On November 30th...

TPS

Actually, his "revision" is accurate. Walsh was talking up Edwards to anyone who would listen, prior to the draft.

"He recommended Edwards to anyone who would listen, including Bills General Manager Marv Levy, the Hall of Fame coach (and an assistant with Walsh at Cal in the 1960s.) Buffalo took Edwards in the third round, making him 92nd pick overall and the sixth quarterback drafted.

"(Walsh's) opinion of me was something I greatly appreciated," Edwards said. "Obviously, he is very knowledgeable. There was always a smile on his face. He was one of those people you were glad to see walking your way."

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_qn41...s_/ai_n21037256

This was confirmed on the PTI interview. Walsh recommended Edwards to Levy prior to the draft.

You are correct, but one thing never made sense to me... Why didn't the 49ers draft Trent if they knew about him??? They are in desperate need of a QB, and he was a home grown kid. Thanks a lot Bill

You are correct, but one thing never made sense to me... Why didn't the 49ers draft Trent if they knew about him??? They are in desperate need of a QB, and he was a home grown kid. Thanks a lot Bill

Everyone knew about him, most of all the 49ers, as he played at Stanford. There were many concerns about Trent, as he played on a losing program, and missed a lot of PT (he was regularly hammered).

one thing never made sense to me... Why didn't the 49ers draft Trent if they knew about him??? They are in desperate need of a QB, and he was a home grown kid. Thanks a lot Bill

At last, an easy one: because they'd drafted Alex Smith #1 overall recently enough that they couldn't use a high pick on another quarterback in '07. At that point they probably hadn't decided Smith was a bust yet. (As I recall, he was the Opening Day starter in '07.)