Losman should be our starting QB

1billsfan

I think you're half right. I don't think Trent's done yet. Somewhere in that brain of his is the smart QB that made good decisions and protected the football. He's lost his way the last few games and I keep hope that'll find it again.

I can't see his psyche recovering from the concussion and then all the turnovers. The Browns' defense is horrid and he was playing at home. It's not going to get much easier than that!

That being said, maybe Losman plays a couple games to give Trent some time to work through his problems.

Why bother playing Losman now? The season is over. Injuries are mounting. Losman's gone at the end of the season. It's either stick with Trent or go with Hamdan.

• Replies 384
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not going to go through a comment-by-comment response, this time, as I am a little pressed for time today...and quite frankly I don't think that it is necessary. While we aren't in total agreement, I understand your points, and even the ones I don't agree with, I can mostly respect. In truth, we aren't really all that far apart on most of the issues.

I will say that, IMO, a QB has to have a a reasonable arm to play in Buffalo, and in this division. Even Edwards, who certainly doesn't have a weak arm, seems to be struggling, a bit. I was concerned that Rivers would be chewed up by the Buffalo weather. After watching him, he still isn't my first choice, but he could probably handle it as well as Edwards has.

Also, we will agree about the running game being important, but that is a chicken-egg argument. Is the running game stifled because the team has no deep threat, allowing the defense to crowd the LOS? There are other considerations, of course. Is the O Line simply bad? I'm no OL expert, but I tend to think there is more talent on that line than what it looks like on gameday. Is is the scheme? Honestly, I don't know. I know how I would go about trying to fix the ground game, though.

Oh, and yes, Reed is a very big loss to this offense, on several levels. The running game is definitely hurt by his absence.

So, I will now remove you from my "moron" list, for conversing like a member of the community. If I was complicit in the past friction (and I tend to think it usually takes two for that sort of thing) I apologize.

I strongly respect what you've done in the above post. I accept your apology, and in return I apologize for my own past imperfections.

To move onto the football-related portion of your post. In past games, I'd noticed defenses dropping a lot of guys into coverage, because they didn't respect the running threat. But as someone noted after having watched a previous game (I don't remember which one) the Bills never ran the ball out of the shotgun formation, and only twice all game threw the ball when Trent was under center. Maybe defenses have formed the habit of dropping a lot of guys back into pass coverage on shotgun plays, and stacking the box whenever they saw Trent under center. The solution to this problem is fairly obvious.

I've also heard that the offensive line runs a Denver-like scheme, but with bigger, slower offensive linemen than Denver has. It's simply a case of a square peg in a round hole. (Or maybe, in this case, some very round pegs in square holes.)

Last night's performance was different from what I'd been used to seeing. The offensive line and the running game performed significantly better than expected. Unfortunately, Edwards had a very disappointing performance. And the main factor in that poor performance was him, not unfavorable circumstances.

I strongly believe that Edwards is a much better player than what he showed last night. Maybe his confidence is down. Maybe he's just going through a slump. But whatever it is, he's just not on his game right now.

I honestly don't think the problem is his arm strength. He'd benefit from a stronger arm, as would just about any other NFL quarterback. But he's strong enough to hit Evans on the long bomb, and to throw lasers over the middle. (The pass to set up the 47 yard FG attempt comes to mind.) His arm strength didn't cause the interceptions. And his arm strength wasn't the reason why he kept dumping the ball off to Lynch. To be honest, it felt like he was playing scared.

Edwards would clearly benefit from improved circumstances (the return of Josh Reed, better play-calling, etc.). But the main reason for his poor performance against Cleveland was him, not his circumstances. He needs to put his problems behind him, and play with the same confidence he'd had earlier in the year.

Jeeeeeeeeeeeeez was I right. :thumbdown:

When I started this post last week it was to try to put the possibility of Losman starting on the table because we needed to try something to save this season. I can tell you now that I didn't even believe 100% in what I wrote. I felt that Trent, like his head coach, needed a swift kick in the pants and a reminder that this job is not yours forever.

The sad thing is that if Jauron had started JP Losman (yes it was a pipe dream), the Bills would have blown out the Browns last night. They'd be 6-4 and the season would still have a pulse. I just can't believe that game. What did the Buffalo Bills ever do to the football gods to deserve this?

I can now say with 100% conviction that Losman should be starting next week. Trent is literally a quivering ball of fear in the pocket and Jauron has no business even thinking about starting Trent the rest of the season.

I strongly respect what you've done in the above post. I accept your apology, and in return I apologize for my own past imperfections.

To move onto the football-related portion of your post. In past games, I'd noticed defenses dropping a lot of guys into coverage, because they didn't respect the running threat. But as someone noted after having watched a previous game (I don't remember which one) the Bills never ran the ball out of the shotgun formation, and only twice all game threw the ball when Trent was under center. Maybe defenses have formed the habit of dropping a lot of guys back into pass coverage on shotgun plays, and stacking the box whenever they saw Trent under center. The solution to this problem is fairly obvious.

I've also heard that the offensive line runs a Denver-like scheme, but with bigger, slower offensive linemen than Denver has. It's simply a case of a square peg in a round hole. (Or maybe, in this case, some very round pegs in square holes.)

Last night's performance was different from what I'd been used to seeing. The offensive line and the running game performed significantly better than expected. Unfortunately, Edwards had a very disappointing performance. And the main factor in that poor performance was him, not unfavorable circumstances.

I strongly believe that Edwards is a much better player than what he showed last night. Maybe his confidence is down. Maybe he's just going through a slump. But whatever it is, he's just not on his game right now.

I honestly don't think the problem is his arm strength. He'd benefit from a stronger arm, as would just about any other NFL quarterback. But he's strong enough to hit Evans on the long bomb, and to throw lasers over the middle. (The pass to set up the 47 yard FG attempt comes to mind.) His arm strength didn't cause the interceptions. And his arm strength wasn't the reason why he kept dumping the ball off to Lynch. To be honest, it felt like he was playing scared.

Edwards would clearly benefit from improved circumstances (the return of Josh Reed, better play-calling, etc.). But the main reason for his poor performance against Cleveland was him, not his circumstances. He needs to put his problems behind him, and play with the same confidence he'd had earlier in the year.

I am firmly on record as stating that, in most games, the QB neither wins nor loses the game. (That doesn't mean QB play isn't important, just that there is far more to a football game's outcome than the play of the QB.) So, when people say that QB #1's record is 8-2, for example, it always rubs me the wrong way. I counter that QB's record is probably really 3-1, if you were counting the games where his play was the difference in getting the win or the loss.

Last night, Edwards deserves a L, if you want to assign outcomes to QBs (I still don't want to do that, BTW). And, I agree that it isn't a matter of arm strength. Right now, Trent isn't doing a good job of performing the things for which he is well known. And while I still don't think JP should be the starting QB, I am fairly confident that the Bills would have won, last night, with either JP or Hamdan behind center.

Losman wins games??? :thumbdown:

Face it, Edwards has sucked but still needs a season to see how much he fully sucks. Losman has had 3 seasons of sucking. He sucks, plain and simple, no matter how many excuses his fans have for him.

Say what you want about Losman, but he was never afraid to throw the ball downfield.

Edwards is no longer mentally equipped to start. The guy is a head case who's not worthy of throwing what's left of the season away on.

Face it, this is the NFL and if you are too scared to play you need to go and find a new profession.

Say what you want about Losman, but he was never afraid to throw the ball downfield.

Edwards is no longer mentally equipped to start. The guy is a head case who's not worthy of throwing what's left of the season away on.

Face it, this is the NFL and if you are too scared to play you need to go and find a new profession.

I agree Losman isn't afraid to throw downfield. Problem is, he's too dumb in the pocket to get the ball out in time.

The solution is simple. Combine Edwards and Losman. J. T. Loswards.

I can't remember ever seeing a QB start the season so strong and then completely fall apart the way TE has. The concussion must be having some effect. I think he needs to sit for awhile. Losman has shown he's not the long term answer but I think it would do TE some good to just sit and watch for a couple of games. Give him a little time to regroup,have some good practices and regain his confidence. I think for TE's long term success,the best thing is to sit him for now.

I am firmly on record as stating that, in most games, the QB neither wins nor loses the game. (That doesn't mean QB play isn't important, just that there is far more to a football game's outcome than the play of the QB.) So, when people say that QB #1's record is 8-2, for example, it always rubs me the wrong way. I counter that QB's record is probably really 3-1, if you were counting the games where his play was the difference in getting the win or the loss.

Last night, Edwards deserves a L, if you want to assign outcomes to QBs (I still don't want to do that, BTW). And, I agree that it isn't a matter of arm strength. Right now, Trent isn't doing a good job of performing the things for which he is well known. And while I still don't think JP should be the starting QB, I am fairly confident that the Bills would have won, last night, with either JP or Hamdan behind center.

I also dislike attempts to assign W/L records to QBs. By that logic, Trent Dilfer's time as the Ravens' starter was one of the finest quarterbacking performances in NFL history. Conversely, (at least by the messed-up record as a starter logic) John Elway was a mediocre QB for most of his career. A quarterback is just one piece of a puzzle, and the team's overall success depends on all the pieces of that puzzle.

That said, a reasonably competent performance from the quarterback position would have made the difference between a win and a loss. I hope that someone on the Bills' coaching staff is able to take him aside and help him regain the confidence he seems to have lost. It's painful to watch a guy play the way Trent played against the Browns when I've seen him perform at a much better level.

That was the one thing that shocked me about last night. I have seen plenty of QB's have really bad days but I am not sure I can ever recall seeing a QB lose their courage that badly. Scared rabbit. Never thought I'd see that from a Buffalo QB. I certainly never thought I'd see that from Trent. It has to be some sort of anomaly.

No doubt in my mind that JP would never have folded his tent like that.

I guess I can concede Trent one game like that, one. But if he ever does that again, he needs to be benched until he finds his balls. You can't be a QB in the NFL and play scared like that. How could the rest of the team believe in a QB like that?

He is young and he has shown plenty of talent so he gets a do-over here but man, I hope never to see anything like that again.

I also dislike attempts to assign W/L records to QBs. By that logic, Trent Dilfer's time as the Ravens' starter was one of the finest quarterbacking performances in NFL history. Conversely, (at least by the messed-up record as a starter logic) John Elway was a mediocre QB for most of his career. A quarterback is just one piece of a puzzle, and the team's overall success depends on all the pieces of that puzzle.

That said, a reasonably competent performance from the quarterback position would have made the difference between a win and a loss. I hope that someone on the Bills' coaching staff is able to take him aside and help him regain the confidence he seems to have lost. It's painful to watch a guy play the way Trent played against the Browns when I've seen him perform at a much better level.

We will have to agree to agree, on this one. :thumbsup:

Since when does losman win games?

Get this straight...as soon as the season is over the Bills will gladly give Losman the boot.

Is it not obvious to you by now that they do not want Losman on the field?

not after they put all their eggs in the edwards basket can they let JP onto the field- especially against KC where hopefully T.E. gets 'well'

they were so sure he was the answer they did everything they could to let 'jp play himself out of the job'- lose and you are done

now they have the bad jp parts- indecision, sacks, inaccuracy w/ none of the good parts - deep ball to get respect coverage and no fear of throwing downfield after a pick

they have to ride out edwards because they have no other choice

I came home from work today figuring I would see armegeddon on the board..Surprisingly what I have read aside from a few are pretty reasonable..We all saw what we saw Edwards was horrible Playcalling was good and bad, we still have some good young players that played pretty good..I liked our offensive line how they were a little more physical..I loved Duke Preston on the goaline how he blew through the middle so the QB could score..I liked how the 2 rookie cornerbacks were attempting to make plays although they fell short and either one of them couldve ended the game with a big play had they come through (COrners missed sack) (Mckelvins dropped INT). They played better than our coaching staff had insinuated they would play by how they have hidden them in the past few weeks.. Steveie Johnson aside from one bad drop has looked a lot like a receiver named Reed back in the day..Cant wait to see him on a few slant patterns..I like how the coaching staff has brought Johnson around alittle at a time..Its unfortunate Hardy hasnt followed suit..Butler played a very good game and gutted it through..With that said I am very disappointed the way Edwards has played lately..He has become tense nervous and inaccurate to say the least..The rest of the season will make or braek him I believe. If he can come out of this disaster and learn from it and figure out how to regain his confidence from this he will be able to overcome a whole lot in this league..To give up and throw him out would be an epic mistake..

My next point is coaching related...We saw the exact same defense for the past 4 weeks..All morphed from PArcells..Sporano, Mangini,Belichek, Crennel..If our coaching staff couldnt figure out the correct plays and formation to call by last nights game we are in for a rough 3 years...They all did the same thing and they all had better success against us the more games into this little collection of four games it went..Shonert shoulda changed up the formations and playcalling a lot more than he did last night..

Thats all I got.. :wallbash: