While you were sleeping

DIE HARD 1967

Finding work in FL has always been tough. I have family that live in the Bradenton/Sarasota area and I remember going for a visit years back and I would see people on the streets holding signs reading "work for food", that's bad. The last time I was there about 3 years ago the area was in the mitts of a housing boom developers were stripping farm land and building 500 - 1000 homes at a time and no one had a hard time finding work. I'm sure it is back to what it uses to be.

But let me make one point. Everything is relative, FL has a large retirement population and that population lives on a fixed income and they spend their money wisely. They are a service oriented society. Lets face it retirees are not manning the assembly lines at any manufacturing plant (thank god. I've seen them drive in FL) they are consuming good that enrich their lives. Service jobs require less experience and there for less pay. Anyone can take an order or ring a register. That's why your average hourly wage is so low. Also it does not cost as much to live in FL as it does in other parts of the country. Do you notice how you can go out for dinner at 4 PM and get a steak meal for $6.00 but if you go after 4 PM you will pay full price $11 - $12 for a steak meal. Do you think that steak cost the own of that restaurant less at 4 PM than 6 PM. No he needs to keep customers coming in all day so he adjusts his price to entice people to come in for dinner at those off hours. And yet I see plenty of restaurants and drug stores and grocery stores in FL. How can they all stay in business? They adapt and offer their customers the things they need at a price they can live with.

P.S. Sorry about the economic rambling, but when I hear people talk about bail out and protectionism I feel they just do not want to work or do what it takes to make a living. I have a great deal of respect for my elders they know what it means to really work for a living and I'm sure if our generation had the same work ethics that our parents or grand parents did we would not be talking about bail outs or stimulus programs but how well our Buffalo Bills are doing or not doing.

I live between Ft Myers and Sarasota, no jobs here.

Thanks for the response

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When it comes to 100K people losing their jobs the Buffalo Bills are the last thing on my mind. I look at the families the children, it is a rough world out there, life will knock you to your knees if you let it.......

I went through it with IBM, they F'd me over in a matter of 1 day! I'm thankful now that im in the health business as a direct care aide for the State.

But in all seriousness lets all keep those people in our thoughts and prayers.

I lived in Tampa, but you guys need to learn to drive.

Note: Red lights mean STOP

Tail gating is dangerous

Turn signal are in your car for a reason.

Cell phones , MP3 players and text messages tend to distract while driving

The 275 is not Nascar....its just looks like it!

You might have a job, but you won't be alive very long (lol)

Isn't that all of Florida? :thumbdown:

When it comes to 100K people losing their jobs the Buffalo Bills are the last thing on my mind. I look at the families the children, it is a rough world out there, life will knock you to your knees if you let it.......

I went through it with IBM, they F'd me over in a matter of 1 day! I'm thankful now that im in the health business as a direct care aide for the State.

But in all seriousness lets all keep those people in our thoughts and prayers.

$100.000 jobs?

Who is that?

You would need to work 7 days a week 12 hours to make that.

The most I ever made was $71,000 and they killed me that year!

No time off at all!

maybe if people stopped believing all the blind hype that the imports are better than the domestics and started buying our own products they wouldn't be in as much trouble as they are. Toyota = crap.

You do realize that the majority of Toyota vehicles are manufactured in the United States, right?

You do realize that the majority of Toyota vehicles are manufactured in the United States, right?

you do realize that you're wrong don't you?

toyota only has 5 plants in the U.S. the majority of toyota vehicles are NOT made in the U.S.

toyota has the best spin doctors around, paying off magazines, lobbying in washington and brain washing the public. they are subsidized by the Japanese government which pays for most of their r&d. get a clue genius.

you do realize that you're wrong don't you?

toyota only has 5 plants in the U.S. the majority of toyota vehicles are NOT made in the U.S.

toyota has the best spin doctors around, paying off magazines, lobbying in washington and brain washing the public. they are subsidized by the Japanese government which pays for most of their r&d. get a clue genius.

The statement would have been correct if it was said that the majority of Toyota cars sold in the US are assmebled in the U.S. with a mix of domestic and foreign parts.

One, it's not $95 per hour for a GM worker. It's not even the $72 that's been reported, It's closer to $55.

Two, how is it the worker's fault that the auto companies are in trouble? Negotiated contract and the workers just build what the genius executives tell them to build. Who wouldn't take a job at GM, Ford or Chrysler that pays $20 per hour plus benefits? Even if it's not in the auto industry, if you make less than that you would take a job making that if it were offered.

Three, less than 2,000 people actually still work at GM in Tonawanda or at Ford. All the other jobs are at parts suppliers and local businesses near the plants. Still, GM and Ford closing here would have a huge economic impact in this area. It would be much worse than it already is and the domino effect would be major including a very real possibility (as it is now) of the Bills leaving Buffalo. In Detroit it would be 10x worse. They would probably lose their pro teams (Red Wings, Tigers and Pistons) and the Lions as well.

Four, GM has 95,000 hourly workers left in the US. They have 475,000 retirees. That should be the other way around. Make the money here, spend it here, economic problem solved. Honestly, nobody expected people to work 25 years, retire in their late 40's and early 50's and live another 30+ years collecting a pension & benefits. Mistakes or lack of foresight 20, 30, 40 years ago are killing them now.

Five, it doesn't make a difference if some of your Toyota or Honda or Subaru or Nissan is assembled in the US. Every last dime of profit goes back to Japan. Admittedly, not 100% of GM or Ford or Chrysler cars are made in the USA and hell, they don't even make a profit on any cars they sell right now but if/when they do, that money stays in the US and is put back into the economy.

Either way, GM will close over half of the assembly plants. (per CNN)

Today CNN reported the most effected cities should GM close plants, Buffalo NY was listed as #3.

- Die Hard 1967

How is CNN so sure that Buffala/Rochester will be the most effected. When GM announced plant closings back in teh 80's, Buffalo fared OK, largely (I believe) because the Engine Plant was one of the more efficient. If that plant still has a reputation for quality and productivity, it has a strong chance to survive. I had a colleague in Cinci tell me how, at that time, GM couldn't wait to close teh Norwood, OH plant because of low productivity and numerous worker issues. The plants that produce quality parts on time should survive.

Here's another issue, is WNY going to do anything to attract foreign automakers to teh area. The foreign makers are here to stay and if Buffalo gets their plants, there's a place for displaced autoworkers other than down south. It's a tough anecdote but its the real world.

The other problem is Albany and teh NTS Legislature. NY is so business unfirendly that it takes a deal with the Legislature for any plant to be brought to NYS. Unless teh Senate Majority leader is in your region, you're screwed. Albany-Saratoga got loads of business development because its in or near the district of now former SML Joe Bruno. The SML is now from Long Island, and guess where the business development bucks will go now (despite what they say to the press).

Im sorry but unions killed this country. You can have a slug who does just enough to keep his job while you have someone busting their ass and getting paid $10 less an hour than that guy..? Something doesn't make sense here and that's what happened to the blue collar jobs in this country. The wages got way too high and companies have no other option than to send the work overseas. So if you want to get a good paying job, I would recommend going to college and getting a degree because that's the only way young people in America can take care of themselves (let alone, their kids).

This is coming from a former union worker.

I didn't read this thread, but are we all aware that Hyundai, Honda, Toyota, etc are in fact all American companies also. In that they have factories here.

Also, "The Big Three" all have plenty of factories in other countries.

Exactly... GM is in on Toyota... Isn't Ford in on with Nissan (early on the Windstar and Quest were sister vehicles), Mazda, and Volvo... Many years after Mitsubishi bombed Pearl Harbor with the "Japanese Zero" they struck deals with Chrysler. The list goes on. Doesn't GM/Buick own a certain % of Isuzu?

My point? The are all intertwined.