Can someone explain Marshawn's troubles?

apulshunny

I live in SD and do not get out enough to see many Bills games. From what I have seen the line has had troubles for years, but great backs have found a way to make SOME plays on bad teams. I've just not seen a burst from ML in his two years. I love his drive and his no-quit effort, but I do not really see any burst.

Am I missing something? I read another thread about him and read members who love the guy without any explanation. Just that they prefer him over Chris Johnson, Matt Forte and Darren McFadden. Based on what I've seen, I don't see what the attraction is.

Is there an articulate member who can offer some comparisons and what makes ML so valued?

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Marshawn is a solid, steady, but not spectacular RB

He doesn't have the "burst" and won't break many long runs. What he does have (and the coaches don't use properly) is the ability to move the chains.

He keeps his legs moving and moves the pile. 3 yards and a cloud of dust. But positive yardage is better than none

I live in SD and do not get out enough to see many Bills games. From what I have seen the line has had troubles for years, but great backs have found a way to make SOME plays on bad teams. I've just not seen a burst from ML in his two years. I love his drive and his no-quit effort, but I do not really see any burst.

Am I missing something? I read another thread about him and read members who love the guy without any explanation. Just that they prefer him over Chris Johnson, Matt Forte and Darren McFadden. Based on what I've seen, I don't see what the attraction is.

Is there an articulate member who can offer some comparisons and what makes ML so valued?

terrible o line

Unfortunately, it's simple answer why Marshawn has so many troubles.

#1. The offensive line does not give Lynch many opportunities. Run-offense is terrible.

#2. Buffalo has a very predictable run-game. A defense can stack the box and plug the small holes the offensive line creates. For this reason, Lynch constantly has runs between 1-4 yards about 95% of the time.

#3. Lynch is not a game-breaker. He dances too much. Part of the reason is that he is trying to survive with his poor line. The other part is that Lynch hasn't probably had his running style corrected because of his natural talent. He had a strong offensive line at Cal, and let's be honest...other than USC and occasionally Oregon, the PAC-10 isn't known for strong defenses. The PAC-10 produces great offenses, so Lynch probably isn't use to tough defenses. Lynch is a talented running back, but he isn't or won't be a top 20 running back of all-time.

Expect Lynch to play 8-10 seasons. He'll have two-four 1,000 yard seasons. The rest he'll have between 600-999 yards. Expect him to finish somewhere between 7,500-10,000 yards. Really good running back, but he won't be great. That's the difference between Lynch and Peterson. Peterson has game-breaker potential; Lynch doesn't. Peterson has a better 0-line as well.

Nightcrawler

O-line sucks AND, when given the option, he chooses to run out of bounds instead of lowering his shoulder. I have yet to see a running back break a tackle out of bounds. However, when coached properly, that can be fixed.

We sure see things differently. The last thing I would say about Lynch is that he chooses to avoid contact.

Expect Lynch to play 8-10 seasons. He'll have two-four 1,000 yard seasons. The rest he'll have between 600-999 yards. Expect him to finish somewhere between 7,500-10,000 yards. Really good running back, but he won't be great.

Very lofty expectations. Only 43 RB's in NFL history have hit the 7500 yard mark and I haven't seen anything close to enough from Lynch to believe that he can achieve that total.

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/lead..._yds_career.htm

We sure see things differently. The last thing I would say about Lynch is that he chooses to avoid contact.

I know it sounds weird. Between the tackles he's a beast, but when the play stretches outside he almost always goes for the sideline. I don't even blame Marchawn for this. If we were an organization with some leadership this would have only happened once. John Gruden once said that it is "highly discouraged" for a player to run out of bounds.

NFL Live had a nice segment about Lynch this morning. Saying he dont hit the holes like he should, he's always bouncing outside to try and break a long one and that he dances too much in the backfield. When they were first talking about it, I honestly thought they were talking about Willis McGahee.....didnt know it was about Lynch till I turned around.

From what I have seen, the Bills were running right and to the middle too much, especially with Preston at C and Butler out. The only success Lunch or Jackson has had is either running left or bouncing way outside.

I'll also agree with predictable run play calling (something the Turk needs to improve upon).

FWIW, Edwards and the O haven't been the same since the concussion.

NFL Live had a nice segment about Lynch this morning. Saying he dont hit the holes like he should, he's always bouncing outside to try and break a long one and that he dances too much in the backfield. When they were first talking about it, I honestly thought they were talking about Willis McGahee.....didnt know it was about Lynch till I turned around.

I started that thread you refered to regarding Chris Johnson, Matt Forte and Darren McFadden for the purpose of trying to see how fellow Bills fans felt when comparing ML to this years 1st rounders and a middle 2nd rounder (Forte)

Responses ranged from trading ME for a bag of balls and calling it the worst post of the week etc.

I am a diehard Bills fan but I dont keep blinders on. I see ML as "unbeastly" a middle of the pack player unworthy of a 1st rnd pick. Alot of members refuse to acknowledge what their eyes are seeing. Oh well.............

I started that thread you refered to regarding Chris Johnson, Matt Forte and Darren McFadden for the purpose of trying to see how fellow Bills fans felt when comparing ML to this years 1st rounders and a middle 2nd rounder (Forte)

Responses ranged from trading ME for a bag of balls and calling it the worst post of the week etc.

I am a diehard Bills fan but I dont keep blinders on. I see ML as "unbeastly" a middle of the pack player unworthy of a 1st rnd pick. Alot of members refuse to acknowledge what their eyes are seeing. Oh well.............

Dont worry I see it aswell. I seen it since week 1. I have questioned it since then, and ive been ragged on real bad.

I dont call ML Beastmode, I call him Bustmode......

The one move Buffalo missed out on was the one for Michael Turner.

His first few carries today i was actually impressed with Lynch because hit the hole hard and didn't dance. I can accept 3-4 yds and a cloud of dust. I hate when he tries to bouce it outside. HE doesn't have the speed for it and it usually tackled for a loss or no gain. Say what you want about Willis but he was almost always a downhill runner. Lynch is like a lateral, shuffle step runner (whatever that is!)