Jeff Fisher Proves That Staying With A HC For A Long Time

Steely Dan

Maybe if Jauron showed some progress and the team was steadily improving, you could make a case for keeping him around. But the problems affecting this team today are the same problems we've been talking about for the past 8 years. O-line, D-line, no production from the offense. At some point the excuses need to stop and the results need to improve.

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Maybe if Jauron showed some progress and the team was steadily improving, you could make a case for keeping him around. But the problems affecting this team today are the same problems we've been talking about for the past 8 years. O-line, D-line, no production from the offense. At some point the excuses need to stop and the results need to improve.

In that sense, perhaps the only answer would be to hire a real GM and take away all of Jauron's power on draft day. This really isn't asking a whole lot.

In that sense, perhaps the only answer would be to hire a real GM and take away all of Jauron's power on draft day. This really isn't asking a whole lot.

Perhaps we could pay someone to alter the feed to dickie on draft day. We could show him a TV where the first 15-20 draft picks were all DBs, and try to convince him that there are no DBs left on the draft board when we're up, and they've all been drafted. Then make him make his pick.

Jeff Fisher is a good example of sticking with a HC. Fisher is in his 14th year as a HC of the Houston/Tennessee franchise.

Here's his record:

WE'RE NOT DOOMED!!

Continuity helps...brilliant! :blink:

Chuck Noll...Tom Landry...Bud Grant...Paul Brown...Vince Lombardi...John Madden...and so on.

That would be assuming that everything's fine and dandy with Dick's game planning and game day decisions. You're surely not suggesting that are you? It sucks to say it, but he's a failure and he's ours for another three freaking years. That's downright depressing. :blink:

If only it were just a GM thing. Like you said before, at least we still have a team to root for. Gotta dig down deep after three straight divisional losses.

That would be assuming that everything's fine and dandy with Dick's game planning and game day decisions. You're surely not suggesting that are you? It sucks to say it, but he's a failure and he's ours for another three freaking years. That's downright depressing. :blink:

If only it were just a GM thing. Like you said before, at least we still have a team to root for. Gotta dig down deep after three straight divisional losses.

You know me better than that. :blink::unsure:

I am thinking that there are some good players on this team. Add in a few strong linemen and a TE and this team is stacked. I am of the belief that Jauron isn't capable of doing what needs to be done in terms of building something that isn't the secondary. He lucked into his LT and QB. I give him credit for Stroud, but look at the flops along the way.

We are stuck with him for 3 years, but it really wouldn't be as bad if they could silence him in the war room. Jmo.

Sounds vaguely like what the Bears did. And, Buffalo was the beneficiary of that, because DJ is now our HC. Hiring a true GM with personnel responsibilities absolved DJ of having any role whatsoever in anything that went awry during his 5 year run on a treadmill to nowhere in Chicago.

Sounds vaguely like what the Bears did. And, Buffalo was the beneficiary of that, because DJ is now our HC. Hiring a true GM with personnel responsibilities absolved DJ of having any role whatsoever in anything that went awry during his 5 year run on a treadmill to nowhere in Chicago.

I don't doubt you, but at least we would be spared 3 more years of early first round safeties and corners, as well as a majority of the rest of our earliest picks.

Jeff Fisher is a good example of sticking with a HC. Fisher is in his 14th year as a HC of the Houston/Tennessee franchise.

Here's his record:

1995 7-9

1996 8-8

1997 8-8

Be careful about calling for someone's head too soon.

I know, I know Jauron sucked in Chicago but compare his first three years here with Fishers.

My point?

WE'RE NOT DOOMED!!

Ok so waht I did is this ignore his interim caoching first year counted 95,96 &97 Full 3 years (though this is not an even comparison since this is considered Jeff Fishers First 3 years of coaching and Jaruon is in his 6th full year of caoching but anyway I see the point is the same weak receievers and revoling QBS for comparison.

Fisher 16-10 Teams 500 or below Jauron 17-2 Teams 500 and below Winner Jauron

Fisher 7-15 Team above .500 Jauron 2-18 teams Above 500 winner to be deicded end of season but Fisher is Leading.

Fisher 3 seasons 23-25 Jauron 3 season 19-20 winner to be deciede end of season Fisher Leading.

The thing here is that Jeff Fisher to this point has beaten 5 more teams above .500 then Jauron he has an inclination on how to win against competitive teams in his first 3 years of coaching no mind you Jauron is in his 6th full season and still hasnt improved against winning teams he knows how to beat the mediocre and the subpar teams but cannot beat winners.

I rember the seasons with Fisher and he had a team that played hard and looked good just got bad breaks, and emotional leader that gets his team emotional. He IS a good coach.

Jauron has shown me nothing but a flat inconsistent team and hasnt even brought the defense up to par yet and that is his speacialty? Jauron needs to go he has shown nothing to me and fans who look at the whole picture he is not a good coach and we dont need another 3 years of his underperformance hoping for one season of 13-3 with a gauranteed playoff loss because he cant beat a winning team.

Ah, the old "I am only going to pick the statistics that help my case and ignore all others" argument. If you want an honest assessment of DJ compared to JF, you need to look at everything. Here are the first nine years of DJ and JF:

Dick Jauron Coaching Record:

1999: 6-10

2000: 5-11

2001: 13-3

2002: 4-12

2003: 7-9

2004: {none}

2005: 1-4

2006: 7-9

2007: 7-9

2008: 5-4

TOTAL: 55-71 (0.437)

1 Division Championship

0 Conference Championships

Now, Here is Fisher's record over the first 9 years of his career:

1994: 1-5

1995: 7-9

1996: 8-8

1997: 8-8

1998: 8-8

1999: 13-3

2000: 13-3

2001: 7-9

2002: 11-5

TOTAL: 76-58 (0.567)

2 Division Championships

1 Conference Championship

Now, the only thing wrong with this comparison is that I am including this year for DJ. I am also including the year that nobody wanted him as a HC. To make up for the year that nobody wanted DJ, I can remove the 2002 season from Fisher's totals to come up with a 65-53 record (0.551), a conference championship and a division title.

Otherwise, it is far more insightful than the OP's selective analysis, which is nothing more than comparing apples to watermelons.

Now here's Marv Levy's first 9 years.

KC

1978 4-12

1979 7-9

1980 8-8

1981 9-7

1982 3-6 Fired.

Total 31-42

(.425)

Buffalo Bills

(Jim Kelly, Bruce Smith, Darryl Talley, Fred Smerlas and Andre Reed already on the team)

1986 2-5 Mid season replacement.

1987 Strike year not counted for record.

1988 12-4

1989 9-7

1990 13-3

1991 13-3

Total 49-22

(.690)

Due to his two partial seasons equaling sixteen they count as one season.

Since Levy was fired in his fourth season we'll only count the first three years of both coaches. Fisher = (.421) Levy = (.395)

Just sayin.

KC

1978 4-12

1979 7-9

1980 8-8

1981 9-7

1982 3-6 Fired.

Total 31-42

(.425)

Buffalo Bills

(Jim Kelly, Bruce Smith, Darryl Talley, Fred Smerlas and Andre Reed already on the team)

1988 12-4

1989 9-7

1990 13-3

1991 13-3

Total 49-22

(.690)

Since Levy was fired in his fourth season we'll only count the first three years of both coaches. Fisher = (.421) Levy = (.395)

Just sayin.

Just sayin' what? Rich Kotite went 29-19 (.604) in his first three years. When is he being inducted into the HOF? Should I ask the Jets? You are proving nothing. You are tossing out a bunch of useless and meaningless stats and saying "See, I'm right."

KC

1978 4-12

1979 7-9

1980 8-8

1981 9-7

1982 3-6 Fired.

Total 31-42

(.425)

Buffalo Bills

1988 12-4

1989 9-7

1990 13-3

1991 13-3

Total 49-22

(.690)

Just sayin.

Comparing Levy with Fisher? HA! B-)

Why not use his time in Montreal too. His 5 seasons as head coach of the Montreal Alouettes in the mid 1970's compiling a 50-34-4 record and capturing two Grey Cup championships.

Just sayin' what? Rich Kotite went 29-19 (.604) in his first three years. When is he being inducted into the HOF? Should I ask the Jets? You are proving nothing. You are tossing out a bunch of useless and meaningless stats and saying "See, I'm right."

Didn't he get inducted the same year as Thurm? I dunno; we left the ceremony early.

*sigh*

Continuity is a great thing...if you're a winning franchise.

Why is it that this point is always overlooked? As you said, continuity is great if the guy is capable of doing the job, but keeping the same guy who clearly can't get the job done while expecting him to suddenly get better = insanity.

It amazes me that some of the same people who decided after a handful of games that JP wasn't the answer are willing to give Dick three, four more seasons to figure it all out.

Where have I said I'm right about anything. I'm merely pointing out that HC's that start out iffy aren't always bad HC's. I think people are calling for Jauron's head based on his performance so far and I'm pointing out that there are HC's that have gone on to great success after shaky starts. If I gave the impression that I'm guaranteeing that he will become a great HC then I didn't make my point clear but I believe I never said he'd be a great HC.

Comparing Levy with Fisher? HA! B-)

Why not use his time in Montreal too. His 5 seasons as head coach of the Montreal Alouettes in the mid 1970's compiling a 50-34-4 record and capturing two Grey Cup championships.

Yes, the CFL and NFL are the same? :lol::rolleyes: