Mike Singletary

Dan

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I tend to agree with you. But... I'm not so sure. I think he's got a high probability of busting. Today's players don't seem to respond to the tough Coaches. I couldn't help but think he sounded a little Dennis Greenish to me. It'll be be interesting to see how the team responds.

In his first game he benched the starting QB and sent his starting TE to the showers. Maybe the team has a serious discipline problem. I don't know. But he definitely made it clear as to who's calling the shots now.

I was watching this game( I live in the Bay Area so I had no choice but to watch it), Singletary benched J.T. O'Sullivan, because he was playing terribly. As for Vernon Davis, I was surprised that he sent him to the locker room, I understand why, Davis made a very stupid penalty. I know a few Niners fans and they were glad Singletary did that.

It'll be a most interesting day on the radio tomorrow, because everyone in the Bay Area will be talking about it.

It seemed fairly trivial to me. My take was that Singletary was ripping him on the sideline about it and VD just kinda sat there with a "whatever" look on his face. Singletary walked away, then came back a few minutes later and said something to the effect of with that attitude he would do the team the best good in the showers.

That changes things again, IMO. It may be that Singletary didn't kick him to the locker room for making a stupid play, but for not caring about it, or showing any remorse/disgust/etc, on the sidelines. The last think a guy like Singletary is going to put up with is a "whatever" attitude from a player.

This can be a difficult tightrope to walk, Different guys show their emotions differently. I hope Singletary knows how VD reacts enough to know that he really wasn't torn up inside. Not everyone acts fiery on the sidelines. As long as they PLAY with desire, that really should suffice. But, at the very least, I'm guessing VD will learn you don't blow off your HC when he is telling you something on the sidelines.

Yeap, they all biatched about Coughlin in NYC. But now they have all have a ring too ... bout time Plaxico grew up and stopped this juvenline "testing" of the limits. they won one game w/o him and another today where he barely played

That's because Coughlin CHANGED last year. He decided his old style wasn't working, and he was right. He had to change, because he was an !@#$.

That changes things again, IMO. It may be that Singletary didn't kick him to the locker room for making a stupid play, but for not caring about it, or showing any remorse/disgust/etc, on the sidelines. The last think a guy like Singletary is going to put up with is a "whatever" attitude from a player.

This can be a difficult tightrope to walk, Different guys show their emotions differently. I hope Singletary knows how VD reacts enough to know that he really wasn't torn up inside. Not everyone acts fiery on the sidelines. As long as they PLAY with desire, that really should suffice. But, at the very least, I'm guessing VD will learn you don't blow off your HC when he is telling you something on the sidelines.

From an article linked in the one Steely posted:

Former coach Mike Nolan pulled Davis out of a game earlier this year but did not send him to the locker room. Last month at New Orleans, Davis made a 19-yard catch with 6:20 remaining for his only reception in a 31-17 loss and pounded his chest and yelled loudly.

Sounds like Davis' behavior is forming a pattern...

LINK

Will see if the players repsond here, I doubt they will, they get their big fat pay checks.

Yes, they owe us an explanation for every single bad game. :sick: They are 5-2.

Look for a lot of trades and a lot of cuts in the offseason. Singletary is going to build a team of his guys. We'll see how that goes in todays NFL.

I couldn't help but think he sounded a little Dennis Greenish to me.

Really?

What do you think Singletary would have said if Randy Moss had been on his team and said "I play when I want to play?"

That's right, he would have said "No, you play when I want you to play. So you let me know when you want to play and I'll think about whether I want you to play. In the meantime you can sit your a$$ on the bench right there."

Dennis Green didn't say that. In fact, Dennis Green didn't say ANYTHING.

I'll say now that Singletary will be a very successful head coach in the NFL for a long time IMO. The guy has incredible guiding principles, leadership and determination. He's a proven winner as a player, a businessman and a man. A guy you root for.

I think he couild be a good coach but he may have blown it just yesterday. I was watching some college game a few weeks ago and they talked about how the coach, when he first got to the program was a teacher and was able to biuld the program that way and once they became a power he could be the diciplinary and hard ass.

I agreed with his message 100% but to piublically calll out a player like that today is not a good idea. Maybe im wrong but i could see this going very badly.

as Mike Golic just pointed out, Singeltary is "setting parameters". Normally, these no-B.S. parameters are set during training camp. but since he is taking over midway through the season, he has to start setting them now.

he has a lot of work ahead of him and its going to get tougher (on him and the players) before it gets easier.

I think he couild be a good coach but he may have blown it just yesterday. I was watching some college game a few weeks ago and they talked about how the coach, when he first got to the program was a teacher and was able to biuld the program that way and once they became a power he could be the diciplinary and hard ass.

I agreed with his message 100% but to piublically calll out a player like that today is not a good idea. Maybe im wrong but i could see this going very badly.

i disagree. he was calling out that "type" of player. and if he happened to use one incredibly overpaid and selfish player as an example, fine. if that primadonna cant handle it... then i guess Singeltary is right again.

He'll get things right with Davis. SF might not be the right place for him. The wine and cheese crowd loves a winner, but has never seen a coach of his style. Might be a square peg there. Detroit a better fit.

I've been waiting to see what Mike Singletary can do as a head coach. BTW, his alma mater Baylor passed up on him earlier this year (Baylor's 3-5 with their new head man, which is like 6-2 just about anywhere else).

Personally? I love what he did. The fans love it, and the organization probably loves it as well.

Singletary wants players that played the game like he did...with tons of preparation and controlled abandon.

Mike Singletary was the second greatest defensive player I ever saw (Lawrence Taylor is first). I think he will be successful...maybe not immediately, but I think he's already changing the culture of a losing team in San Francisco.

<_< for Mike Singletary.

Really?

What do you think Singletary would have said if Randy Moss had been on his team and said "I play when I want to play?"

That's right, he would have said "No, you play when I want you to play. So you let me know when you want to play and I'll think about whether I want you to play. In the meantime you can sit your a$$ on the bench right there."

Dennis Green didn't say that. In fact, Dennis Green didn't say ANYTHING.

I see your point. I just think those kind of statements and outbursts are best done "in-house" or at least they're usually done "in-house". So that's how I saw it Dennis Greenish, in that he stated it all in the PC rather than give the typical coachspeak.

From an article linked in the one Steely posted:

Former coach Mike Nolan pulled Davis out of a game earlier this year but did not send him to the locker room. Last month at New Orleans, Davis made a 19-yard catch with 6:20 remaining for his only reception in a 31-17 loss and pounded his chest and yelled loudly.

Sounds like Davis' behavior is forming a pattern...

LINK

I hate it when players beat their chest, or otherwise celebrate meaningless 1st downs when there team is getting pounded, etc. So, I can understand being upset with Davis in a situation, like that. But, in this NFL, a coach that punishes a player for doing that, better be prepared to do that whenever it occurs, IMO. I really believe you can stop your players from acting like idiots, if you are consistent in your message. I wish more coaches did that, because it is the norm, not the exception, right now in the NFL.

I hate it when players beat their chest, or otherwise celebrate meaningless 1st downs when there team is getting pounded, etc. So, I can understand being upset with Davis in a situation, like that. But, in this NFL, a coach that punishes a player for doing that, better be prepared to do that whenever it occurs, IMO. I really believe you can stop your players from acting like idiots, if you are consistent in your message. I wish more coaches did that, because it is the norm, not the exception, right now in the NFL.

Sounds like, from Michael Silver's Yahoo! Sports column, other Niners players were already getting sick of Davis's crap. Silver has on the exchange between Singletary and Davis:

Late in the third quarter, with the Niners trailing 27-6, Davis caught a sideline pass from quarterback Shaun Hill at the Seahawks’ 42-yard line and was driven out of bounds by safety Brian Russell, who talked a little trash in the process.

Davis stuck his right hand under Russell’s chin and gave it a push upward, drawing a 15-yard penalty for unsportsmanlike conduct. He came off the field acting like nothing had happened, and Singletary began to deliver a stern lecture.

“You don’t need to be sayin’ nothin’ to me right now,” Davis barked at the coach, according to witnesses. Singletary ordered Davis to take a seat on the bench, and shortly thereafter the coach approached and stressed the importance of avoiding stupid penalties.

“I said I don’t need to hear it,” Davis snapped, cutting him off.

Singletary told Davis to go take a shower, and as the Niners were driving for their first and only touchdown of the game, the tight end was waving his helmet at what was left of the announced crowd of 67,504 and heading through the tunnel.

Upon reaching the locker room, Davis took his helmet and threw it violently against a wall, according to one eyewitness.

Meanwhile, on the 49ers’ sidelines, most of Davis’ teammates were quietly singing the praises of ‘Coach Sing.’ ”

Explained one veteran defender: “Vernon does this crap all the time, and Nolan would always let it go. He created this monster. The good news is that Coach Sing wasn’t having that.”

Added another veteran defender: “No one’s bigger than the team, right? We were all happy to see that this (expletive) won’t be tolerated.”

LINK

Wonder how long Martz will last there.

That's an excellent question. As an interim HC, there is probably little he can do. It will be interesting to see what happens if he is offered the job at the end of the season.