How low will the stock market go under Obama?

Fingon

It's fairly obvious that the market will tank even more under Obama. You will see mass selling just before he gets into office (to avoid paying double the capital gains taxes), and will see people more reluctant to invest in the market. This will be disastrous for the already tanking market, and (ironically) cause even more hardship for the 401k's of the middle class. The question becomes... can we really afford to hit the markets when they are already on the brink of collapse?

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's fairly obvious that the market will tank even more under Obama. You will see mass selling just before he gets into office (to avoid paying double the capital gains taxes), and will see people more reluctant to invest in the market. This will be disastrous for the already tanking market, and (ironically) cause even more hardship for the 401k's of the middle class. The question becomes... can we really afford to hit the markets when they are already on the brink of collapse?

I would think that since most market participants know that the market has historically performed better under democratic administrations than republicans, long term money will stay. In addition, the majority of stocks are held by institutions that don't pay capital gains taxes. Find another dead horse to beat...

I would think that since most market participants know that the market has historically performed better under democratic administrations than republicans, long term money will stay. In addition, the majority of stocks are held by institutions that don't pay capital gains taxes. Find another dead horse to beat...

Echo... Nice try for a topic...

It's fairly obvious that the market will tank even more under Obama.

I'm not so sure about that. I think you have a greater chance for the market to bounce back with Obama than McCain, for mostly the reasons you gave. Regardless, the Market perhaps will not be affected as greatly as you expect by the President, whomever it may be.

Actually, it's a known fact that the market dips sharply before more capital gains taxes are enacted. Also, you are completely wrong.. as corporations do pay capital gains taxes, but the tax rate is significantly higher already. Again, it is a known fact that raising capital gains taxes decreases the amount of money in the markets. Clinton recognized this, and he subsequently cut the capital gains taxes from 28% to 20% in the 90's.

What are the powerball numbers for this weekend? Your asking a question than no one can tell you at this time but great propaganda.

Wall Street is acting now on the news that is seems Obama will win. You won't find a down-the-middle broker who would say otherwise.

Boy, Obama is a real disaster, and hasn't even been elected yet! I'm already longing for the Bush years. Bush was steady, things were alright and life was grand....and then Obama came along and ruined everything! This economy under the shadow of Obama is a joke! :ph34r: :ph34r:

Wall Street is acting now on the news that is seems Obama will win. You won't find a down-the-middle broker who would say otherwise.

I will say this once, the election has almost no bearing on what is happening on the Street right now. This is a cash crunch...pure and simple. Everyone is trying to sell whatever they can (oil contracts, stocks, gold etc.) to raise as much cash as possible.

I will say this once, the election has almost no bearing on what is happening on the Street right now. This is a cash crunch...pure and simple. Everyone is trying to sell whatever they can (oil contracts, stocks, gold etc.) to raise as much cash as possible.

Corrrect in a market like this CASH is king. Everyone is playing the game of getting the cash they can sometimes for positioning for buy in as well as protecting some level of income.

I think this is correct. While there may be a fortunate few selling because they are worried about stock gains, I think the majority are anticipating a flat decade ahead which, given the uncertainty right now, hardly merits the risk.

The other big impact you are seeing is an upsurge in the acquisition of small privately-held businesses, whose owners want to cash in before the capital gains tax rises. For anybody who lucked out with a successfull startup, selling now vs selling in a few years could cost them $5 million.

I think this is correct. While there may be a fortunate few selling because they are worried about stock gains, I think the majority are anticipating a flat decade ahead which, given the uncertainty right now, hardly merits the risk.

The other big impact you are seeing is an upsurge in the acquisition of small privately-held businesses, whose owners want to cash in before the capital gains tax rises. For anybody who lucked out with a successfull startup, selling now vs selling in a few years could cost them $5 million.

Hey maybe the threat of Obama will get Ralph to sell the Bills soon to Kelly and his gang that has promised to stay in Buffalo :thumbsup:

I dunno, but regardless of who is president...

All 3 of the big automakers are going to have to go into some sort of bankruptcy

A lot of retail stores are going to close down

Foreclosures are going to increase over the next 12 months as variable rate adjustments kick in.

So we're in trouble either way.

I dont think there is a tax that wont go up when Obama is President. In addition I think they'll be a internet tax of some kind started too. With the Congress, Senate and POTUS all Democrats they'll need to find new revenue for all those free things they want to give out.