Preston as the long-term backup Center?

Preston and Fowler are both UFA's this year. We might benefit most from letting the elder Fowler walk, re-signing Preston (provided he comes cheap), and drafting a Center in the 1st or 2nd rounds of the draft with the intention of starting the rook from day one. I used to think Preston was the worst lineman I'd ever seen, but the general consensus seems to be that he's clearly better than Fowler, and we have been running well the last couple of weeks.

He definitely shouldn't start, but I imagine the standard for backup Center is pretty low around the league. Teams have enough trouble finding one decent one, let alone two.

I wouldn't mind bringing him back until our 1st or 2nd round rookie center is ready to make the line calls. :) On a side note, Jake Grove, a center many here were fairly high on a few years back, is set to become a free agent. From what I've heard he's kind of been a disapointment but another name to throw around for "the guy to keep the seat warm for the rookie". :lol: With the tough nose tackles in our division (now we know how other teams felt having to face Ted Washington twice a year), I hope the Bills put a high priority on upgrading the center position this offseason.

Preston is a UFA after this season, yet this was the first time in my memory that he looked anything more than completely awful. Coincidence? Hard to say, but he isn't good by any stretch of the imagination, and it doesn't really matter if they keep him or not. My feeling is how much worse would another vet, or a rookie be?

Fowler is another story. He has been one of our highest paid players and he has cost this team many a win. He ranks high on the list of the biggest wastes of Ralph's money of all time. This distinguished list includes John Fina in his last 3 or so years, Mike Williams and Jerry Ostroski. Notice where they all played? :)

Personally, I wouldn't blame Ralph if he cuts Fowler this afternoon.

Preston is a UFA after this season, yet this was the first time in my memory that he looked anything more than completely awful. Coincidence? Hard to say, but he isn't good by any stretch of the imagination, and it doesn't really matter if they keep him or not. My feeling is how much worse would another vet, or a rookie be?

Fowler is another story. He has been one of our highest paid players and he has cost this team many a win. He ranks high on the list of the biggest wastes of Ralph's money of all time. This distinguished list includes John Fina in his last 3 or so years, Mike Williams and Jerry Ostroski. Notice where they all played? :)

Panos?

Panos?

Bingo! My memory fails me beerman. Panos was a LG, no? That would give us a complete OL of starting overpaid disasters. I give you:

LT: Fina

LG: Panos

OC: Fowler

RG: Ostroski

RT: Mike Williams

Sure....there are admittedly way more problems, but the above goes a long distance to explain our playoff draught.

Whatever. I love being a part of this strange thing we have. I still get mad, but not as much as years past. :thumbsup:

Fowler is another story. He has been one of our highest paid players and he has cost this team many a win. He ranks high on the list of the biggest wastes of Ralph's money of all time. This distinguished list includes John Fina in his last 3 or so years, Mike Williams and Jerry Ostroski. Notice where they all played? :thumbsup:

While i agree that Fowler needs to be replaced (and i am fine keeping preston on as a backup over just signing another vet), he onyl signed a 3 year 7 million dollar (total) deal. Thats hardly "one of our highest paid players."

<snip>

What's with the Dick Measurement system anyway? Why does Dick get a free pass for his first 5+ years as an NFL head coach while most of the other coaches get their feet held to the fire? (I notice Holmgren "starts" his coaching in Seattle. :thumbsup: ) You realize some of those examples are rookie head coaches that were piloting expansion teams, right?

The ironic thing about it is that Dick Jauron was 20-23 in his first 43 games in Chicago. So, nothing is changed. Indeed, unless he goes 4-1 down the stretch year, his record for his first 3 years in Buffalo will be worse than his own record with the talentless Bears teams for his real first 3 years as an NFL coach.

Here is a ranking by lifetime winning percentages. It's upside down so Jauron looks like he's #1. <_<

Jauron .438

Vermeil .524

Johnson .556

Billick .556

Fisher .556

Coughlin .557

Parcells .570

Holmgren .596

Landry .603

Walsh .609

Schottenheimer .613

Cowher .623

Tomlin .667

Oh and Edwards .431 and Turner .437.

What's with the Dick Measurement system anyway? Why does Dick get a free pass for his first 5+ years as an NFL head coach while most of the other coaches get their feet held to the fire? (I notice Holmgren "starts" his coaching in Seattle. :thumbsup: ) You realize some of those examples are rookie head coaches that were piloting expansion teams, right?

The ironic thing about it is that Dick Jauron was 20-23 in his first 43 games in Chicago. So, nothing is changed. Indeed, unless he goes 4-1 down the stretch year, his record for his first 3 years in Buffalo will be worse than his own record with the talentless Bears teams for his real first 3 years as an NFL coach.

Here is a ranking by lifetime winning percentages. It's upside down so Jauron looks like he's #1. <_<

Jauron .438

Vermeil .524

Johnson .556

Fisher .556

Coughlin .557

Parcells .570

Holmgren .596

Landry .603

Walsh .609

Schottenheimer .613

Tomlin .667

wha? whe? who? whi? why?

He definitely shouldn't start, but I imagine the standard for backup Center is pretty low around the league. Teams have enough trouble finding one decent one, let alone two.

I like your Dick-O-Meter, it offers some valid reasons why the Bills might want to give him those extra three years. I really don't think he's as good as most of those other coaches, but who knows, right?

But I disagree with your thinking on Preston. The young vet has only just begun starting some games this season, and he's doing fine. It makes me think the Bills should have used him more last year to replace the weakling Fowler. If the Bills go first to third round on OL, they have bigger needs at G & OT then C, in my opinion. Dockery could be the worst 7 million a year any team has spent in NFL history, and Walker, while well spoken, is more fat then strong and his 5 million a year is also extremely over priced. And Brad Butler? Nice 6th rounder who unfortunatly seems injury prone. Plenty of need there to use a first day pick before center, with Preston improving.

I will be very interested to see how Preston performs against those great NTs in the division the second time around. If he fails again, then I feel we will have no choice but to look elsewhere in the off-season. After all, we need to build this team to win in the division, right? Remember, years ago when Parcells was coaching the Jets he went out and got Mauwai for the sole purpose of combating our very own Ted Washington?

Bingo! My memory fails me beerman. Panos was a LG, no? That would give us a complete OL of starting overpaid disasters. I give you:

Sure....there are admittedly way more problems, but the above goes a long distance to explain our playoff draught.

Whatever. I love being a part of this strange thing we have. I still get mad, but not as much as years past. :thumbsup:

Don't forget about Bennie Anderson! <_<

I believe theres 4 or maybe 5 centers in this next draft that could really help the Bills: Alex Mack, Jonathan Luigs, Antoine Caldwell, Eric Wood and maybe Max Unger....I'd have no problem with keeping Preston on to back any of thos guys up...

side notes:

anybody know how Bell is doing in his progression?...Buffalo better bring in a good veteran RG or draft another G and then kick Whittle to the curb...is Chambers good enough to keep arround?

Fowler is another story. He has been one of our highest paid players and he has cost this team many a win. He ranks high on the list of the biggest wastes of Ralph's money of all time. This distinguished list includes John Fina in his last 3 or so years, Mike Williams and Jerry Ostroski. Notice where they all played? :thumbsup:

I'd be more than excited to see a good Center drafted or at the least sign a proven FA. However, I would still like to see Preston stay. If you let Fowler go and I assume they would if they bring in a new guy and keep Preston, then you need someone on the team with experience calling the blocking schemes.

It really hasn't gotten much talk here, but it's interesting that we lost 4 games, and 5 out of 6, while several linemen were injured and the line was substituting down to down. Not to mention, we switched Centers. For all Fowler's getting bowled over, he was praised for his ability to call the blocking schemes. So, I ask is it a coincidence that the run and pass blocking tanked miserably as soon as he went out and Preston came in? It appears to be improving as Preston gets more experience, but (back to the original point) I think it'd be good to have someone with experience backing up a new guy if they bring someone in.

Come on how can you not start Jerry (The Condo) Croft on that line?