Plaxico Burress shoots himself?

bills44

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The contract has gotta be considered voidable. Much like Aaron Boone tearing his ACL while playing basketball when he was with the Yanks.

If I were the Giants, I would sue him for a portion of his signing bonus. Or release him. The Giants don't need him and in the 2 games they have played without him, they have won handily.

What an idiot. Why would he even carry a gun in a nightclub? Can't possibly contribute to anything but trouble. If he is worried about his safety then he should not be out on the town or at a minimum hire a bodyguard. Stupid incidents like this are why I appreciate Marv Levy insisting on going after players with high character.

I get to see the circus here in Dallas every day. Their collection of players prone to moronic acts like this have not turned them into a good team.

What a moron. At minimum, the Giants can put him on the non-football injury list, which means they don't have to pay him. They certainly could sue him for his signing bonus back if this is career-threatening.

But really, why waste the effort? Cut him immediately, and end all speculation. You're poised to repeat as Super Bowl champs. Get rid of the cancer and forget it was there.

What an idiot. Why would he even carry a gun in a nightclub? Can't possibly contribute to anything but trouble. If he is worried about his safety then he should not be out on the town or at a minimum hire a bodyguard. Stupid incidents like this are why I appreciate Marv Levy insisting on going after players with high character.

I get to see the circus here in Dallas every day. Their collection of players prone to moronic acts like this have not turned them into a good team.

Maybe because of what happened to Javon Walker. Or the O-lineman from Jacksonville. Or the Denver Bronco DB that was killed. Or because of what happened to Sean Taylor.

Maybe because of what happened to Javon Walker. Or the O-lineman from Jacksonville. Or the Denver Bronco DB that was killed. Or because of what happened to Sean Taylor.

Then why go to these nightclubs? Stay home and be your family. I've been to many bars/night clubs in many different cities. Never have I been in a gun fight or in a situation where I would want a gun. Plax is dumb-remember the spike in his rookie year? He actually did it twice in one season. He thinks he's better than the team. I'm not a Giants fans but its nice to see them winning without the selfish players, plax, shockey, barber.

Hopefully other teams follow their lead and these fools will be out of the league.

My point exactly - don't go to places where you feel you need a gun. Do not hang out with people who cause you to believe you are threatened enough to have to carry a gun. There are plenty of places to go where you can have fun and nothave to put yourself in this situation.

Then why go to these nightclubs? Stay home and be your family. I've been to many bars/night clubs in many different cities. Never have I been in a gun fight or in a situation where I would want a gun. Plax is dumb-remember the spike in his rookie year? He actually did it twice in one season. He thinks he's better than the team. I'm not a Giants fans but its nice to see them winning without the selfish players, plax, shockey, barber.

Hopefully other teams follow their lead and these fools will be out of the league.

When was the last time you were famous and made $5 million a year? Why should these guys imprison themselves in their homes?

BTW. I agree, Plex is stupid, but not for carrying a gun though. For shooting himself, yes.

The contract has gotta be considered voidable. Much like Aaron Boone tearing his ACL while playing basketball when he was with the Yanks.

If I were the Giants, I would sue him for a portion of his signing bonus. Or release him. The Giants don't need him and in the 2 games they have played without him, they have won handily.

It's a non-football related injury and I'm not sure how those are handled anymore in the CBA agreements. I believe they can do something about this financially like put him on a non-football injury list and not pay him for the rest of the year. In order to get signing bonus back it would have to be an injury that ends his career. I think.

Amen. Unfortunately it seems the FO isn't taking that mantra as seriously these days.

Linkage

This article may be for Insiders only so I'll just copy a few points.

Living Scared

A year after Sean Taylor's murder, NFL players still live in fear. - by David Fleming

First comes the gate, a heavy metal barrier that halts visitors' cars about 100 feet from Clinton Portis' waterfront condo in Miami. It's manned by a security guard who reaches out from behind thick glass to check the ID of each driver and passenger, while high-tech cameras snap pictures of their faces and license plates, before allowing them to pass. The immaculately groomed grounds of cobblestone and palm trees are fortified with well-disguised cameras by the front door, the loading dock, the concierge desk and the private guest elevator. After navigating past those, plus a metal door secured with a dead bolt and a wall-mounted computerized alarm system, guests are finally allowed entry into Portis' sanctuary in the sky.

You can see the impact of Taylor's death in the body language of 315-pound Chiefs rookie Branden Albert as he leaves a club, checking and rechecking his rearview mirror to make sure he isn't being followed. It's in the nervous laughter of Steelers QB Ben Roethlisberger when he recalls the time a weapon was waved in his face. It compels Jaguars running back Fred Taylor to use the car with the less showy factory rims when he goes out at night. It's in the candid conversations Titans center Kevin Mawae says happen in every locker room around the league. And it's in the near whisper of Texans cornerback Dunta Robinson as he talks, for the first time publicly, about his own home invasion.

Violence against athletes is not new, of course, and not isolated to the NFL. Just last summer in Chicago, NBA players Antoine Walker and Eddy Curry were robbed in their homes. But more than any other league's, the culture of the NFL—the wealth, fame, brutality and air of invincibility—makes its players vulnerable. Broncos security chief Dave Abrams, who was hired full-time shortly after Williams was shot, says the hardest part of his job is convincing players of their own mortality. To excel at such a violent sport, he explains, they must be fearless; they think of themselves as the kind of untouchable warrior who would never require the protection of a bodyguard, an alarm system or even a locked door. The night he was murdered, Sean Taylor had neglected to turn on his home security system, even though his house had been burglarized just nine days earlier.

The NFL is attempting to flip this it-can't-happen-to-me mindset. The league provides a security consultant to each team, and most teams also have their own head of security. At his State of the League address before Super Bowl XLII, commissioner Roger Goodell said that players becoming targets was "a big issue." "We have to do everything we can to educate our players of the simple things they can do to protect themselves" Goodell said.

(Clinton Portis)

Right now, who is better to target than an athlete? Bankers are losing jobs. Real estate gurus are losing jobs. Wall Street is losing jobs. Lots of people getting humble, but an athlete's money is constant.

I know a lot of players who think, Oh, man they ain't gonna get me. I watch where I'm going. No one's sneaking up on me. I say to them, Anybody can be touched. If somebody wants to get to you, there ain't no limits. Sean was home with his family, and they got to him.

But even with what happened, I can't walk around in fear. Out of fear your reaction is going to be totally different. If I don't know you and you walk up on me too fast, do I shoot first and ask questions later? Because I'm living in fear? You could be running to tell me my car lights are on. It's tricky, though. When you put on that uniform, you have to be fearless—and it's hard to turn off. A banker in Sean's position would've probably just called the police that night. But as an athlete, Sean's reaction was embedded in him.

Ben Roethlisberger's public persona isn't limited to game days. The Steelers QB is a pitchman for Nike and a local car dealership—and his image adorns the bottle of his custom barbecue sauce. Which leaves Big Ben conflicted. Does his high profile give fans an invitation into his life? And if there's a line that shouldn't be crossed, where is it? With no easy answers, Roethlisberger, 26, is one of a growing number of players who uses bodyguards when going out. He says that, much like in a collapsing pocket, you sometimes can't tell what's coming until it's too late.

The one time I was scared the most, I didn't have anybody with me. I don't want to relive all the details, but this guy brandished a weapon in my face. I kept my cool and talked my way out of it. People showed up and helped get rid of the guy. That's when I decided to have someone with me all the time.

Early on, my teammates were like, "Who does that rookie think he is?" Now guys are like, "Man, that was one of the smartest things you've ever done." And some of those same guys have actually gotten security people themselves. Having a bodyguard doesn't make you weak. I'm sure 99% of the guys in the NFL could take care of themselves in a fight. The issue is protecting yourself and what you have: your name, health, money. You're trying to save your life.

I agree that Marv was not as bad as Jimmy Johnson, but you must admit he gave certain players a free pass. He gave way too many chances to woman abusers like Damien Covington and cocaine abusers like Bruce Smith. He also failed to reign in that cigarette, booze and stripper addict, Thurman Thomas. As you recall, when the team hired off duty Hamburg cops to folow Bruce Smith around to monitor his cocaine activities, he cried "racism" until they left him alone. Do you call that "character"?

When was the last time you were famous and made $5 million a year? Why should these guys imprison themselves in their homes?

BTW. I agree, Plex is stupid, but not for carrying a gun though. For shooting himself, yes.

The last time was just wednesday night. i was famous and that rich!! I went out--with all my bling on and rolling on dubs. nobody fronted me though --sarcarm- you make a good point, We don't have these personas and publice lifestyles.

It compels Jaguars running back Fred Taylor to use the car with the less showy factory rims when he goes out at night.

Well Stojan. Life just isn't fair. What a stupid point to make if the author is trying for our sympathy. It does beg the question, why go out and risk it if you're too worried to drive the car with the fancy rims?

In all honestly, though, they're right. These are very public people that have a lot of emotion riding on their shoulders. How many Buffalonians would have punched Norwood right in the face after that gave if given the chance? You lose 5k on a bet because Big Ben fumbles a snap and you're ready to B word slap someone. Hiring security is the right way to go about it.