REMINDER: MAC Championship game on ESPN2 Friday 8pm

PromoTheRobot

I don't think too many casual fans realize that Ball State is ranked #12 in the BCS. They are much better than anyone UB will face in their Bowl game. Basically if UB wins it will be a monumental upset and they have the offense to do it. The question is can they hold Ball State to less than 45 points?!? I doubt it. UB's defense is very ordinary or even subpar. Maybe they can pull it together for this one game. Either way, I'll be watching. It will be exciting for sure.

I don't think too many casual fans realize that Ball State is ranked #12 in the BCS. They are much better than anyone UB will face in their Bowl game. Basically if UB wins it will be a monumental upset and they have the offense to do it. The question is can they hold Ball State to less than 45 points?!? I doubt it. UB's defense is very ordinary or even subpar. Maybe they can pull it together for this one game. Either way, I'll be watching. It will be exciting for sure.

Ball State is supposed to have a pretty good (not great) defense, but I don't know if they had to face a team that has two offensive threats like WR Naaman Roosevelt and RB James Starks. Plus QB Drew Willy seems to get better the more pressure you put on him. Offensively, the Bulls can run with Ball State.

Defense is another story. UB got shredded by Kent State's run game last Friday. They have a pretty good rusher in Ronald Hillaire and three very good DBs in Domenic Cook, Davonte Shannon and Kendrick Hawkins, but the rest of the D are mostly freshmen. They have been pushed around all season, but they do manage to make a clutch stop when they need to.

Let's hope for a good game. Most MAC games tend to be high-scoring affairs anyway. If it's any indication, UB hung with both nationally ranked opponents this year. (Pitt and Mizzou) A win by UB would be the greatest in a season of firsts. Who are we...UB!

PTR

Ball State is supposed to have a pretty good (not great) defense, but I don't know if they had to face a team that has two offensive threats like WR Naaman Roosevelt and RB James Starks. Plus QB Drew Willy seems to get better the more pressure you put on him. Offensively, the Bulls can run with Ball State.

Defense is another story. UB got shredded by Kent State's run game last Friday. They have a pretty good rusher in Ronald Hillaire and three very good DBs in Domenic Cook, Davonte Shannon and Kendrick Hawkins, but the rest of the D are mostly freshmen. They have been pushed around all season, but they do manage to make a clutch stop when they need to.

Let's hope for a good game. Most MAC games tend to be high-scoring affairs anyway. If it's any indication, UB hung with both nationally ranked opponents this year. (Pitt and Mizzou) A win by UB would be the greatest in a season of firsts. Who are we...UB!

PTR

wow - analysis of Ball State and not one mention of their great QB, Nate Davis. This kid would be a Heismann candidate if he went to a bigger school.

Go Bulls!

wow - analysis of Ball State and not one mention of their great QB, Nate Davis. This kid would be a Heismann candidate if he went to a bigger school.

Go Bulls!

Um, i think he was analyzing the UB players...at least those are the players he listed. An yes, Nate Davis is sick. As a matter of fact Western Michigan and Central Mich in that same division also have excellent QB's. All would be heralded at larger schools.

Go Bulls!

I was focusing on UB, not Ball State. No question BSU is crazy talented. They ain't #12 for nothing. I still think UB as a shot.

PTR

Can someone explain something to me? Are they going to be in another "Bowl" game after this, whether they win or lose? Is the MAC championship considered a "Bowl" game?

Conference Championship games aren't bowl games. They are part of the regular NCAA season. Some Conferences simply schedule an intraconference playoff for the end of the regular (NCAA) season. I think these are usually conferences with two, or more, divisions, like the SEC.

Can someone explain something to me? Are they going to be in another "Bowl" game after this, whether they win or lose? Is the MAC championship considered a "Bowl" game?

Conference Championship games aren't bowl games. They are part of the regular NCAA season. Some Conferences simply schedule an intraconference playoff for the end of the regular (NCAA) season. I think these are usually conferences with two, or more, divisions, like the SEC.

The MAC is contracted to 3 bowl games: Motor City, GMAC and International Bowl. So the conference champ, the runner-up, and one other team are guaranteed a bowl appearance as long as are at least .500. So win-or-lose, UB goes bowling. It's all but a done deal they will go to Toronto to face a Big East opponent, likely UCONN, on Jan 3.

PTR

Manhood questioned for turning down total screw-over.

This writer is a total douchenozzle for suggesting Ball State is too scared to play Boise State in the Humanitarian Bowl. The offer Boise State made to BSU was so lopsided and stacked in the Broncos favor, Ball State should have their collective heads examined if they said yes.

First off, the Hum-Bowl is played in Boise's home stadium. Second, Boise State almost never loses at home. Third, Ball State would have to take less money to play. Not to mention most Ball State fans can't travel that far for a game.

You want to tell me no neutral site Bowl game would take this matchup? It had to be played in Boise? I don't buy it. Besides...Ball State will be 12-1 after tomorrow anyway. :worthy:

P.S...I hope Turner Gill is posting all this on some billboard so his players now how much Ball State is looking past them.

PTR

Any decent showing by Ball State against Boise (even a loss) would benefit the program (and the conference) FAR more than going to the bowl they will eventually attend, IMO. Sometimes you have to go out on a limb, even if it is unfair on its face.

This writer is a total douchenozzle for suggesting Ball State is too scared to play Boise State in the Humanitarian Bowl. The offer Boise State made to BSU was so lopsided and stacked in the Broncos favor, Ball State should have their collective heads examined if they said yes.

First off, the Hum-Bowl is played in Boise's home stadium. Second, Boise State almost never loses at home. Third, Ball State would have to take less money to play. Not to mention most Ball State fans can't travel that far for a game.

You want to tell me no neutral site Bowl game would take this matchup? It had to be played in Boise? I don't buy it. Besides...Ball State will be 12-1 after tomorrow anyway. :w00t:

P.S...I hope Turner Gill is posting all this on some billboard so his players now how much Ball State is looking past them.

PTR

You forgot to mention that hideous blue turf. :worthy:

Any decent showing by Ball State against Boise (even a loss) would benefit the program (and the conference) FAR more than going to the bowl they will eventually attend, IMO. Sometimes you have to go out on a limb, even if it is unfair on its face.

I don't buy that argument. The only way Ball State benefits is by winning, and that game would be so lopsided in favor of Boise State it would be a total joke. All Ball State would be is a patsy for Boise State. This is more about Boise inflating their program than helping out Ball State.

PTR

This writer is a total douchenozzle for suggesting Ball State is too scared to play Boise State in the Humanitarian Bowl.

PTR

#1) This writer is a "douchenozzle ?" for more than that PTR. This from his article :'Let’s start with the North Carolina State. The Wolfpack is 6-6, but that record is deceiving, as Tom O’Brien’s squad won its last four games of the season after making a quarterback change. N.C. State will enter the Motor City Bowl high on confidence and swagger. "

Uhm, no that is not correct. Russell Wilson has been the starter all year, did not play 2nd game of year due to injury. I only say that as I know Russell Wilson personally and follow how he is doing every week . BTW 1st team all ACC as a redhirt freshman, ya'll will know that name next year!!!

#2) To your PS point, I agree 100%. Not one article on where Ball St woill play next has even mentioned the POSSIBILITY that they might lose to UB. Fug em all go Bulls

I don't buy that argument. The only way Ball State benefits is by winning, and that game would be so lopsided in favor of Boise State it would be a total joke. All Ball State would be is a patsy for Boise State. This is more about Boise inflating their program than helping out Ball State.

PTR

i think your wrong Promo. I see where you are coming from but if they accepted this bowl bid it would of been the most talked about, highly anticipated non bcs bowl game ever. Would the odds be stacked against them? Sure, would they probably lose, sure, but now they are probably going to be relegated to the GMAC where they are going to play a middle of the rode ACC team such as NC ST & noone is going to give a dam about the game. They could of brought some great free marketing & credibility to the MAC if they would of won. Boise is probably is going to go out to SD to play TCU which should be a great game also.

The one other option I heard is the Liberty Bowl might be able to get these 2 teams together. They should play. All the crappy bowl games that we are endured to, this is one I would like to see.

BTW, I like Ball St to win tonight in a closer then expected game - 34-27.

i think your wrong Promo. I see where you are coming from but if they accepted this bowl bid it would of been the most talked about, highly anticipated non bcs bowl game ever. Would the odds be stacked against them? Sure, would they probably lose, sure, but now they are probably going to be relegated to the GMAC where they are going to play a middle of the rode ACC team such as NC ST & noone is going to give a dam about the game. They could of brought some great free marketing & credibility to the MAC if they would of won. Boise is probably is going to go out to SD to play TCU which should be a great game also.

The one other option I heard is the Liberty Bowl might be able to get these 2 teams together. They should play. All the crappy bowl games that we are endured to, this is one I would like to see.

BTW, I like Ball St to win tonight in a closer then expected game - 34-27.

But don't you think it's horsecrap that Boise State was dictating terms to Ball State? If Boise State wanted the game so bad, why didn't they negotiate a neutral site bowl instead of one played in their home stadium? I object to Ball State being called "chicken" for turning down a set up game.

PTR

But don't you think it's horsecrap that Boise State was dictating terms to Ball State? If Boise State wanted the game so bad, why didn't they negotiate a neutral site bowl instead of one played in their home stadium? I object to Ball State being called "chicken" for turning down a set up game.

PTR

Sure it was an offer that was very much in their (Boise's) favor, and it is stupid to call Ball State "chicken"...that's simply stupid.

But, I'm with Gordio on this one. I think they should have taken the game.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.