Fast Freddy the new Ronnie Harmon!

Lenigmusx

Fred Jackson really reminds me of Ronnie Harmon. He is a verstal back and he is also a great receiver. I think many people forget how good Ronnie Harmon was until the dreaded drop in 1989. He was an excellent receiver and also was a great one, two , three punch in our running back by committee in 1988. Many forget that Robb "over the top" Riddick and Harmon were the supporting cast before Kenny Davis. Jackson like Harmon is really tough to get a bead on in the open field. Fast Freddy might be the better pure runner and he runs harder than Harmon did but if he can be that much of an asset we are in great shape down the stretch... What has happend to the art form of going over the pile????????What about using John wendling in the goal line "O" he could jump over the pile everytime!!!!!!!

You do know that Fred Jackson is not called "Fast Freddy"...right?

Fast Freddie was Jonathon Smith's nickname, and he is no longer with the Bills.

Just an FYI.

No, I didn't but thank you for pointing that out!!! What is Fred Jackson's nickname????

Guest dog14787
No, I didn't but thank you for pointing that out!!! What is Fred Jackson's nickname????

Don't you think fast Freddie fits Fred Jackson better? I do, action Jackon is also used allot :devil:

Good question. We have one poster who refers to him as "Head", but I have no idea why. :devil:

I wouldn't start comparing Jackson to Harmon, until he is done playing...Harmon turned into a much better back once he left Buffalo, but his tenure in Buffalo was marred by one of the worst clutch time, dropped passes in team history, and was known as kind of a trouble maker, racist in the locker room...I know what you are getting at, but I would prefer to think of Fred Jackson as the "new Kenneth Davis" than the new Ronnie Harmon.

On a similar note, how long before we start referring to Robert Royal as the "next Perry Tuttle"...

I wouldn't start comparing Jackson to Harmon, until he is done playing...Harmon turned into a much better back once he left Buffalo, but his tenure in Buffalo was marred by one of the worst clutch time, dropped passes in team history, and was known as kind of a trouble maker, racist in the locker room...I know what you are getting at, but I would prefer to think of Fred Jackson as the "new Kenneth Davis" than the new Ronnie Harmon.

On a similar note, how long before we start referring to Robert Royal as the "next Perry Tuttle"...

Friggin' Lonnie!

Fred Jackson really reminds me of Ronnie Harmon. He is a verstal back and he is also a great receiver. I think many people forget how good Ronnie Harmon was until the dreaded drop in 1989. He was an excellent receiver and also was a great one, two , three punch in our running back by committee in 1988. Many forget that Robb "over the top" Riddick and Harmon were the supporting cast before Kenny Davis. Jackson like Harmon is really tough to get a bead on in the open field. Fast Freddy might be the better pure runner and he runs harder than Harmon did but if he can be that much of an asset we are in great shape down the stretch... What has happend to the art form of going over the pile????????What about using John wendling in the goal line "O" he could jump over the pile everytime!!!!!!!

Um, no he is not. Harmon was not that good running the ball from the RB position. Harmon was way too much East-West. Even SD realized that, and lined Harmon up as an H-Back, not a RB.

I'd like to start referring to Robert Royal as "the newest member of the Carolina Panthers...."

Guest dog14787
I call him Head, cuz Marshawn calls him Head. good enough reason for me. I dub yee Fred Jackson, Head Jackson.

Head honcho, when it comes to running the ball. :devil:

Didn't Ronnie Harmon make disparaging remarks about Andre Reed because he was light skinned, or something to that effect? :worthy:

Big head ?

Gives head ?

Go ahead?

Who knows !

Well, according to NewEra and GoBillsDB, it is because Marshawn calls him "Head". That's good enough for me (if it's true).

You do know that Fred Jackson is not called "Fast Freddy"...right?

Fast Freddie was Jonathon Smith's nickname, and he is no longer with the Bills.

Just an FYI.

:worthy: I've been known to call him Fast Freddy. I must now stop, dint realize Smith had franchised the nickname.

Um, no he is not. Harmon was not that good running the ball from the RB position. Harmon was way too much East-West. Even SD realized that, and lined Harmon up as an H-Back, not a RB.

His career Stats might change your opinion on his running ability! 615 carries for 2774 yards and a 4.5 yd per carry average. I would say he was a pretty good runner and not just a receiver. He also caught 582 passes for 6076 yds and a 10.4 yd per reception average. Harmon had alot of TD's though 10 rushing and 26 receiving.

Fred Jackson so far has 107 carries for 508 yds and a 4.7 per carry average 40 receptions for 344 yds and 8.4 yd average per catch only 1 TD and it was rushing. Multiply these numbers by 5 to equal ten years in the league and here is what you get.

535 carries for 2540 yds 4.7 per 200 receptions 1740 yds but I think Fred career numbers will be higher he is of course only half way through this season. Do you still think my comparison is that far off????

I love the idea of Wendling jumping over the pile. Jackson is a great asset that we need to use a lot this week. If we can get Marshawn the tough carries early then we should be able to open up the passing game. The defense needs to step it up. Our d-line must penitrate the backfield so the linebackers can blitz like crazy. If McGee isn't up to par then they need to bench him. Good thing we are at home. Bills win 37-17.

His career Stats might change your opinion on his running ability! 615 carries for 2774 yards and a 4.5 yd per carry average. I would say he was a pretty good runner and not just a receiver. He also caught 582 passes for 6076 yds and a 10.4 yd per reception average. Harmon had alot of TD's though 10 rushing and 26 receiving.

Fred Jackson so far has 107 carries for 508 yds and a 4.7 per carry average 40 receptions for 344 yds and 8.4 yd average per catch only 1 TD and it was rushing. Multiply these numbers by 5 to equal ten years in the league and here is what you get.

535 carries for 2540 yds 4.7 per 200 receptions 1740 yds but I think Fred career numbers will be higher he is of course only half way through this season. Do you still think my comparison is that far off????

I am not overly concerned what his stats say. I watched him play. He did not operate in traffic well. He was constantly trying to bounce stuff to the outside.

But if you want to go the stat route, compare his stats when he was in Buffalo to when he was in SD. SD used him as an H-Back. Buffalo did not. When Harmon ran from the H-Back position, he was running pitch outs, laterals, sweeps, reverses, etc.. anything to get him into open space, and running to the outsides.

Didn't Ronnie Harmon make disparaging remarks about Andre Reed because he was light skinned, or something to that effect? :rolleyes:

According to Fred Smerlas (another of my least favorite Bills), there was a fair amount of racial division on those terrible Bills teams of the mid-80's (post Knox, pre-Marv). In his book, Smerlas says (it has been a few years since I read it, so forgive me if I get any of this wrong) Harmon was getting a team ball signed, by black teammates only. When the ball was passed to Andre to sign, Harmon grabbed it out of his hand, and said something to the effect of "I don't want an oreo signing that ball", or something stupid like that, and proceeded to belittle the rookie. Honestly, I am not sure Andre is from a mixed backround, or if it was just the fact that he is light skinned. I am certain, however, that Harmon, Chris Burkett, Fred Smerlas and Jim Haslett had their fair amount of problems off the field.

Incidently, anyone who is old enough to remember Harmons drop in the endzone, in the waning moments of the Bills/Browns 1989 wild card game, will also remember that Harmon was rumoured to have been on the "take", so to speak, while he was in college. I don't recall all the details, but the normally reliable pass catcher out of the backfield, turned some heads with numerous drops in a college bowl game, that his team was favored to win...that day in Cleveland, I really had to wonder if he was up to the same thing again...it wasn't a perfectly placed pass, but one Harmon should have caught...of course, Jimbo threw an int the next play, to ice the game for the Browns.

According to Fred Smerlas (another of my least favorite Bills), there was a fair amount of racial division on those terrible Bills teams of the mid-80's (post Knox, pre-Marv). In his book, Smerlas says (it has been a few years since I read it, so forgive me if I get any of this wrong) Harmon was getting a team ball signed, by black teammates only. When the ball was passed to Andre to sign, Harmon grabbed it out of his hand, and said something to the effect of "I don't want an oreo signing that ball", or something stupid like that, and proceeded to belittle the rookie. Honestly, I am not sure Andre is from a mixed backround, or if it was just the fact that he is light skinned. I am certain, however, that Harmon, Chris Burkett, Fred Smerlas and Jim Haslett had their fair amount of problems off the field.

Incidently, anyone who is old enough to remember Harmons drop in the endzone, in the waning moments of the Bills/Browns 1989 wild card game, will also remember that Harmon was rumoured to have been on the "take", so to speak, while he was in college. I don't recall all the details, but the normally reliable pass catcher out of the backfield, turned some heads with numerous drops in a college bowl game, that his team was favored to win...that day in Cleveland, I really had to wonder if he was up to the same thing again...it wasn't a perfectly placed pass, but one Harmon should have caught...of course, Jimbo threw an int the next play, to ice the game for the Browns.

That's okay. Karma's a :rolleyes:

Andre Reed will go down in history as a HOF, and Ronnie Harmon will go down in history as trivia question.

In the words of the immortal "The Dean" ! Shiv the mofo!