Can someone please explain...

Alphadawg7

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes JP's game was much worse than what TE did agaisnt Miami and the Jet's. I'll grant you the other three games TE was as bad as JP, but those two games, excuding the turnovers, he played well, moved the ball, got first downs etc. And there was no one else doing anything offensively, no running game, poor blocking. So I really can't fault TE in those two as no one else did anything and TE did do many things right. TE also had five strong games where he looked real polished. JP even when he won, hardly ever played a strong game. The best game I can recall JP playing where he had pretty close to a complete all around good game was last year agaisnt the Bengels. In some other games JP had maybe 75 yards or so.

JP had many more productive games than you are giving credit to him for, even one game with 2 80yard+ TD's to Evans against the Fins...

6 games where he averaged over 240 yards, 9 TDs and 2 INTs and a 100 QB rating. Yeah, I think that's pretty freaking amazing for a 2nd year guy. Those are his 6 best games, but still, tell me how many other QBs did that in their 2nd year? 6 out of 10.5 games he has played very good, excellent actually.

Seriously, what do you expect him to play like? Peyton Manning? If so how many Peytons are there?

Run him out of town, get the next rookie with no real #1 and no TE and tell me how he does. Our coaching has a lot to blame for what they've done. Except for the KC game I haven't seen too much actually coaching. We saw roll-outs, play-action, and we think it's really the QB?

I'll stick with Trent until he blows up next year one way or another. He hasn't hit his ceiling yet. Where were all you clowns last week after the KC game?

You do realize this is the least meaningful stat EVER, right?

Exactly...

Archie Manning - 35-101-3 that is a horrendous record, yet he is considered one of the better QB's to have played this game by most...

Trent Edwards had how many wins his last year at Stanford? Oh yeah, ZERO...

So I love how people like to point out JP's win loss record when the team he played on doesnt even remotely resemble this team, had terrible play calling, was never given a chance to succeed, needed at least 2 full years of play in the same system, which he never had, etc.

I think both of our QB's have potential and I just dont get why everyone hates this kid JP who has been NOTHING BUT A PROFESSIONAL in all of this and NEVER a distraction when he would have been justified in making some waves the way he has been so mishandled.

Exactly...

Archie Manning - 35-101-3 that is a horrendous record, yet he is considered one of the better QB's to have played this game by most...

Trent Edwards had how many wins his last year at Stanford? Oh yeah, ZERO...

So I love how people like to point out JP's win loss record when the team he played on doesnt even remotely resemble this team, had terrible play calling, was never given a chance to succeed, needed at least 2 full years of play in the same system, which he never had, etc.

I think both of our QB's have potential and I just dont get why everyone hates this kid JP who has been NOTHING BUT A PROFESSIONAL in all of this and NEVER a distraction when he would have been justified in making some waves the way he has been so mishandled.

:P

Trent is liked because he already has more wins than JP. JP=10-21

This only serves to reinforce this point:

a lot of people's #1 reason for believing that trent edwards is the real deal is that he's not JP Losman

You do realize this is the least meaningful stat EVER, right?

Thank you.

First you should know I went out and bought a Trent Edwards jersey this year and have high hopes for him. So, I am not posting this to bash him, im just puzzled on how so many people on here can be so certain he's the next great thing because I just don't see it right now.

1. His 4th quarter comebacks this year. I love that he did this, but this is severly overrated. Those come backs were against bad teams with bad a defense. So what does that mean? It means he didnt move the ball well in the majority of the game against bad teams and had to make a comeback. Also, other players made some BIG key plays late in those games to bail him out. Hardy's amazing catch in Jax, Lynch bailing him out on 3rd an long several times and making tremendous plays and broken tackles to get the first down when TE dumped it to him 8 yards or so short of the first down...etc...I could go on and on. So, yes, he had some comebacks, but he got too much credit for them and the fact that we won overshadowed some of the offensive struggles the rest of the game.

2. His "decision making" - I just dont get this...his decision making the last several weeks has been horrendous and often looks scared to even attempt a throw down field. He made a lot of bad decisions last year too...including 2 INT's in the redzone in 2 different games that were returned for TD's costing us those games on ill advised short out patterns. So, he has a body of work that I would say demonstrates good decision making and another equal size body of work that says just the opposite.

3. His "quick decisions" - Huh? where has this been? He takes a LOT of bad sacks and often holds the ball longer than JP and Bledsoe combined. JP's problem was that he has too much confidence in his feet and thinks he can always extend the play by running around instead of throwing the ball away. TE actually can have a tremendous amount of time in the pocket and still get sacked becuase he wont let go of the ball.

4. His "poise" - Well this is all shot to heck...he has NOT dealt with adversary well and literally looks shell shocked during this rough run the last half of the season to the point he is hesitant to throw down field and fails to see open WR's in favor of a short dump off patern.

5. He's a "winner" - How is he a winner?...he didnt even win a game his last year of college. He has a mediocre record with the Bills and most wins are against teams we have way more talent than at most positions, so how does that make him the winner?

6. The dude is injury prone...big time...at all levels of football he hasnt been able to stay on the field...thats just fact.

I will be the first to admit I was high on this kid and I am still pulling for him to pull out of this. At times when things went our way, he looked like he had the calm demeanor and poise that made Montanna and Brady so good. Then things get rough and he looks more like Hannah Montanna out there than Joe Montanna. There are more bad games under this kids belt than good games and yet he is still talked about like he is the savior here.

Although parts of your assessment are indeed correct, I do not totally agree with ya here, Trent's issues can all be explained with three words, youth,youth,and youth. I can tell you, from my perspective, I think that he is ging to be a good one. What I noticed about Trent, is the very first time that he took the field, our offense moved, and there was continuity,drives being extended, keeping the defense off of the field, and his accuracy cannot be disputed. His confidence

has been shaken some, due to his recent struggles,which he has to shoulder some of the blame for, the balance falls on

bad coaching and poor play calling. You can throw Ben Rothlisberger out to me, but he is definitley the exception, and not the rule.Give him time, this kid is definitley going to be a good one, and isn't half bad right now. He is a bit injury prone,

but his position is a position that is vulnerable to injury, after all he touches the ball on every play.

Although parts of your assessment are indeed correct, I do not totally agree with ya here, Trent's issues can all be explained with three words, youth,youth,and youth. I can tell you, from my perspective, I think that he is ging to be a good one. What I noticed about Trent, is the very first time that he took the field, our offense moved, and there was continuity,drives being extended, keeping the defense off of the field, and his accuracy cannot be disputed. His confidence

has been shaken some, due to his recent struggles,which he has to shoulder some of the blame for, the balance falls on

bad coaching and poor play calling. You can throw Ben Rothlisberger out to me, but he is definitley the exception, and not the rule.Give him time, this kid is definitley going to be a good one, and isn't half bad right now. He is a bit injury prone,

but his position is a position that is vulnerable to injury, after all he touches the ball on every play.

The thing that concerns me most about Trent is the fact that he is INJURY PRONE. That has nothing to do with youth, and in fact only gets worse as a person gets older.

that's great and all, but what you say is pretty much bull sh--.

our offense doesn't have continuity, drives aren't extended, and our defense isn't being kept off the field.

Even those that really like Trent will concede that it is the sheer nature of the beast that a 2nd year QB still has a lot to learn. I think his biggest problem in recent weeks has been confidence. Partly in himself -- but even more so in his teammates. In the game against Cleveland, Jaws pointed out that Trent had no yet mastered the fine art of knowing when to throw a pass BEFORE the receiver came out of his break. Part of me has to wonder if at least some of that has to do with the youth at the WR and TE positions (especially when Reed was out).

I also do not think that it is by accident that he has struggled almost exclusively with the 3-4 defenses. It seems that defenses have adjusted to him, but he has yet to adjust to them. Throwing out the Arizona game in which he didn't even play a full series, this year Trent is 5-1 against teams that have never seen him before. He is 0-4 against teams that have. Hopefully he will learn to adjust. I also have to blame the coaching staff for not doing a better job preparing him each week.

Even those that really like Trent will concede that it is the sheer nature of the beast that a 2nd year QB still has a lot to learn. I think his biggest problem in recent weeks has been confidence. Partly in himself -- but even more so in his teammates. In the game against Cleveland, Jaws pointed out that Trent had no yet mastered the fine art of knowing when to throw a pass BEFORE the receiver came out of his break. Part of me has to wonder if at least some of that has to do with the youth at the WR and TE positions (especially when Reed was out).

I also do not think that it is by accident that he has struggled almost exclusively with the 3-4 defenses. It seems that defenses have adjusted to him, but he has yet to adjust to them. Throwing out the Arizona game in which he didn't even play a full series, this year Trent is 5-1 against teams that have never seen him before. He is 0-4 against teams that have. Hopefully he will learn to adjust. I also have to blame the coaching staff for not doing a better job preparing him each week.

Lee Evans had his best year, & overall looked much better with JP at QB & he was younger then than he is now.

As I see it though, Trent fans (I'm one of them because he's starting for the Bills) are running out of excuses. In the last 3 games, the OLine has played well opening holes and protecting the QB. The running game has come around( 161, 171,and 156 yards running the last 3 weeks). The defense has played well even holding the 49ers to 10 points. Even in the last game we only had one turnover. Good running game, good protection, and good defense against bad teams. Should be the recipe for a QB who plays well getting wins. Yet, we've only won one of these three. Bad QB play in the losses has been the constant. Accuracy has been scarce.

Trent's biggest problem is consistency. He's had alternating bouts of great and awful, some inside the same game, his whole career in Buffalo. Is there anything to make us think this will change?

Experience maybe.

Go BILLS !!

As I see it though, Trent fans (I'm one of them because he's starting for the Bills) are running out of excuses. In the last 3 games, the OLine has played well opening holes and protecting the QB. The running game has come around( 161, 171,and 156 yards running the last 3 weeks). The defense has played well even holding the 49ers to 10 points. Even in the last game we only had one turnover. Good running game, good protection, and good defense against bad teams. Should be the recipe for a QB who plays well getting wins. Yet, we've only won one of these three. Bad QB play in the losses has been the constant. Accuracy has been scarce.

Trent's biggest problem is consistency. He's had alternating bouts of great and awful, some inside the same game, his whole career in Buffalo. Is there anything to make us think this will change?

Experience maybe.

Go BILLS !!

I think we need to yank Edwards, then start him, then yank him, then start him, etc., etc., just like they did with JP. Do what they did with Losman - make him play for his job every week. It's the only way we're gonna know if Trent's any different than JP, or exactly the same. :thumbsup:

A few reasons why I like Trent:

Jim Kelly likes the guy and Jim never liked JP

He came with that letter of endorsement from Bill Walsh

He has a chemistry about him that draws people to him and root for him

He seems to have a level head on his shoulders

He knows what to say and how to say it

HE IS IN HIS SOPHMORE SEASON

He has so much upside that we are just seeing the tip of the iceberg

It takes time people.

Really? I see a guy that can play reasonably well (i.e. throw for 200+ yards and 1 TD) against weak competition, but can't get the team back in a game against a good team. Bottom line is, if the Bills need Trent Edwards to win a game for them, they're screwed. Unless, of course, you're playing against KC, Oakland, St. Louis, or Seattle. After all, the combined record of teams that Edwards defeated as starting QB this season is 17-55, while teams he's lost to as a starting QB are a combined 30-30 (I included SF but not Arizona; had I included the Cardinals, the record would be 37-35).

I think we need to yank Edwards, then start him, then yank him, then start him, etc., etc., just like they did with JP. Do what they did with Losman - make him play for his job every week. It's the only way we're gonna know if Trent's any different than JP, or exactly the same. :thumbsup:

Good post, very Crayonz like.