As a QB who does Edwards most remind you of

JimmyPage

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would describe Edwards as a Chad Pennington with a stronger arm.

Pennington killed opponents with ball control and was able to take mediocre teams further than most QBs would be able to.

I'm surprised none of you mentioned Peyton Manning! When I watched Edwards dissect the Raiders defense in the 3rd and 4th quarters of that game, I thought he looked just like Manning in those drives. This kid has all the tools and it's so nice to feel confident about upcoming games again! Thank you Trent, you are the great white hope for our long awaited Superbowl win. :lol:

Joe Montana and Tom Brady. Smart QBs who spread the ball around and lead their team to victory. Pin point accuracy.

On style, he is certainly in line with these two guys, with some Aikman mixed in. However, recently I heard one of the talking heads, and I can't remember who (Joe D perhaps?) compare him to the unheralded Brian Sipe. I think it is a good comparison. Both had very uderrated arms and mobility, and were smart. Sipe was on some dreadful Browns teams, but when the talent around him improved just a little, he was able to elevate his game very high. I don't see the Elway comparisons at all, beyond the fact that they are both Stanford guys. Their playing style isn't very similar at all. I am a big Elway fan too, but he was not the accurate, high percentage passer that Trent is, until very late in his career. Elway was much more the "gunslinger" than Trent.

Montana is probably the closest. It's scary for Trent to be playing as good as he is at this stage in his career.

If you think about the normal progression of a QB; most learn their limits by making mistakes. Trent seems to be learning his limits by slowly pushing them.

Admittedly, I am too young to have seen the earliest years of Montana/Kelly/Marino/Elway so they may have exhibited the same traits, however, I have yet to see anything quite like it in my 12 or so years of passionate football watching.

I had this conversation with my bro a few days ago, and Aikman was the name I threw out there. He just finds a way to win.

I didn't see much of Montana, but from what I understand, Trent plays along those lines. A cerebral quarterback who will take what you give him, and always seems to know where to go with the football. Montana is well-known for playing under pressure, and Edwards has already at this early stage shown the moxy needed to shine (and sometimes lead a comeback) in the late stages in the game. Pressure, whether from the defense or the game situation, just doesn't seem to get to him.

The Brady comparisons are obvious...clearly not calibre (yet?), but style. Both guys find ways to lead their teams to wins* without being flashy, neither have cannon arms but can make all the throws, both throw the ball accurately to maximaze YAC, both guys (again) seem to have a way of just always knowing where to go with the ball, and both guys are masters at not seeing, but sensing the rush, and just taking the small step or two that will make all the difference.

It will sure be something if Trent becomes the next Brady the 100% legal way.

I had this conversation with my bro a few days ago, and Aikman was the name I threw out there. He just finds a way to win.

I didn't see much of Montana, but from what I understand, Trent plays along those lines. A cerebral quarterback who will take what you give him, and always seems to know where to go with the football. Montana is well-known for playing under pressure, and Edwards has already at this early stage shown the moxy needed to shine (and sometimes lead a comeback) in the late stages in the game. Pressure, whether from the defense or the game situation, just doesn't seem to get to him.

The Brady comparisons are obvious...clearly not calibre (yet?), but style. Both guys find ways to lead their teams to wins* without being flashy, neither have cannon arms but can make all the throws, both throw the ball accurately to maximaze YAC, both guys (again) seem to have a way of just always knowing where to go with the ball, and both guys are masters at not seeing, but sensing the rush, and just taking the small step or two that will make all the difference.

It will sure be something if Trent becomes the next Brady the 100% legal way.

I understand the comparisons to the Brady of several years ago. But, Brady has developed into a guy that really CAN throw the bomb, with incredibly accuracy...and maybe Trent will develop that, too.

What I fear from the comparisons to Brady, Montana and the like, is that these comparisons are to some of the best QBs of all time. Will people really be disappointed if he simply develops into a Bob Griese, Bart Starr or Ken Anderson? I certainly won't. As recently as a year or two ago, I would trade three #1 picks for a QB of the caliber of those guys.

Right now, it is fairly clear that he has the potential to be very, very good. But, hanging expectations like "the next Montana" can't do anyone any good, this early in a player's career, IMO.

If he becomes one of the all-time greats, GREAT! But, if he simply develops into a reliable and tough QB, who does an excellent job of running the team, finds ways to win when he has to, and doesn't lose games by making mistakes, then I will be very happy....if the Bills are a consistent winning team and a regular legit contender for the SB. Maybe I am too easy to please.

I understand the comparisons to the Brady of several years ago. But, Brady has developed into a guy that really CAN throw the bomb, with incredibly accuracy...and maybe Trent will develop that, too.

What I fear from the comparisons to Brady, Montana and the like, is that these comparisons are to some of the best QBs of all time. Will people really be disappointed if he simply develops into a Bob Griese, Bart Starr or Ken Anderson? I certainly won't. As recently as a year or two ago, I would trade three #1 picks for a QB of the caliber of those guys.

Right now, it is fairly clear that he has the potential to be very, very good. But, hanging expectations like "the next Montana" can't do anyone any good, this early in a player's career, IMO.

If he becomes one of the all-time greats, GREAT! But, if he simply develops into a reliable and tough QB, who does an excellent job of running the team, finds ways to win when he has to, and doesn't lose games by making mistakes, then I will be very happy....if the Bills are a consistent winning team and a regular legit contender for the SB. Maybe I am too easy to please.

I don't believe comparing Trent Edwards to Joe Montana necessarily equates to expecting Trent to BECOME Joe Montana.

Your point is well-taken, but look at it this way. As far as actual performance level TODAY, at this point in his career, who would you compare Trent to? Maybe a Jake Delhomme, a Trent Green, a Marc Bulger or a Matt Hasselbeck? Honestly, if I had to compare Edwards' play right now to one quarterback, it would probably be Delhomme. Neither guy is asked to win games by themselves, yet neither one is in the Joe Flacco 'just don't lose it for us' mold. Both guys need to make contributions if their team is going to get anywhere, and they've both proven worthy of that responsibility. Trent differs because he has more upside, but upside is irrelevant to where he is right now.

And yet if you go through this thread, you'll find very few comparisions to these types of quarterbacks. Is that because most of the replies are from people so drunk on Kool-Aid they can't see straight?

I think, rather, that "Trent Green in his best days" simply isn't the kind of response this question tends to invoke. We tend to take the question "Who does Trent Edwards remind you of?" and translate it into something like "When he's playing winning football, what other quarterback's style of winning football does Trent come closest to?" Maybe thats why you get more Joe Montana than Bob Griese.

Again, someone comparing Edwards to Tom Brady, I don't believe necessarily means they think Edwards is as good as Tom Brady. The next Donovan McNabb or Drew Brees would do just fine.