The futility of Trent vs. JP...

Big Bills Fan

Trent Edwards is a better QB than JP plain and simple. He manages the game better, makes better decisions and has shown that he can bring the team back in tough situations. That being said, he has struggled as of late and no one is arguing that fact.

This is his first season as a true starter and he is still learning. Peyton, Elway, Aikman, Cutler, heck most every big name QB in the game has struggled in their first season or two. JP had plenty of chances and he didn't take advantage of them. JP's biggest challenge is his inability to overcome tough odds and make something happen. If you are a "gunslinger" and don't have the ability to lead your team in the toughest of times, you are the worst kind of gunslinger. That Cardinals game was proof of that...it just took me back to the frustration of his previous seasons. I understand he came in as a backup, but leaders are born out of adversity and he didn't show an ability to rise above his circumstances.

No doubt Trent has made some bad plays and had costly turnovers. But you get the sense at least with him that he is going to learn from those things and move forward. Three times this year already he has lead his team back from tough deficits. It's going to take time for him to be a truly complete QB. Without a consistently solid D and problems on both lines, those challenges are amplified. The fact of the matter is that we had chances in all three division games and had bad turnovers or defensive breakdowns. At least we were in those games. I'll take that any day over having to worry about JP stalling yet another drive.

This team has bigger issues than the QB play. Trent has the skills and mentality to rise above those issues and make this team better. That streak starts on Monday against the Browns.

-BBF

Trent Edwards is a better QB than JP plain and simple. He manages the game better, makes better decisions and has shown that he can bring the team back in tough situations. That being said, he has struggled as of late and no one is arguing that fact.

This is his first season as a true starter and he is still learning. Peyton, Elway, Aikman, Cutler, heck most every big name QB in the game has struggled in their first season or two. JP had plenty of chances and he didn't take advantage of them. JP's biggest challenge is his inability to overcome tough odds and make something happen. If you are a "gunslinger" and don't have the ability to lead your team in the toughest of times, you are the worst kind of gunslinger. That Cardinals game was proof of that...it just took me back to the frustration of his previous seasons. I understand he came in as a backup, but leaders are born out of adversity and he didn't show an ability to rise above his circumstances.

No doubt Trent has made some bad plays and had costly turnovers. But you get the sense at least with him that he is going to learn from those things and move forward. Three times this year already he has lead his team back from tough deficits. It's going to take time for him to be a truly complete QB. Without a consistently solid D and problems on both lines, those challenges are amplified. The fact of the matter is that we had chances in all three division games and had bad turnovers or defensive breakdowns. At least we were in those games. I'll take that any day over having to worry about JP stalling yet another drive.

This team has bigger issues than the QB play. Trent has the skills and mentality to rise above those issues and make this team better. That streak starts on Monday against the Browns.

-BBF

I agree with what you say except this absurd notion that JP is a 'gunslinger.' That is a complete myth. There's a huge difference between being able to throw a ball 60 yards in the air on a deep sideline route (he has trouble throwing deep to the middle areas) and being a gun slinger like say, Favre. Gunslingers stay calm and take crazy chances when things break down around them. They're NEVER timid. JP has had the 'deer in the headlights' look far too many times. He tends to play tight when things break down. Gunslingers NEVER play tight. For reasons you illuminate above, JP can never be considered a gunslinger.

But he's a downright fricken' Jesse James with a push broom.

GO BILLS!!!

since you're breaking out the fallacies, you forgot "makes the whole team better","makes long, time consuming drives" and "makes the defense better"

-BBF

So we lost to the Pats because of the crappy defense and we lost to the Cards because of JP?

-BBF

OMG! THIS IS LIKE THE FIRST TIME EVER ANYONE HAS CREATED A POST ON THIS SUBJECT! I am so glad with your second post, you've brought attention to this grossly under-debated issue!

JP played solid in the Cards games with his typical mental lapses of not throwing the ball away. Trent is highly probable a top 10 QB with a great mental game without a stomach to trust the WRs to make plays on tight throws. Trent can throw to players in full stride routinely, JP cannot unless it's just an out.

JP doesn't have much upside and watching him countless times it is obvious to teams and coaches. Trent is someone the coaches have to game-plan for. Frankly, the entire conversation is worthless without a running game. Trent is a Matt Hasselback type of player who can't win by himself and is a game manager and needs a running game to win. I would never mistake Trent for Warner, Brees or Manning. He has a different mindset.

The difference between Trent and JP can be summed up in the 3 come from behind wins that Trent has led so far this year. But the biggest illustration in my mind was that one throw last year against the Redskins to Josh Reed to get the Bills in range to win the game. There is no way that JP completes that pass.

JP didn't lose that game against the Cardinals this year on his own, but he didn't do anything to rise above his limitations either and that is the point. I think that it is time to put to rest the thought of JP doing something positive with the Bills. He's a loyal, hardworking guy but his time in Buffalo is pretty much done. Time will tell if Trent's the man but he certainly has more potential right now.

Trent has been arguably our worst player the last 3 weeks. Im sorry but that is the way ive been looking at it. he didnt have an o line at stanford he should be used to that. He is making bad decisions and bad throws even when he doesnt have pressure. His overthrow of lee evans on sunday comes to mind

I say we stick with him but he has to pick up his game or our 5-1 start will be just one collapse for the Bills franchise

The difference between Trent and JP can be summed up in the 3 come from behind wins that Trent has led so far this year. But the biggest illustration in my mind was that one throw last year against the Redskins to Josh Reed to get the Bills in range to win the game. There is no way that JP completes that pass.

JP didn't lose that game against the Cardinals this year on his own, but he didn't do anything to rise above his limitations either and that is the point. I think that it is time to put to rest the thought of JP doing something positive with the Bills. He's a loyal, hardworking guy but his time in Buffalo is pretty much done. Time will tell if Trent's the man but he certainly has more potential right now.

Yeah because JP never led the Bills to come from behind wins. IDIOT.

-BBF

I would take one of JP's stalled drives over Trents pick 6's any day. It will be interesting to watch the media as they speculate which team JP signs with this offseason. He will have a number of options...... wait & see.

Trent not only engineered the come from behind win against the Raiders, he brilliantly put the Bills in the position of being behind in the first place.

He would have done the same in the Rams game if stupid Jabari Greer didn't steal all the glory.

If Trent and P were smart they would both find another team and do much better than they are doing here. Dick Jauron is a dork , and the incident of throwing the red flag proved it to me.

We know JP is moving on, let's see if TE tries to sneek onto the moving truck. :rolleyes:

I thought JP played very well for a backup agaisnt Az. But he also showed no improvement and no reason to expect improvment. The Bills didn't lose because of JP, but he did show he's still the same JP

Don't you know the drill by now?

The Bills lost to the Cards because of JP and lost to the Pats*, Jets, and Felons because of everybody BUT JP, especially Trent's play.

Basee o nthe shortage of QB's i nthe NFL you may be right. But once he plays maybe 10 games or so, he likely will look the same. Masybe if he were to sign wit ha really great tema and is asked to do very little, he may look better.

I would take one of JP's stalled drives over Trents pick 6's any day. It will be interesting to watch the media as they speculate which team JP signs with this offseason. He will have a number of options...... wait & see.

Basee o nthe shortage of QB's i nthe NFL you may be right. But once he plays maybe 10 games or so, he likely will look the same. Masybe if he were to sign wit ha really great tema and is asked to do very little, he may look better.

One team that is short a QB is Buffalo. Maybe he will sign there. Oh, wait.

I could see him in Minnesota. Frerotte is better than JP or Trent by a lot, but getting older. Maybe we'll be lucky and the Vikes will go for the young guy, leaving Frerotte to us as our starter.

Minn probably would be a decent fit for him. Actually Ferotte wouldn't bea terrible #2 guy here either though he is getting a bit long in the tooth. But first off you need to give TE plenty of time to see if he is the real deal or not. while many people on this board think they know the answer to that, in reality no one on this board does know, because if they truely did, they'd be working for some NFL team as a coach. and it's real easy to say "I can see it, I know these things" as more often than not in hind sight, you'll be right as most QB's do fail. I wonder if Vegas takes bets on QB's being a sucess or failure. If they did, I'd bet every QB in the leauge will fail and I'm certain I'd come out ahead on al lthe bets combined.

One team that is short a QB is Buffalo. Maybe he will sign there. Oh, wait.

I could see him in Minnesota. Frerotte is better than JP or Trent by a lot, but getting older. Maybe we'll be lucky and the Vikes will go for the young guy, leaving Frerotte to us as our starter.

Trent has been arguably our worst player the last 3 weeks. Im sorry but that is the way ive been looking at it. he didnt have an o line at stanford he should be used to that. He is making bad decisions and bad throws even when he doesnt have pressure. His overthrow of lee evans on sunday comes to mind

I say we stick with him but he has to pick up his game or our 5-1 start will be just one collapse for the Bills franchise

While I may not go as far as to say he's been our worst player, I will say that his "funk" has been the most detrimental to the Bills of all of the under-performers on a single player basis.

However, let us not forget that our pass rush is an absolute joke. Pitiful is too kind a word for it. Teams that can pressure the QB are teams that create turnovers. God, every year we simply get worse and worse. While I like Denney as a backup role and rotational player, he's no starter. Kelsay on the other end, is the biggest absolute waste of a defensive end that I've seen in many a year. Denney at least makes a few plays here and there. Kelsay is darned near invisible.

Fewell needs to come up with some package that can pressure the opposition's QB, and do it now, or the season is already over. Cassell looked like Tom Brady with our rush. Warner was God like, and Pennington? Zeus...