While you were sleeping

DIE HARD 1967

You guys know I don't post very much, but I do read nearly every thread on this board.

Washington is holding discussions on what to do with General Motors.

If they vote to help GM, or refuse, and drive the company to Bankruptcy, the outcome will have a major impact of jobs in WNY

Either way, GM will close over half of the assembly plants. (per CNN)

Today CNN reported the most effected cities should GM close plants, Buffalo NY was listed as #3.

Buffalo is listed as #1 loser in the percentage of jobs versus available alternative jobs

There is over 100,000 GM related jobs in Rochester and Buffalo in an area that has roughly 400,000 residents.

Many experts predict Ford will be next in line for assistance and that is another 50,000 auto industry related jobs in WNY.

Conrail posted a message on CNN that stated that without the auto industry, "We are out of business"

Buffalo's market is already one of the smallest in professional sports and the outcome could have a major impact on the area.

So, am I worried about WNY families and losing the Buffalo Bills?

You bet I am!

I just wanted to make you aware of what could happen while we wind down the season.

I believe Ralph is paying close attention to the outcome of these meetings in Washington.

Some of you are worried about winning the next 5 games, and I am worried about keeping the Bills in Buffalo.

Open this link if you are looking for answers

http://ionlybuyamerican.com/

LETS TRY TO FOCUS ON THE POSSIBLE LOSS OF THE BUFFALO BILLS, and get away from unfair labor costs,executive bonuses, what kind of car you drive and your hatred of unions.

The Buffalo area is losing population, and some Cities would just love to bring the Buffalo Bills to their State.

- Die Hard 1967

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You can always find another job. But, the Bills cannot be replaced.

Tell that to the out of work auto assembly personnel. Who gives a s* about the Bills when you have a family to feed. By the way my uncle is one of the assembly men. Has been there for 12 years now. has a wife and 2 kids to feed and the last thing he worries about is the Buffalo Bills.

maybe if people stopped believing all the blind hype that the imports are better than the domestics and started buying our own products they wouldn't be in as much trouble as they are. Toyota = crap.

Although I have a Chrysler, I always question why can't American manufacturers give the same 10 year, 100k warranty like Hyundai does if they're just as reliable.

By the way, the company I work at makes engine gaskets, and we're a couple months away from probably closing. The company can't get any more credit and it's cash flow is almost gone.

maybe if people stopped believing all the blind hype that the imports are better than the domestics and started buying our own products they wouldn't be in as much trouble as they are. Toyota = crap.

When I bought a Honda, all the workers in the dealership were Americans. Would you like them to be out of jobs also?

Thats hardly the problem. $47/hr for Toyota workers vs $95/hr for GM union workers. Break the union contracts through bankruptcy & GM is back on track to get out of the hole that they've dug for themselves.

Although I have a Chrysler, I always question why can't American manufacturers give the same 10 year, 100k warranty like Hyundai does if they're just as reliable.

That's the lubricated parts powertrain warranty only. It is NOT "Bumper-to Bumper".

And to keep it valid and "claim-able", plan on spending 4K+ with iron-clad documentation that the service through the years was performed by competent repair facilities.

Investigate Hyundai service check-up costs. 30K is about 400 bucks. You will pay more than that at 60K as you are scheduled for a timing belt/water pump change per the service manual requirements.

While the statistics clearly show that american assembled autos have caught up with imports the fact of the matter is that the seeds for this problem were planted 40 years ago when the management and employees of the big three did not give a crap about the quality of their autos. They dug themselves in a hole and have been trying to get out of it ever since. WNY has paid dearly for this.

If WNY hopes to remain or regain status as a thriving community / region, then the economy has to be diversified and jobs need to be developed from within. I do not blame only the heavy industry that remains or that has left the region. The govt bodies, the community and other institutions need to focus on tax structures that are oppressive, a way to make the winter a positive rather than a negative (at least stress the beauty of the region at other times of the year), and, yes shed itself of that long held image of a "blue collar town." Fact of the matter is that high paying jobs that will stick are not blue collar. They are in the sciences, engineering, finance, high tech, healthcare and entreprenurialism. What underpins all of these is a sound education system and a workforce that is creative and thinks.

I and my wife would love to return to to WNY and root for the Bills but the economy and taxes suck.

Thats hardly the problem. $47/hr for Toyota workers vs $95/hr for GM union workers. Break the union contracts through bankruptcy & GM is back on track to get out of the hole that they've dug for themselves.

wages amount to about 900-1200 dollars on the price of a new vehicle. get your facts straight, stop believing all the propaganda. btw the union just made huge concessions and they are almost on par with the imports. besides that shouldn't matter to you, what should matter is that you are buying a good quality vehicle built by an American company.

the countries that export these vehicles here don't even allow us to sell our automobiles there, sounds fair eh?

wages amount to about 900-1200 dollars on the price of a new vehicle. get your facts straight, stop believing all the propaganda. btw the union just made huge concessions and they are almost on par with the imports. besides that shouldn't matter to you, what should matter is that you are buying a good quality vehicle built by an American company.

the countries that export these vehicles here don't even allow us to sell our automobiles there, sounds fair eh?

Kia, a low quality car sold over 365,000 vehicles in the US last year and the media calls it the WALMART syndrum.

Buy garbage, then throw it away in a few years

besides that shouldn't matter to you, what should matter is that you are buying a good quality vehicle built by an American company.

That's the problem -- they can't afford to build comparable quality vehicles at comparable prices without going bankrupt because they have inflated costs thanks to a poor organizational structure and excessive labor costs. Something has to give in that equation.

Wages are $1200 per vehicle? How much is overtime? pension? free healthcare for life? etc. etc.