On November 30th...

TPS

I hope everyone at RWS raises a glass to the late Bill Walsh and thank him for calling Marv and recommending that he draft Trent Edwards.

On this date the Bills play the 49ers, and it's Walsh's birthday...

How appropriate. :ph34r:

I hope everyone at RWS raises a glass to the late Bill Walsh and thank him for calling Marv and recommending that he draft Trent Edwards.

On this date the Bills play the 49ers, and it's Walsh's birthday...

How appropriate. :ph34r:

Nice story, but it isn't accurate. The Bills drafted Edwards, THEN Walsh called and said "you've got a good one" . Your version is revisionist history, I'm afraid.

Nice story, but it isn't accurate. The Bills drafted Edwards, THEN Walsh called and said "you've got a good one" . Your version is revisionist history, I'm afraid.

Actually, his "revision" is accurate. Walsh was talking up Edwards to anyone who would listen, prior to the draft.

"He recommended Edwards to anyone who would listen, including Bills General Manager Marv Levy, the Hall of Fame coach (and an assistant with Walsh at Cal in the 1960s.) Buffalo took Edwards in the third round, making him 92nd pick overall and the sixth quarterback drafted.

"(Walsh's) opinion of me was something I greatly appreciated," Edwards said. "Obviously, he is very knowledgeable. There was always a smile on his face. He was one of those people you were glad to see walking your way."

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_qn41...s_/ai_n21037256

This was confirmed on the PTI interview. Walsh recommended Edwards to Levy prior to the draft.

Im afraid you dont know what you are talking about. Edwards met Walsh at Stanford. Now try and follow this, when Edwards was at Stanford, he wasnt drafted by the Bills yet. Therefore, hopefully you are still with me, you are absolutely wrong.

Try not calling people "revisionists" when you dont even know what they hell you are talking about.

I agree with you despite what that article says, Marv was called AFTER he drafted Trent. The article is just WRONG.

Im afraid you dont know what you are talking about. Edwards met Walsh at Stanford. Now try and follow this, when Edwards was at Stanford, he wasnt drafted by the Bills yet. Therefore, hopefully you are still with me, you are absolutely wrong.

Try not calling people "revisionists" when you dont even know what they hell you are talking about.

So just because Walsh met Trent before he was drafted means Walsh called the Bills before they drafted Trent? Your argument doesn't add up. Maybe our scouts just noticed the same things Walsh noticed.

Isn't it possible that Walsh mentioned something to Marv before the draft (he was talking up Trent, or so they say) AND called him afterward to say "you got a good one"?

Sheesh. Such a big fuss over nothing.

Marv Levy met Bill Walsh when the 2 coached together on the Cal staff back in the day.

Trent Edwards met Bill Walsh while playing football at Stanford.

Bill Walsh was enamored with Edwards' personality, play and work ethic on the football field.

Trent did not have a very good college career, but he was a hell of a player, and Walsh knew that.

The draft was approaching and Walsh knew all about Trent, but probably thought his stats hurt his draft stock.

Bill Walsh called the teams that would listen about Trent Edwards. Walsh's old buddy Marv Levy needed a QB in Buffalo.

Marv Levy and the Bills studied Edwards and they noticed something special...

Have you been following me? That is not hard to understand, now is it? Can you draw your own conclusion from there...?

Isn't it possible that Walsh mentioned something to Marv before the draft (he was talking up Trent, or so they say) AND called him afterward to say "you got a good one"?

I heard he called him from the grave.

So just because Walsh met Trent before he was drafted means Walsh called the Bills before they drafted Trent? Your argument doesn't add up. Maybe our scouts just noticed the same things Walsh noticed.

Can't quote it but i remember Bills brass saying they had Edwards graded as a 1st Rd talent, and when he was still sitting there in round 3 they just had to take him because of the value.

Marv has said in the past that he was called by Walsh AFTER the draft. I don't believe I ever saw an article that Marv said he was called before the draft. But you are right big fuss over nothing.

i also read that he was talking up edwards before the draft but i do not think there was any pre-draft link to marv that has been publicized.

Marv Levy met Bill Walsh when the 2 coached together on the Cal staff back in the day.

Trent Edwards met Bill Walsh while playing football at Stanford.

Bill Walsh was enamored with Edwards' personality, play and work ethic on the football field.

Trent did not have a very good college career, but he was a hell of a player, and Walsh knew that.

The draft was approaching and Walsh knew all about Trent, but probably thought his stats hurt his draft stock.

Bill Walsh called the teams that would listen about Trent Edwards. Walsh's old buddy Marv Levy needed a QB in Buffalo.

Marv Levy and the Bills studied Edwards and they noticed something special...

Have you been following me? That is not hard to understand, now is it? Can you draw your own conclusion from there...?

What are you doing, just making this shiit up as you go along.

They interviewed Levy last year on GR & Marv said Walsh called him AFTER the draft & said you guys got yourself a good one. They never spoke before the draft. Stop being such a know-it-all you condescending prick.

Generalissimo Francisco Franco and Bill Walsh are still dead.

I heard he called him from the grave.

LOL That is the line that best describes the silliness of this topic. The decision to draft Edwards was not based on Walsh's recommendation. It was based on good scouting and a consensus among the staff that this player graded out well. Give Levy and company the credit, where it is due.

So, Walsh is talking up Edwards to every NFL GM prior to the draft, yet apparently he must have said something special to Levy to make him a true believer in the 3rd round?

M'Kay.

How good were those first three picks?!

Lynch

Posluszny

Edwards...

What a first day to a great draft!

Yes, and we have Tom Donahoe to thank. We were very lucky that he left his copious notes behind. Not many people know about this, but it is true.