Can someone please explain...

Alphadawg7

First you should know I went out and bought a Trent Edwards jersey this year and have high hopes for him. So, I am not posting this to bash him, im just puzzled on how so many people on here can be so certain he's the next great thing because I just don't see it right now.

1. His 4th quarter comebacks this year. I love that he did this, but this is severly overrated. Those come backs were against bad teams with bad a defense. So what does that mean? It means he didnt move the ball well in the majority of the game against bad teams and had to make a comeback. Also, other players made some BIG key plays late in those games to bail him out. Hardy's amazing catch in Jax, Lynch bailing him out on 3rd an long several times and making tremendous plays and broken tackles to get the first down when TE dumped it to him 8 yards or so short of the first down...etc...I could go on and on. So, yes, he had some comebacks, but he got too much credit for them and the fact that we won overshadowed some of the offensive struggles the rest of the game.

2. His "decision making" - I just dont get this...his decision making the last several weeks has been horrendous and often looks scared to even attempt a throw down field. He made a lot of bad decisions last year too...including 2 INT's in the redzone in 2 different games that were returned for TD's costing us those games on ill advised short out patterns. So, he has a body of work that I would say demonstrates good decision making and another equal size body of work that says just the opposite.

3. His "quick decisions" - Huh? where has this been? He takes a LOT of bad sacks and often holds the ball longer than JP and Bledsoe combined. JP's problem was that he has too much confidence in his feet and thinks he can always extend the play by running around instead of throwing the ball away. TE actually can have a tremendous amount of time in the pocket and still get sacked becuase he wont let go of the ball.

4. His "poise" - Well this is all shot to heck...he has NOT dealt with adversary well and literally looks shell shocked during this rough run the last half of the season to the point he is hesitant to throw down field and fails to see open WR's in favor of a short dump off patern.

5. He's a "winner" - How is he a winner?...he didnt even win a game his last year of college. He has a mediocre record with the Bills and most wins are against teams we have way more talent than at most positions, so how does that make him the winner?

6. The dude is injury prone...big time...at all levels of football he hasnt been able to stay on the field...thats just fact.

I will be the first to admit I was high on this kid and I am still pulling for him to pull out of this. At times when things went our way, he looked like he had the calm demeanor and poise that made Montanna and Brady so good. Then things get rough and he looks more like Hannah Montanna out there than Joe Montanna. There are more bad games under this kids belt than good games and yet he is still talked about like he is the savior here.

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We'll find out if it is a love affair, or just a fling, when the draft comes.

–noun 13. an act of flinging.

14. a short period of unrestrained pursuit of one's wishes or desires: The week of partying was my last fling before starting a new job.

a lot of people's #1 reason for believing that trent edwards is the real deal is that he's not JP Losman

That's probably the best explanation. It's amazing what people forget. Didn't J.P. basically call himself out and put himself on the spot and gave himself one final chance, which was the Jacksonville game that he totally blew...why would you want that guy leading your team ever again? I think it's fair to say that the true assessments will probably come next year when it is Trent or bust (even though it already is now).

a lot of people's #1 reason for believing that trent edwards is the real deal is that he's not JP Losman

<_< right on the money I think with that...awesome...

funny thing is if we had someone a highly touted backup who hasnt had a chance to plya yet like say a Brady Quinn on our bench, this forum would probably be calling for Edwards head right about now.

We'll find out if it is a love affair, or just a fling, when the draft comes.

–noun 13. an act of flinging.

14. a short period of unrestrained pursuit of one's wishes or desires: The week of partying was my last fling before starting a new job.

You can forget about them drafting a QB. Do not be surprised if it's a LB.

<_< right on the money I think with that...awesome...

funny thing is if we had someone a highly touted backup who hasnt had a chance to plya yet like say a Brady Quinn on our bench, this forum would probably be calling for Edwards head right about now.

And rightfully so...like I said before...JP's ship has sailed, his words before the Jax game last year. How do you justify giving a guy who blew his last chance another chance?

1) Bill Walsh Endorsed him.

2) Quick Release.

3) Rookie season put up similar numbers to a 4 year veteran.

I personally believe that all of Trent's problems recently are related to Coaching and not the player.

That's probably the best explanation. It's amazing what people forget. Didn't J.P. basically call himself out and put himself on the spot and gave himself one final chance, which was the Jacksonville game that he totally blew...why would you want that guy leading your team ever again? I think it's fair to say that the true assessments will probably come next year when it is Trent or bust (even though it already is now).

So just because JP said the Jax game was a "statement" game (when the Jags were a good team, the Bills were on the road, he didn't have Lynch, and the defense and ST's didn't play well), he should never be allowed to lead the team again? Was that game any worse than any of Trent's games over the last 5 losses? So because he avoided calling any of them a "statement" game, he's free and clear? I just don't get this.

As I said elsewhere, start Hamdan. Starting JP tells me the coaches are playing for their jobs, because playing him may lead to some wins but get the Bills nowhere since he's gone at the end of the year. The Bills at least stand a good chance of re-signing Hamdan if he plays well.

Because he has shown glimpses of greatness. He has had drives and games where he has completed virtually every pass with precision and accuracy. He has not made a bunch of dumb mental errors. I have not yet seen him just chuck a ball up and hope (though I have missed 2 of his worst games).

He is a smart and likeable guy. And great QBs have a track record of starting off this way.

Is he going to be great? Well who knows...but he is our best chance right now and I see potential. We gotta rude the kid and let him work through this. After next season, if he is not at least an average QB, we need to start looking again...but right now, let the kid play...

A few reasons why I like Trent:

Jim Kelly likes the guy and Jim never liked JP

He came with that letter of endorsement from Bill Walsh

He has a chemistry about him that draws people to him and root for him

He seems to have a level head on his shoulders

He knows what to say and how to say it

HE IS IN HIS SOPHMORE SEASON

He has so much upside that we are just seeing the tip of the iceberg

It takes time people.

First you should know I went out and bought a Trent Edwards jersey this year and have high hopes for him. So, I am not posting this to bash him, im just puzzled on how so many people on here can be so certain he's the next great thing because I just don't see it right now.

1. His 4th quarter comebacks this year. I love that he did this, but this is severly overrated. Those come backs were against bad teams with bad a defense. So what does that mean? It means he didnt move the ball well in the majority of the game against bad teams and had to make a comeback. Also, other players made some BIG key plays late in those games to bail him out. Hardy's amazing catch in Jax, Lynch bailing him out on 3rd an long several times and making tremendous plays and broken tackles to get the first down when TE dumped it to him 8 yards or so short of the first down...etc...I could go on and on. So, yes, he had some comebacks, but he got too much credit for them and the fact that we won overshadowed some of the offensive struggles the rest of the game.

2. His "decision making" - I just dont get this...his decision making the last several weeks has been horrendous and often looks scared to even attempt a throw down field. He made a lot of bad decisions last year too...including 2 INT's in the redzone in 2 different games that were returned for TD's costing us those games on ill advised short out patterns. So, he has a body of work that I would say demonstrates good decision making and another equal size body of work that says just the opposite.

3. His "quick decisions" - Huh? where has this been? He takes a LOT of bad sacks and often holds the ball longer than JP and Bledsoe combined. JP's problem was that he has too much confidence in his feet and thinks he can always extend the play by running around instead of throwing the ball away. TE actually can have a tremendous amount of time in the pocket and still get sacked becuase he wont let go of the ball.

4. His "poise" - Well this is all shot to heck...he has NOT dealt with adversary well and literally looks shell shocked during this rough run the last half of the season to the point he is hesitant to throw down field and fails to see open WR's in favor of a short dump off patern.

5. He's a "winner" - How is he a winner?...he didnt even win a game his last year of college. He has a mediocre record with the Bills and most wins are against teams we have way more talent than at most positions, so how does that make him the winner?

6. The dude is injury prone...big time...at all levels of football he hasnt been able to stay on the field...thats just fact.

I will be the first to admit I was high on this kid and I am still pulling for him to pull out of this. At times when things went our way, he looked like he had the calm demeanor and poise that made Montanna and Brady so good. Then things get rough and he looks more like Hannah Montanna out there than Joe Montanna. There are more bad games under this kids belt than good games and yet he is still talked about like he is the savior here.

Why did yoy buy his jersey?

A few reasons why I like Trent:

Jim Kelly likes the guy and Jim never liked JP

He came with that letter of endorsement from Bill Walsh

He has a chemistry about him that draws people to him and root for him

He seems to have a level head on his shoulders

He knows what to say and how to say it

HE IS IN HIS SOPHMORE SEASON

He has so much upside that we are just seeing the tip of the iceberg

It takes time people.

Jim Kelly likes the guy and Jim never liked JP: LINK

Trent looked good early on. Lately he looks bad. I don't think anyone is giving him a free pass. He hasn't played himself out of Buffalo (yet) but I suspect he won't be the definitive starter going into camp next year either. He'll have to earn his job against some journeyman like David Garrard.

Trent faked a groin injury in a pivotal game, to save face for both his lame coaches and let JP take the fans' abuse. So, now we have JP, the QB with no Brain, and Trent, the one with no Heart.

Where's Dorothy when we need her?

Yes JP's game was much worse than what TE did agaisnt Miami and the Jet's. I'll grant you the other three games TE was as bad as JP, but those two games, excuding the turnovers, he played well, moved the ball, got first downs etc. And there was no one else doing anything offensively, no running game, poor blocking. So I really can't fault TE in those two as no one else did anything and TE did do many things right. TE also had five strong games where he looked real polished. JP even when he won, hardly ever played a strong game. The best game I can recall JP playing where he had pretty close to a complete all around good game was last year agaisnt the Bengels. In some other games JP had maybe 75 yards or so. TE may not be the answer, he may be one to look good one week and terrible the next, but no one knows that yet. For those of you who claim to be smart enough to know he's not the answer, the odds are in your favor as there are many more failures than sucesses at QB in the NFL.

All his poor games were agaisnt 3-4's. Does that mean he'll never learn how to play agaisnt a 3-4 or will it just take more time, don't know. Most of the losses, he also had some starters out with injuries. The Bill's have an OK starting lineup, but as soon as anyone gets hurt, there's little depth. So it takes very little for him to look bad. As he gains more experience, then maybe if a couple players are out he can still handle it. Or maybe not, only time will tell.

TE has looked to strong some weeks to right him off yet at a position that there exists a shortage of qualified starters in the NFL. So until you give him enough time to determine for certain, you don't give up as good QB's are a rarity in the league.

Was that game any worse than any of Trent's games over the last 5 losses?