Parrish---why is he not a better WR??

Big Turk

I have always been perplexed with Roscoe Parrish....the guy might be the quickest player in the NFL and has tremendous speed. Lining him up in the slot and forcing a 3rd CB or safety to cover him would seem like a nightmare matchup and one that Parrish SHOULD be able to win virtually every time, especially if he is running a crossing route across the middle. Yes he has some nice plays every year in the passing game, but IMHO we should be expecting more from him. He should be virtually uncoverable by the players that are trying to cover him, and he isn't...

Anyone have any thoughts on this? I know he is small, but so is Steve Smith and Santana Moss, and they are starters...

I have always been perplexed with Roscoe Parrish....the guy might be the quickest player in the NFL and has tremendous speed. Lining him up in the slot and forcing a 3rd CB or safety to cover him would seem like a nightmare matchup and one that Parrish SHOULD be able to win virtually every time, especially if he is running a crossing route across the middle. Yes he has some nice plays every year in the passing game, but IMHO we should be expecting more from him. He should be virtually uncoverable by the players that are trying to cover him, and he isn't...

Anyone have any thoughts on this? I know he is small, but so is Steve Smith and Santana Moss, and they are starters...

For starters, no pun intended, Smith and Moss both are listed as the same height as Parrish, but have a listed weight of about 20 pounds more.

It's funny others on here in the past have called parrish a "great" receiver and when he was out the arizona game pointed out how bad the offense looked, i like roscoe as a player but as a receiver the guy is definitely over hyped and has alaways been. It looks like now he will get his chance to show what he can do, i hope he proves me wrong i really do. If parrish or hardy doesn't step up, i hope the coaches have enough common sense to either get fred jackson involved alot more or give johnson a chance, the bills could be in for a rough next few weeks or 4-5 depending how long reed is out.

One of the knocks on Desmond Howard was that he couldn't fight off the jam. Given Parrish's stature, I'd be surprised if he didn't suffer from the same problem. If you can't fight through it, you're pretty much dead to rights on a pass play.

Yep. Especially when he's split wide and the defense can use the sideline as an extra defender. He simply cannot beat jams often enough to be a reliable option set wide. As for slot, he's a natural and he would do better if the Bills motioned him more to free him from jam coverages.

GO BILLS!!!

I agree, I've never understood it either - with his quickness, he should be absolutely impossible to cover one on one. He should be open on every single play.

Last year I thought the Bills braintrust learned that Roscoe can make plays and that he drives defenses crazy with his quickness. I thought I heard the coaches say they need to get him the ball more. 7 games in he's got 10 catches. 35 catches last year. Hardy not playing much, so they've gone away from Roscoe for some reason.

They have thrown more to the backs. Lynch and Jackson have 42 catches combined.

its hard to see 5'7" running a crossing route out of the slot. Thats why we need a big TE. Parrish is a perimter player that needs open space to be good. If he starts in the slot he is not effective going over the middle, and that eliminates 60% of the field from him to utilize.