About that last interception...

bizell

Last interception vs. Jets  

77 members have voted

1. 1. Was the ball thrown short?

• Yes
    • No

Jauron already said that the ball was thrown short. a properly thrown ball on that play wouldve been to the back corner of the endzone, over Hardy's head.

instead, it was a couple yards behind him, allowing the CB to get in perfect position for it.

could Hardy have done more to break up the INT? probably

Ball was thrown way short. I'm not sure Hardy could have done much more to try to break it up. Maybe, but it was so short and the defensive back being in much better position, I don't think there was much more he could do.

This business of trying to excuse Trent's horribly thrown ball by saying Hardy should have done more to break it up is just plain silly.

it was a poorly thrown ball, that just added to a poorly played game. From being on the field for the entire 1st quarter and not scoring any points. To dockery missing a block, and roscoe falling down that led to a pick 6. To Corey Mcintyres inability to pick up a blitzer leading to a sack/fumble. To holding the ball too long at times. To no run game. To the defense giving up an 8 minute drive at home, showing complete inability to get a 3 and out. To poor special teams play. It was an ugly all around effort.

Just wondering what the general concensus is regarding that last pass attempt vs. the Jets. Was the ball not thrown high/long enough for Hardy? Did Hardy not fight enough? Thanks.

It's possible that Hardy could have fought more, but that has little do with the fact that the ball was thrown short. YES, it was thrown short. Move on.

Just wondering what the general concensus is regarding that last pass attempt vs. the Jets. Was the ball not thrown high/long enough for Hardy? Did Hardy not fight enough? Thanks.

It's pretty simple. Hardy is watching the ball for the last 20 yards but fails to stop short and make a play on Trent's under-thrown ball. A great WR makes this catch often, inevitably followed by the announcers giving all sorts of accolades to the QB for the intentional "back shoulder" throw. Hardy may get there eventually, but as a rookie seems to lack some body control and adjustments necessary to make the QB look good.

We'll need a little run now to keep this season on the successful track.

Of course it was thrown short ....... didn't you see it?

If it was properly thrown it would have been out of reach of the defender, and Hardy would have had to jump to get it.

That being said, Hardy did not get physical with the munchkin defending him ..... he did not come back to the ball ..... he did not come over the top and "prybar" the ball out of the defenders hands.

Admittedly I'm a fan of Edwards, but he's the QB, he threw the ball, so I lay the blame for that INT on his shoulders ...... but good recievers help their QBs out of a jam on poorly thrown balls, and Hardy could have a number of different ways but didn't.

On another note ..... just because we've isolated a single play at the end of the game that amounts to a hail mary play, and assigned blame, it is NOT to say either player is bad

Trent threw a jump ball short ........ bad passes happen all the time.

Hardy didn't come back for it or prevent the INT .... he's a rookie ..... he'll learn the tricks of the trade

Ball was thrown way short. I'm not sure Hardy could have done much more to try to break it up. Maybe, but it was so short and the defensive back being in much better position, I don't think there was much more he could do.

This business of trying to excuse Trent's horribly thrown ball by saying Hardy should have done more to break it up is just plain silly.

Nailed it. It amazes me that there are a number of people (a minority, but still) who would rather throw the rookie WR under the bus for Trent's mistake. Trent's been pretty damn good for much of the year, but he fugged this one up.

I seem to remember Trent talking after Hardy's TD against the Jags about how tough that throw is, because you don't want to throw it out of the end zone and want to give the WR a shot at catching it. Looked to me like he just tried to aim that throw, and came up short. All Hardy really could have done is interfere with the DB. That play will get better with more practice and reps.

He was short-arming everything from the minute he threw that bad pick in the redzone. He had accuracy problems from that moment on and it was because he was trying to aim everything instead of letting it go and thats where the short arming issues came from. It doesn't have anything to do with a concussion a month ago, it's because he was a nervous young QB who knew he made a bad mistake that changed the entire complexion of the game and as a result he was excessively cautious of the turnover the rest of the way.

If Turk's a good coach, he'll help him recognize that his caution and his aiming killed his normally outstanding accuracy and led to far more issues than it prevented. And I'm not just talking about the late pick. You go back and look at the film and I bet you'll think he looks like JP on most of his throws, even the short ones he usually excels at.

He's a fine young QB but he needs to learn to forget about previous mistakes and let it fly.

Of course it was thrown short ....... didn't you see it?

If it was properly thrown it would have been out of reach of the defender, and Hardy would have had to jump to get it.

That being said, Hardy did not get physical with the munchkin defending him ..... he did not come back to the ball ..... he did not come over the top and "prybar" the ball out of the defenders hands.

Admittedly I'm a fan of Edwards, but he's the QB, he threw the ball, so I lay the blame for that INT on his shoulders ...... but good recievers help their QBs out of a jam on poorly thrown balls, and Hardy could have a number of different ways but didn't.

On another note ..... just because we've isolated a single play at the end of the game that amounts to a hail mary play, and assigned blame, it is NOT to say either player is bad

Trent threw a jump ball short ........ bad passes happen all the time.

Hardy didn't come back for it or prevent the INT .... he's a rookie ..... he'll learn the tricks of the trade

macaroni, i share your opinion verbatim. i was just interested in other people's opinions. it was just in the game thread i had noticed a lot of people blaming hardy for that interception.

not trying to declare anyone right or wrong, just trying to gather information

duude, get over it. the ball was underthrown and it was intercepted. it was a desperation play anyway. rumor has it that brett favre has underthrown a pass or two in similar circumstances (no matter how many times madden has denied favre has ever done anything that wasn't godlike.)

The Bakk was short, but i do think one thing. When flutie qb'd and E. moulds had his best season the reason was bakks were purposely thrown short. it was a called play. Moulds would stop and then fight the ball away from the defense. Should the bills use this strategy with Hardy?

it was a poorly thrown ball, that just added to a poorly played game. From being on the field for the entire 1st quarter and not scoring any points. To dockery missing a block, and roscoe falling down that led to a pick 6. To Corey Mcintyres inability to pick up a blitzer leading to a sack/fumble. To holding the ball too long at times. To no run game. To the defense giving up an 8 minute drive at home, showing complete inability to get a 3 and out. To poor special teams play. It was an ugly all around effort.

Other than that, how did you enjoy the play, Mr. Lincoln?

:thumbsup:

duude, get over it. the ball was underthrown and it was intercepted. it was a desperation play anyway. rumor has it that brett favre has underthrown a pass or two in similar circumstances (no matter how many times madden has denied favre has ever done anything that wasn't godlike.)

get over yourself, i had an honest question and was wondering other people's opinions. and what the hell does favre have anything to do with this play?