Can someone please explain...

Alphadawg7

First of all, did know that the Two Bills Drive cookie is browser specific?..Had to go to Mozilla to get this reply in....

JP problems are fixable as well, he needs a system that puts a square peg in a square hole....that is uses his wheels...that means he needs a roll out offense...and a verticle game/mentality...he has the great long arm...and Buffalo does not use it enough...perhaps because of lack of a second/third burner like Evans. I expect JP to end up as a starting QB in this league and play another 10 years. He has been somewhat ruined here by bad coaching....he is learning all the time...from the time that Troy Vincent roughed him up in season 1. Yep, he was really green.....but he isn't anymore. If I was a GM needing QB help, JP would be on the top of my free agent list this winter. And Trent...well....a below average but "acceptable" arm brings him closer to Chad Pennington than JP in that regard. Finally, all this talk about Kelly's indorsement. Jim's picks like that...well, I remember he did not have the mentality to move to #2 and be the backup....Jim has other issues...maybe JP did not want to be mentored by Jim....anyhow, personnal chemistry is a funny thing...and it just isn't there for that pair.

A roll-out offense? Or do you mean a few plays designed with a rolling pocket to be used from time to time? Because if you really DO mean a "roll-out" offense where the QB rolls out the MAJORITY of the time, then your offense will be in deep sh*t before you know it. Rolling to one side of the field makes it VERY easy for defenses to defend you because rolling out takes away 2/3 of the field for an offense to use and the defense to defend. Especially an NFL defense where everyone is fast to the ball.

Once in awhile, against certain Ds in certain situations, yeah, I agree. It's a nice way to take advantage of JP's athleticism and he's very good throwing on the run. But it would never be a successful offensive 'system' when used regularly. The best systems are those that utilize the entire field and tend to be balanced.

But if you can point to successful 'roll-out' offenses currently in use around the league, I'd be interested.

As for the JP's arm strength and the long ball, there is no doubt. He's blessed with one of the strongest arms in the league. Problem is, the long ball is the EASIEST pass for a defense to take away, especially in the absence of multiple deep threats. Teams have made it a point to take that away from the Bills since the Texans game in '06 because they know Evans is the only guy to hurt you consistantly. It would help more if we had a TE or slot receiver that commanded attention in the deep middle as well but we don't and that makes it tougher on Evans. But that's a subject for another post.

GO BILLS!!!

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What most of you don't realize is that the Bills screwed up JP and his development by forcing him to win games with a very weak running attack,almost always in third and long. He did that in 06 and he actually got better at it.

The problem started in 07 when he was looking over his should a lot and frankly the coaches lost confidence in him and started Trent Edwards. Still with a very weak running attack that kept them in 3rd and long way to often.

Its this SAME problem that is hindering Trent Edwards progress. This current coaching staff's catastrophic failure to build a focused rushing attack.Even when the Bills have a running back that is literally killing the opponent they STOP utilizing him and force the back up QB to throw it up,or TRY*to throw it up

* Losman's last drive against the 49ers, 80 yards to go and he throws 3 passes to the back in the flat,2 of the 3 were over thrown and one sack....

Lynch was killing the 49ers all game so when they needed him most in the 4th qtr they didn't use him but one time,makes no logical sense.

As long as this staff continues to force any QB to win games by themselves the team will continue to lose games.

Losman always looks like he knows what hes doing. Losman is the guy for the job. I especially like how he dances in the pocket like a squirrel. Like a squirrel being indecisive about which direction to go right before a truck runs him over. The other thing I like about Losman is he is a giant among men. He really takes command of the field. I always feel confident when he's under center knowing good things are going to happen. His sheer genius at reading and picking apart defenses is second to none. Losman is also a great leader. He's like Patton on the eve of D-Day. It's easy to tell, the players just respond to the guy on the field. It's amazing how easy JP makes the game look. :unsure:
This was positively hilarious :bag:

It was the perfect rendition of JP in that 49re game, 1:47 to go and 81 yards.... This is most every QB's dream to be able to make a final drive to win the game.

Instead, it was JP's nightmare as he overthrew the first pass to the back,then sacked on the 2nd play,then over threw Josh Reed ...and on 4th down he finally hit Lynch at the line of scrimmage when he needed at least 10 yards for a single first down.

Whats especially mind numbing is the fact that the 49ers only brought 4 rushers that entire series,they dropped the linebackers into coverage and dropped the safeties deep each play leaving single coverage...

Compete and utter travesty,a QB with no confidence... He didn't even try to wing one down field.no guts no glory...sad really.

Look for more of the same Sunday if the Bills refuse to focus on mounting an effective running game.

A roll-out offense? Or do you mean a few plays designed with a rolling pocket to be used from time to time? Because if you really DO mean a "roll-out" offense where the QB rolls out the MAJORITY of the time, then your offense will be in deep sh*t before you know it. Rolling to one side of the field makes it VERY easy for defenses to defend you because rolling out takes away 2/3 of the field for an offense to use and the defense to defend. Especially an NFL defense where everyone is fast to the ball.

Once in awhile, against certain Ds in certain situations, yeah, I agree. It's a nice way to take advantage of JP's athleticism and he's very good throwing on the run. But it would never be a successful offensive 'system' when used regularly. The best systems are those that utilize the entire field and tend to be balanced.

But if you can point to successful 'roll-out' offenses currently in use around the league, I'd be interested.

As for the JP's arm strength and the long ball, there is no doubt. He's blessed with one of the strongest arms in the league. Problem is, the long ball is the EASIEST pass for a defense to take away, especially in the absence of multiple deep threats. Teams have made it a point to take that away from the Bills since the Texans game in '06 because they know Evans is the only guy to hurt you consistantly. It would help more if we had a TE or slot receiver that commanded attention in the deep middle as well but we don't and that makes it tougher on Evans. But that's a subject for another post.

GO BILLS!!!

I think he means if JP has the freedom to move around in the pocket as Flutie did, rather than just stand like a statue in the pocket as Fairchild forced him to he will be more successful.

I think he means if JP has the freedom to move around in the pocket as Flutie did, rather than just stand like a statue in the pocket as Fairchild forced him to he will be more successful.

I have been saying that for three years now. The dude has no brain, but he sure has wheels. People all lambasted me for suggesting they create game plans that include a crazy, running QB, because he might get hurt. I still think that was lame criticism, but man, it came from everywhere, so I gave that crap up.

Thank you for saying it. :P

Thing is, with his career in Buffalo all but over, if JP has half the balls I wish he did, he'd just run and make plays with his feet and abandon whatever bullcrap pocket-QB type plays Turk throws in there. Just say F. U. and do whatever he wants. What are they gonna do, put in Hamdan???????

I have been saying that for three years now. The dude has no brain, but he sure has wheels. People all lambasted me for suggesting they create game plans that include a crazy, running QB, because he might get hurt. I still think that was lame criticism, but man, it came from everywhere, so I gave that crap up.

Thing is, with his career in Buffalo all but over, if JP has half the balls I wish he did, he'd just run and make plays with his feet and abandon whatever bullcrap pocket-QB type plays Turk throws in there. Just say F. U. and do whatever he wants. What are they gonna do, put in Hamdan???????

I'd actually like to see Hamdan in there. Just for the hell of it. Why play JP? We know what he can't do. :wacko:

I'd actually like to see Hamdan in there. Just for the hell of it. Why play JP? We know what he can't do. :P

Starting the third QB (even if it's logical because JP will be gone by next season) is symbolic of throwing in the towel. If we become mathetmatically eliminated and TE is still injured, I wouldn't mind seeing us throw Hamdan in there for a start or two. But while we're still in the playoff hunt, they should follow the depth chart.

I agree. JP might be better off just letting it rip. Seems as though this coaching staff and the previous one tried to limit him using his feet. Some of the best plays I've seen him make are when he's run around and then found someone to throw the ball to. He also had some impressive runs earlier in his career. Obviously that can't be an overall strategy, but let this guy play to his strength which is not sitting in the pocket analyzing. Hell, I'd tell him that when the pocket is collapsing around you and if you can't throw to someone, get the hell out of there. Move!

Guest dog14787
First you should know I went out and bought a Trent Edwards jersey this year and have high hopes for him. So, I am not posting this to bash him, im just puzzled on how so many people on here can be so certain he's the next great thing because I just don't see it right now.

1. His 4th quarter comebacks this year. I love that he did this, but this is severly overrated. Those come backs were against bad teams with bad a defense. So what does that mean? It means he didnt move the ball well in the majority of the game against bad teams and had to make a comeback. Also, other players made some BIG key plays late in those games to bail him out. Hardy's amazing catch in Jax, Lynch bailing him out on 3rd an long several times and making tremendous plays and broken tackles to get the first down when TE dumped it to him 8 yards or so short of the first down...etc...I could go on and on. So, yes, he had some comebacks, but he got too much credit for them and the fact that we won overshadowed some of the offensive struggles the rest of the game.

2. His "decision making" - I just dont get this...his decision making the last several weeks has been horrendous and often looks scared to even attempt a throw down field. He made a lot of bad decisions last year too...including 2 INT's in the redzone in 2 different games that were returned for TD's costing us those games on ill advised short out patterns. So, he has a body of work that I would say demonstrates good decision making and another equal size body of work that says just the opposite.

3. His "quick decisions" - Huh? where has this been? He takes a LOT of bad sacks and often holds the ball longer than JP and Bledsoe combined. JP's problem was that he has too much confidence in his feet and thinks he can always extend the play by running around instead of throwing the ball away. TE actually can have a tremendous amount of time in the pocket and still get sacked becuase he wont let go of the ball.

4. His "poise" - Well this is all shot to heck...he has NOT dealt with adversary well and literally looks shell shocked during this rough run the last half of the season to the point he is hesitant to throw down field and fails to see open WR's in favor of a short dump off patern.

5. He's a "winner" - How is he a winner?...he didnt even win a game his last year of college. He has a mediocre record with the Bills and most wins are against teams we have way more talent than at most positions, so how does that make him the winner?

6. The dude is injury prone...big time...at all levels of football he hasnt been able to stay on the field...thats just fact.

I will be the first to admit I was high on this kid and I am still pulling for him to pull out of this. At times when things went our way, he looked like he had the calm demeanor and poise that made Montanna and Brady so good. Then things get rough and he looks more like Hannah Montanna out there than Joe Montanna. There are more bad games under this kids belt than good games and yet he is still talked about like he is the savior here.

TE hasn't played the same since he went down in the Cardinals game and in my opinion is suffering long term effects from a severe concussion. Add the fact that our style offense is very sophisticated and everything has to be in perfect working order to work properly and you have recipe for disaster. Theres nothing wrong with TE that time and a different style offense won't cure.

TE hasn't played the same since he went down in the Cardinals game and in my opinion is suffering long term effects from a severe concussion. Add the fact that our style offense is very sophisticated and everything has to be in perfect working order to work properly and you have recipe for disaster. Theres nothing wrong with TE that time and a different style offense won't cure.

That is one possibility, another possibility is teams now have enough film on Trent to know how to defend against him.

Guest dog14787
That is one possibility, another possibility is teams now have enough film on Trent to know how to defend against him.

Another possibility is they have enough film on the screwed up , highly predictable offense we try to run. :)

And yet another possibility, Confidence!

The confidence in your blockers that they won't get you killed because they fail to pick up a blitzer and he won't get completely jacked up like he did in Arizona. Once a QB starts hearing phantom footsteps and seeing phantom rushers the opposing defense has already won.

The confidence in his receivers so that when he releases his pass and the wide out hasn't made his cut yet he knows that the receiver will turn the proper direction to catch his pass and it won't be intercepted.Your receivers run the wrong routes or drop passes the QB loses confidence that he can safely throw to a spot instead of waiting for a receiver to break open.

I don't have much faith in JP Losman anymore after the pathetic display of complete lack of confidence he had in that 49er game. With 1:47 left to play and 81 yards to go he over threw two passes to the line of scrimmage and took a sack instead of throwing it away. He last throw on 4th down was a completion to Lynch at the line of scrimmage where he was tackled immediately. He...didn't... even ...try ...to wing one downfield!

I might be giving him credit, but I'm not crowning him yet either, as I said before, he is really young, but in my opinion,

has shown quite a bit of poise, and future upside, whether or not JP was afforded the advantage of a better line or backs,

is a mute point, and may not have been fair, but it is what it is, besides like I said before, and I am going back to last year, even as far as preseason, when both were playing regularly, to me, there has been a marked improvement in the overall efficiency of our offense when Trent is directing it.

Put win and lost record of the teams that Edwards started againts last year and the same for Losman and you'll see why the offense looked better. If Losman played againts the teams that Edwards started againts last year, Losman would've been starting this year. I don't think Edwards could've beating Jacksonville with A-train starting at runningback. He would play the same way as he played this year without a running game.

Easy answer to this thread starter: He's better than Losman, and has shown more in his first two years than many of today's best in their first two years, both Mannings included.

Trent needs to focus his attention on parsing the 34 defense this offseason. When he can read that scheme on the fly and make adjustments that the coaches can't due to the expiration of the headset mike (most defensive alignment changes and cues come in this period, forcing QBs to make the decisions) then I believe he'll be a top 10 QB in the league, and someone we'll be very proud of.

Losman will remain Losman. I believe we've already seen his ceiling, and it's not high enough to ever be a starter in this league. He will be a career backup - I'll take any wager on that.

Easy answer to this thread starter: He's better than Losman, and has shown more in his first two years than many of today's best in their first two years, both Mannings included.

Trent needs to focus his attention on parsing the 34 defense this offseason. When he can read that scheme on the fly and make adjustments that the coaches can't due to the expiration of the headset mike (most defensive alignment changes and cues come in this period, forcing QBs to make the decisions) then I believe he'll be a top 10 QB in the league, and someone we'll be very proud of.

Losman will remain Losman. I believe we've already seen his ceiling, and it's not high enough to ever be a starter in this league. He will be a career backup - I'll take any wager on that.

\

Losmans leaving at the end of the season, so who cares. good thing the bills aren't playing at rich stadium today and edwards starting, because his arm would never be able to throw in this wind because he sucks

HE SHOWED MORE IN HIS FIRST TWO YEARS THAN PEYTON MANNING, WHO TOOK HIS TEAM TO A 13-3 RECORD AND WENT TO THE PLAYOFFS IN YEAR 2? Oh wait, you must've meant Eli, WHO WENT 11-5 AND TOOK THE GIANTS TO THE PLAYOFFS.

At least pretend to know what it is you're posting. You're statement isn't accurate just because you want it to be.

bandit, you're right, I wasn't specific enough. Those teams were indeed better, all around - I had both of their rookie seasons in mind, not their second, and comparing them to Edwards stats this year, his first as a starter from the beginning. So not a very clean comparison on my part.

Nevertheless...Edwards' struggles have come against 34 defenses only...that's where his study should focus. It doesn't help him that we have a first-year coordinator who is learning on the job. He's going to be a good one. It's not his fault that the Bills have sucked for years and fans have grown so impatient.