Buy American? Made in the USA?

SDS

See: Marysville, OH.

How is it that AMERICAN workers are building what is considered the BEST car in terms of reliability and have been for some time?

Because

Hondas are well engineered

Honda recognizes its brand equity and is at pains to protect and nurture it

Honda invests in its employees' training

Honda invests in plant and equipment

Honda has a very stringent quality process

Honda empowers its people

Honda incents and rewards its employees for meeting quality standards

Honda instills pride of workmanship it its employees

Basically because

Honda knows how to build, and maintain, a culture of quality all focused on the customer.

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Basically, though a few models (mostly Fords) might be better, American cars are still perceived as crappy.

I always wondered why that holds true. I have owned both and find myself back with American vehicles... I have had crappy experience with Japanese vehicles... Usually something would break right out of warranty... And true, I suppose it was good business not to honor the warranty like the Japs do...

I truly have had better luck with American cars all the way around... Especially, my Chryslers... Usually later when they are out of warrranty, I can correct a problem myself.

I think there has to be a whole number of factors that might help the imports score and hurt the domestic score when being judged.

I always wondered why that holds true. I have owned both and find myself back with American vehicles... I have had crappy experience with Japanese vehicles... Usually something would break right out of warranty... And true, I suppose it was good business not to honor the warranty like the Japs do...

I truly have had better luck with American cars all the way around... Especially, my Chryslers... Usually later when they are out of warrranty, I can correct a problem myself.

I think there has to be a whole number of factors that might help the imports score and hurt the domestic score when being judged.

When I buy a car, for me, the following are most important:

(1) Reliability

(2) Interior comfort (I'm tall but I also like quiet)

(3) mileage

Things I don't care about: cornering, performance, towing capacity, or 0-60 time.

When I buy a car, for me, the following are most important:

(1) Reliability

(2) Interior comfort (I'm tall but I also like quiet)

(3) mileage

Things I don't care about: cornering, performance, towing capacity, or 0-60 time.

You can get that with any car can one gets by just taking it out of the dealer's stock and driving it 100,000 miles... Just check and change the oil. AND , yes... WE can thank the Japanese for this! Remember when the Japanese cars were more rust buckets than the domestic ones (hard to think of that)?

It is really who buys and drives the atutomobile that drives these opinions.

Yet... I would still take a higher end domestic car in the 150,000+ range over an import... Sure they say it is past the "service life"... IMO, they still very much easier to service than the what I think of as a "throw-away" import.

Again... Just my opinion.

Talk to me when your Fruit Loops begin to say:

Product of China

I wonder if most Americans will find it important?

BTW, I have no problem with the countries that get on-board with the way the US does business... I have no problem with the Honda's, Audis, and what not of the world.

Actually, they're called "Froot Loops".

Probably because it would be fraud to imply they have anything to do with fruit.

Probably because it would be fraud to imply they have anything to do with fruit.

:)

I had more a taste for Franken Berry when I was a child! I just found it again at Target... :lol:

And look what I uncovered at Wiki... Never knew this! :lol:

Franken Berry was very popular at that time, even though the initial batches of the cereal used a dye that didn't break down in the body, causing many children's feces to be bright pink, a symptom sometimes referred to as "Frankenberry Stool."

WTF? :lol::lol::sick:

I had more a taste for Franken Berry when I was a child! I just found it again at Target... :lol:

And look what I uncovered at Wiki... Never knew this! :lol:

Franken Berry was very popular at that time, even though the initial batches of the cereal used a dye that didn't break down in the body, causing many children's feces to be bright pink, a symptom sometimes referred to as "Frankenberry Stool."

WTF? :lol::lol::sick:

Yeah, I was shocked a few weeks ago to see a box of Frankenberry in the store. I had to ask my wife "Didn't they discontinue that crap?"

"Frankenberry stool" is just the kind of completely useless trivia that I don't need to know, don't even want cluttering my brain, and thus will now never ever forget, thank you very much.

But now that I am stuck knowing it forever...I hope Al Franken and Marion Barry team up on a 2012 presidential ticket, so I can get some use out of it. :D

Yeah, I was shocked a few weeks ago to see a box of Frankenberry in the store. I had to ask my wife "Didn't they discontinue that crap?"

"Frankenberry stool" is just the kind of completely useless trivia that I don't need to know, don't even want cluttering my brain, and thus will now never ever forget, thank you very much.

But now that I am stuck knowing it forever...I hope Al Franken and Marion Barry team up on a 2012 presidential ticket, so I can get some use out of it. :sick:

Most strawberry stuff I can't stand, but Frankenberry wasn't than bad as junky cereal goes!... Here they sell Strawberry Crush... :lol::lol: I would kill for a Cherry Crush like!

As many of them as there are around here, you'd think he'd know how to spell their name.

That was my cheap shot for the day. Enjoy! :lol:

If we want to keep jobs in America we need to push for minimum wages across the globe. The only reason jobs go overseas is because they can pay someone $2 a day. If they had a minimum wage of approx. $5 per hour it would become uneconomical for us to send jobs overseas. This would also give those people disposable income and in turn they could buy more things which would benefit the world economy and subsequently America. This will never happen though because American corporations wield too much power in foreign governments to ever let that happen.

You just defined the solution and the problem. The problem is low wages. Overseas and in the USA. American corporations are the problem keeping wages low by shipping jobs overseas and using illegal aliens in the states.

Ronald Reagan and Ralph Nader hated and hate the big companies.

You just defined the solution and the problem. The problem is low wages. Overseas and in the USA. American corporations are the problem keeping wages low by shipping jobs overseas and using illegal aliens in the states.

Ronald Reagan and Ralph Nader hated and hate the big companies.

You also have to look at the health care part of the workers... many workers outside of the U.S. have health care provided for them via federal government. That in itself takes a huge burden off of the backs of those companies.

You also have to look at the health care part of the workers... many workers outside of the U.S. have health care provided for them via federal government. That in itself takes a huge burden off of the backs of those companies.

Where do their governments get the money to pay for it? The health care fairy? They are either taxing companies or they are taxing people. Nothing is free in this world.

FYI - Japan offers a government plan, but their system is otherwise fairly similar to that of the US with employer-offered plans. The key difference: if you are a resident of Japam, you are required to be insured. (That was the difference between the Clinton and Obama approach.)

Don't bother - he's off in the corner arguing with himself. GM has reached the quality levels of Japanese cars, but Japanese cars don't have high quality levels... so says the guy who has never owned anything other than GM. :thumbsup:

To suggest that GM is comparable to Honda is simply laughable, but pStrawman is paddling extra hard to defend his UAW brothers in Detroit and their lavish benefits that are driving the company bankrupt. I realize that rental car fleets do not exactly typify the top of the line, but I've driven enough GM cars to know that I still would never consider buying one.

We're looking for a mommy mobile and thought the Honda CRV and Toyota RAV-4 were both excellent for the mid 20s price range. Also was impressed by the Highlander (vetoed by the wife as 'too guy like' and Sequoia (nice but unlikely we'll go all the way to the minivan stage). Plan to look at the Acura as well at a slightly higher price point. I'd consider the Lexus or BMW for price/quality reasons, but the repair costs are simply outrageous on the luxury brands.

Because

Hondas are well engineered

Honda recognizes its brand equity and is at pains to protect and nurture it

Honda invests in its employees' training

Honda invests in plant and equipment

Honda has a very stringent quality process

Honda empowers its people

Honda incents and rewards its employees for meeting quality standards

Honda instills pride of workmanship it its employees

Basically because

Honda knows how to build, and maintain, a culture of quality all focused on the customer.

I though Honda was non-union. Certainly none that would be possible without a union.

We're looking for a mommy mobile and thought the Honda CRV and Toyota RAV-4 were both excellent for the mid 20s price range. Also was impressed by the Highlander (vetoed by the wife as 'too guy like' and Sequoia (nice but unlikely we'll go all the way to the minivan stage). Plan to look at the Acura as well at a slightly higher price point. I'd consider the Lexus or BMW for price/quality reasons, but the repair costs are simply outrageous on the luxury brands.

I'm a fan of Toyota/Lexus just because their reliability is continuously off the chart. I'll get back to you about repairs when I need one.

BMW does not have a great reliability report card. In fact, they are known to need a lot of maintenance--but you get the sweet sporty ride that is much different from Lexus's comfort feel.

You can't go wrong with Honda or Toyota. I love them both.

I'm a fan of Toyota/Lexus just because their reliability is continuously off the chart. I'll get back to you about repairs when I need one.

BMW does not have a great reliability report card. In fact, they are known to need a lot of maintenance--but you get the sweet sporty ride that is much different from Lexus's comfort feel.

You can't go wrong with Honda or Toyota. I love them both.

I've got a three year lease on my BMW. All maintenance covered. As a matter of fact I had a guy come and tint my windows. He cut the rubber seal around two of the windows. I took it to the dealer to fix and told them to let me know if they could write a letter stating it looked like the window guy !@#$ed up. Obviously he did. I called to see if my car was ready and he said yes but the couldn't definitively determine whether or not with window tint guy did the damage. They picked up the cost under my warranty. THAT'S what you pay for.

I though Honda was non-union. Certainly none that would be possible without a union.

In a USA run company, it likely would not be possible. US companies show us, all the time, that left to their own devices, they will abuse workers, not operate in the public interest, etc. (That's not to say that there aren't exceptions.) So, some might argue that the only way to deal with Big Business and Big Gov't is Big Labor. While I don't necessarily agree, I understand their point.

One major problem in US companies is, they only care about the short term anymore, it seems. It's all about shareholders and shareholders want return NOW, or they want to put their money elsewhere. If nobody gives a s#it about the actual "business", then the business is likely to go to s#it.