If Edwards looks much better with Reed back...

Big Turk

If Reed comes back and the Bills start looking like they did the first few weeks of the year, I am not sure what to make of it. I guess it would mean that Reed is much more important than any of us could have realized...he is Edwards security blanket, just like Linus carried his blanket everywhere and if he didn't have it, he would freak out. Edwards seems to be freaking out without his security blanket, but I guess what does that say about Edwards? That he cannot adapt to receivers with different skill sets, or maybe that he doesn't have the chemistry he has with Reed, who seems to be the target of many 3rd down passes, which he usually converts into first downs....

Either way, I have a feeling that Edwards is going to be much better with Reed back, and I am not sure if I think that is a good thing or a bad thing....I have really liked what Reed has brought to the field the past few years, but at the same time, Trent shouldn't be that freaked out without him...IMHO, Trent needs to figure out what other receivers are doing....

If Reed comes back and the Bills start looking like they did the first few weeks of the year, I am not sure what to make of it. I guess it would mean that Reed is much more important than any of us could have realized...he is Edwards security blanket, just like Linus carried his blanket everywhere and if he didn't have it, he would freak out. Edwards seems to be freaking out without his security blanket, but I guess what does that say about Edwards? That he cannot adapt to receivers with different skill sets, or maybe that he doesn't have the chemistry he has with Reed, who seems to be the target of many 3rd down passes, which he usually converts into first downs....

Either way, I have a feeling that Edwards is going to be much better with Reed back, and I am not sure if I think that is a good thing or a bad thing....I have really liked what Reed has brought to the field the past few years, but at the same time, Trent shouldn't be that freaked out without him...IMHO, Trent needs to figure out what other receivers are doing....

Before the bye week, Edwards had no problem checking down receivers, so he has figured out what other receivers are doing. He may be checking down AND FINDING NO ONE. This wasn't uncommon with JP, Bledsoe, RJ and Flutie, either. It's been a long time since having Reed (Andre), Lofton, Beebe, metzelaars.

Second, do you think trent Edwards has fully recovered from his concussion? I don't think so.

You see, to have a wet blanket complex yourself.

that is something that will likely happen. If edwards gets nervous about a throw, he will just throw to reed rather than throw a bad boy he isn't sure of. the turnovers need to stop. if that does happen, then that would make the rest of the season seem..... hopeful

4 things can help him this week.

1. Reed

2. He learned from Monday

3. The coaches learned from Monday (this seems the least likely of the 4 given their stubborness)

4. The Chiefs defense is bad (biggest difference from last week)

Second, do you think trent Edwards has fully recovered from his concussion? I don't think so.
People keep repeating this, but there's no rational or medical supporting reason. Trent looked just fine in the San Diego game. Why would his concussion symptoms have somehow reappeared after that? Put simplistically, a concussion is a brain bruise. Once the bruise heals, the symptoms go away. Have you ever had a bruise that completely healed, and then suddenly reappeared all by itself?

4. The Chiefs defense is bad (biggest difference from last week)

the chefs have 21 takeaways so far this year... not too shabby. however, their defense does give up points while almost never sacking the QB (6 to date).

This is the chain of events as I see them..

1) Reed goes down

2) Hardy and Parrish do not bring the same football smarts/ route running ability/ and blocking skills that Reed does

3) Because of #2, Trent doesn't trust these guys to be in the right place and delays his throw instead of timing the throw to where the receiver "should" end up

4) Evans does not run slants or do much between the hashmarks

5) Our TE's are subpar, and although Royal is a good athlete, his propensity for bonehead plays leads to a lack of trust as well

6) With no receiver to exploit the soft zone, teams play Evans over/under to limit the big play and bring more run blitzes along with jamming Roscoe or Fred Jackson when used in formation

7) Since Reed is gone, the outside runs and misdirection that worked so well the first few games do not work as assignments are missed and blocking from WR subpar

8) Because of #6 and #7 the O-Line is under pressure sooner at times leading to more hits and pressure on Edwards

9) After failing to exploit the soft zone, and needing to change on the fly, the coaching staff has run into problems with few available options as they attempt to run a similar offense as early on, but without the cohesiveness to do so...teams also have months of film on the Bills and can play the same script

10) The coaching staff becomes enamored with constantly changing packages in an attempt to lose predictability, although it leads to longer lag time in getting the huddle broken, wasted timeouts and penalties, and lack of execution due to confusion on roles and hurried nature of many pre-snaps

11) Trent Edwards loses faith in the passing game but is a good soldier and listens to the coaching staff and plays within the system

12) Edwards starts to overthink at times and does not play off of his superior instincts due to #1-11

I really feel that Josh Reed will put all facets of the offense back into their comfort zones. Not only will Edwards feel more comfortable, but Turk Schonert can go back to calling games with confidence instead of trying to overthink the situation. With Reed back, defenses will have to pay more attention between the hashes and cannot give up their safety on Evans every play. By backing off the line, Freddy Jackson should turn into a real threat again as a receiver and the O-Line will seem to give Edwards more time to throw. Also look for the return of 5-15 yard hard-out routes as Reed and Evans will be trusted to run them, Edwards will once again throw them as his confidence returns in himself and his receivers, and much like a strong run game leads to success in play-action, these routes are what allow Evans to get set up for long balls.

With the offense back on track and scoring more points while eating up more clock, the banged up defense will have a better chance to make an impact. Even though Whitner, Schobel, Scott and possibly Greer will be gone the next few weeks, Marcus Stroud is not losing steam as the season goes on and will be the key to keeping the swarming defense competitive at worst.

I really feel the Bills will be 8-5 in three weeks. This team still works hard and has plenty of talent and intelligence. When the switch goes back on, they should feed on their own momentum. I don't think they are worldbeaters, but they have the ability to beat any team in the league when at full strength. Trent Edwards is the present and the future, and there is something to be said for his West-coast intensity versus Jim Kelly's eastern rust belt intensity. He knows what Reed means to this team and his psyche will not be harmed from the past few weeks.

Buf 23 KC 16

Buf 34 SF 20

Buf 27 Mia 17

Wow. When he was healthy we were struggling to put up points and destroying horrible teams. We had to make comebacks to win a few games.

Both Fred and Marshawn were struggling for yards.

I think it's rather comical to blame our probs on the WR corps.

TE and Reed are not to blame!

This is the chain of events as I see them..

1) Reed goes down

2) Hardy and Parrish do not bring the same football smarts/ route running ability/ and blocking skills that Reed does

3) Because of #2, Trent doesn't trust these guys to be in the right place and delays his throw instead of timing the throw to where the receiver "should" end up

4) Evans does not run slants or do much between the hashmarks

5) Our TE's are subpar, and although Royal is a good athlete, his propensity for bonehead plays leads to a lack of trust as well

6) With no receiver to exploit the soft zone, teams play Evans over/under to limit the big play and bring more run blitzes along with jamming Roscoe or Fred Jackson when used in formation

7) Since Reed is gone, the outside runs and misdirection that worked so well the first few games do not work as assignments are missed and blocking from WR subpar

8) Because of #6 and #7 the O-Line is under pressure sooner at times leading to more hits and pressure on Edwards

9) After failing to exploit the soft zone, and needing to change on the fly, the coaching staff has run into problems with few available options as they attempt to run a similar offense as early on, but without the cohesiveness to do so...teams also have months of film on the Bills and can play the same script

10) The coaching staff becomes enamored with constantly changing packages in an attempt to lose predictability, although it leads to longer lag time in getting the huddle broken, wasted timeouts and penalties, and lack of execution due to confusion on roles and hurried nature of many pre-snaps

11) Trent Edwards loses faith in the passing game but is a good soldier and listens to the coaching staff and plays within the system

12) Edwards starts to overthink at times and does not play off of his superior instincts due to #1-11

I really feel that Josh Reed will put all facets of the offense back into their comfort zones. Not only will Edwards feel more comfortable, but Turk Schonert can go back to calling games with confidence instead of trying to overthink the situation. With Reed back, defenses will have to pay more attention between the hashes and cannot give up their safety on Evans every play. By backing off the line, Freddy Jackson should turn into a real threat again as a receiver and the O-Line will seem to give Edwards more time to throw. Also look for the return of 5-15 yard hard-out routes as Reed and Evans will be trusted to run them, Edwards will once again throw them as his confidence returns in himself and his receivers, and much like a strong run game leads to success in play-action, these routes are what allow Evans to get set up for long balls.

With the offense back on track and scoring more points while eating up more clock, the banged up defense will have a better chance to make an impact. Even though Whitner, Schobel, Scott and possibly Greer will be gone the next few weeks, Marcus Stroud is not losing steam as the season goes on and will be the key to keeping the swarming defense competitive at worst.

I really feel the Bills will be 8-5 in three weeks. This team still works hard and has plenty of talent and intelligence. When the switch goes back on, they should feed on their own momentum. I don't think they are worldbeaters, but they have the ability to beat any team in the league when at full strength. Trent Edwards is the present and the future, and there is something to be said for his West-coast intensity versus Jim Kelly's eastern rust belt intensity. He knows what Reed means to this team and his psyche will not be harmed from the past few weeks.

Buf 23 KC 16

Buf 34 SF 20

Buf 27 Mia 17

Reed will help.

But the main factor in his swoon isn't Reed's absence, it is that defenses have learned how to game-plan Edwards. Until he beats those custom-made defenses, he won't do anything worth doing. This is part of the game that young QBs go through. Defenses figure them out. Then the QBs must adapt. Then defenses will figure different ways to stop them. And the QBs must adapt. Many never adapt well enough. We will just have to see if Trent will be able to do it.

I expect the Bills to beat most of the bad teams left on their schedule. We just aren't a bad team, we are mediocre.

And JARTHUR31, nice post. We weren't creaming teams early on, and they weren't good teams.

No, he won't be better with Reed. Final Answer.

YOU SAID IT BROTHER,REED IS A GREAT SECURITY BLANKET. YOU WILL SEE TRENT WILL BE MUCH BETTER ON THIS SUNDAY. THE REASON IS REED IS A MUCH BETTER RECIEVER THAN ANYONE ELSE BEHIND HIM.

It doesn't show much other than Trent fails to make adjustments when his offense is minus a player or two.

Trent missed countless open receivers on Monday night.

People keep repeating this, but there's no rational or medical supporting reason. Trent looked just fine in the San Diego game. Why would his concussion symptoms have somehow reappeared after that? Put simplistically, a concussion is a brain bruise. Once the bruise heals, the symptoms go away. Have you ever had a bruise that completely healed, and then suddenly reappeared all by itself?

I'm not going to add to the conjecture about Edwards' concussion but to charactarize that type of injury as a "brain bruise" and then go on to compare that kind of bruise with any other is just too much of a stretch.

Lets assume for a second that it simply IS a bruise and that it heals like any other kind of bruise. Is there any other part of the body, say an arm or leg that, if it gets a bruise, your neurological functions would be impaired? Where synapses and electro/chemical reactions vital to life may be altered, however briefly or severely?

Lots of weird things can happen when your brain smashes against the inside of your skull and back. Simplistically, THAT'S what a concussion is.

GO BILLS!!!

I'm not going to add to the conjecture about Edwards' concussion but to charactarize that type of injury as a "brain bruise" and then go on to compare that kind of bruise with any other is just too much of a stretch.

Lets assume for a second that it simply IS a bruise and that it heals like any other kind of bruise. Is there any other part of the body, say an arm or leg that, if it gets a bruise, your neurological functions would be impaired? Where synapses and electro/chemical reactions vital to life may be altered, however briefly or severely?

Lots of weird things can happen when your brain smashes against the inside of your skull and back. Simplistically, THAT'S what a concussion is.

GO BILLS!!!

You are right, it's his brain that is causing his problems right now. It just has nothing to do with a concussion.