

Next years schedule is Brutal, thats what scares me...

I wasn't sold, before this season started, and haven't seen much to change my mind, that this team is not nearly as talented as some here keep insisting. I don't think they are awful, but I don't think there is much of a dropoff, at most positions, from our first to second stringers...given the teams inability, again, to avoid key injuries, depth is an issue...and the Bills really don't have it...I think there are maybe, 4 of our starting 22 guys who could start on the top 10 teams in the leauge...I know the team is young, and maybe coaching is the biggest concern, but you see rookies playing lights out, every week in the NFL...except in Buffalo. We don't really get much of a contribution out of our young players...and like I said, we have a very young team...

I wasn't sold, before this season started, and haven't seen much to change my mind, that this team is not nearly as talented as some here keep insisting. I don't think they are awful, but I don't think there is much of a dropoff, at most positions, from our first to second stringers...given the teams inability, again, to avoid key injuries, depth is an issue...and the Bills really don't have it...I think there are maybe, 4 of our starting 22 guys who could start on the top 10 teams in the leauge...I know the team is young, and maybe coaching is the biggest concern, but you see rookies playing lights out, every week in the NFL...except in Buffalo. We don't really get much of a contribution out of our young players...and like I said, we have a very young team...

I believe the talent is better then most fans insist

Go ahead and voice your frustration, I don't blame you one bit!

I can assure you that some fans are over reacting to a bad situation with a lame duck head coach and a seriously unmotivated team.

Just a few positive words of encouragement....

Most of you loved the talent level before the season, and nothing has really changed, we just don't play well.

A new , quality, experienced, head coach will love to coach this team, because we don't need a rebuilding project and the team is much better then our record. New Coaches love to step in and be hero's.

We fire the coach, hire an experienced guy and move on!

We have premium draft picks that can be traded, and upgrades can fix a few problems.

Sure the season is a total bust, but the problems are not unrepairable and remain fairly simple.

I have been a Bills season ticket holder for 41 years and fixing this mess is not that difficult!

We idenitify problems, fix them, and come back next year.

The only real problem I have personally is, I have to watch this mess for 3 more weeks.

-Die Hard 1967

Yes. The sum of the Bills parts is better than what we're seeing. Get a new coach now while there is still time to develop the younger players. Another year of this staff will inflict more damage on this team.

The only direction you want from an owner is an overwhelming desire to win it all. Then turn the ship over to an experienced captain (GM) and trust him to do his job.

Didn't he try that already with TD? Not saying he shouldn't try again but knowing Ralph he'd bring back Booth Lustig before hiring a GM with the power he gave TD.

GO BILLS!!!

Talent can go to waste unless it is led and motivated properly. Use business as an example. If the owner/management has a "talented" workforce that is not meeting performance goals, isn't it up to the owner/management to refocus and motivate them? If the workforce isn't capable of meeting the performance goals, that is another thing. They need to be replaced. But if they are capable, and they aren't doing it, as a business owner, it is incumbent upon me to do something to refocus and remotiviate them. That is part of my job. If I don't do that, then I'm not doing MY job.

Granted I don't see what's going on behind the scenes at One Bills Drive, but I don't see any evidence of this team getting refocused or remotivated. It looks like the ownership and management are just standing there and watching the ship go down.

DH67,

I think you might be going a little overboard on what we actaully need here, unless you are talking about depth players and starters, but I assume you are talking about starters only. I can see a new starter at center (and preferably a new back up as well) and I can understand the OLB (hopefully some one over 6'2" and 255). I also see your point about the DE position, but I don't think we necessarily need a new starter for that position, but instead a player to compete for the starting DE job with Kelsey and if he doesn't win, he should at the least be able to play and make contributions (pass-rushing perferably).

As far as TE and DT, I think we could use rotational players. A TE who was primarily a pass-catcher would be nice to use situationally, since I find it hard to fathom Royal coming back. Another DT who can hold the point of attack would also be nice, but the only value add here would be if he's a bigger guy (height wise).

As for the rest, only FS has a chance of getting upgraded and I doubt that since they have so many DBs now. A RT and a G are pipe dreams unless you mean replacing Whittle. I'll bet D Bell is the primary back up at LT next year and they get some one to replace Chambers as a back up RT.

The talent is here, we just need to find out how to use it better.

So the ineffectiveness of our players, on the field, is all an attrbute of coahcing and schemes? To a degree, I see that as a problem with our defense. However, I think a lot of the guys we have on both sides of the ball are pretty average...better coaching might (should) get better results out of them...