Need opinions about Pit Bulls

aussiew

I'll start by saying I love dogs.

I would NEVER get a "pit bull" or "rotweiller"...I'm sorry. We've had 2 "Pit Bulls" here in Jamestown just in the last month that attacked people. One for knocking on the door (went thru the storm door window) while another kid was walking in front of the house and was attacked when one got out. NEITHER of the two have ever shown signs of aggression. These type of dogs "just snap." Just because you don't have kids doesn't mean they are not dangerous to other people.

There used to be a "hot dog list" for insurance companies (here in NY) but that's been changed. Now if your dog has a history, the insurance company WILL DROP YOU or make you sign an animal waver so if it does it again it YOU who could lose everything in a lawsuit. Lawyers LOVE "pit bull" claims. I realize you said they are mix breeds but I'm not sure if that really makes much difference. I may be wrong, I've been wrong before.

I personally don't think its worth the trouble. If you do go to the shelter however, you WILL come home with one or maybe both.

Just my 2 cents.....GOOD LUCK.

Indeed.

Lost in the Great TBD crash was my stories about my next-door neighbor and his Rottweiler. Me and other neighbors contracted a lawyer, because he left it out day and night, growling, flashing teeth and threatening us and any passer-by.

Handing him documents from the AKC and Rottie clubs fell on his 26-year-old macho ears - such organizations stating that that breed (and I am sure same for Pit Bulls, Akitas, Chows, and the like, mixed or not - that you never leave them unattended in a yard, you must construct a covered kennel so there is no possibility of escape, you muzzle them and walk them on a stout, 4 foot leash and so on...)

He would wax poetic about his love of the breed - how he knew that his little doggie - "It's a good doggie" was his phrase - would never harm a soul - and what a knowledgable owner he was.

Before our lawyer sent letters to the owner and his insurance company, his other next-door neighbor related his observation - dear doggie pinned his 2 year-old son on the ground in his 4-foot fenced back yard. It resented the attention paid to that infant.

Never saw the dog again. But macho-boy sure was willing to put others at risk. And when something happens, you hear the familiar refrain "I had no idea it could do so much damage!"

Right. He was yet another "tough guy with a manly dog".

People occasionally pop off and do horrible physical harm. These dogs have been genetically modified through centuries to do just that. The best upbringing in the world can't insure that an animal's instincts will never take over.

I recall hearing years ago, "Every dog is allowed one bite". The bites of a lab, a collie, a beagle, a mutt. They hurt. The bite of these and other like breeds, their mixes, crush bone, tear flesh and muscle, permanently disfigure, and kill.

I guess the only bright side - if you could possibly call it that - is that something like 90% or more of these horrible attacks occur to the owners and their family members.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

did a volunteer thing at the spca and one of the things we did was spend time with the dogs. saw this one beautiful pit bull so i walked her and then took her into one of the dog rooms just to hang out with her for a bit. what an awesome and gentle dog she was, but there in the back of my mind I could not get the "image" of the "evil pit bull" out. I felt so bad that i was thinking that. the dog was truly amazing...had i had the space and time to devote to a dog, i would have walked out with her....

I've recently moved and since I now have a very large, fenced yard, I'd like to get a dog again. I'm comitted to getting a rescue dog and I've been hearing a lot a great things about Pit Bulls. I'd like some opinions from any who have had experience with them.

I have seen some pits that were the nicest friendliest dogs you would ever see.....

And I STILL wouldn't let my young kids out of my site with them around.

Those dogs are bred for fighting for a reason. And the fact that it is a rescue dog is even more concerning due to the fact that it might not have had the most loving situation at home.

I love dogs.....cats two for that matter and I brought home a rescued cat and it is is also a great pet. I am a lover of big dogs two my favorits are german shepards and akitas.

Do you have kids in the home?

Honestly, I'd skip the pit for the simple fact that explaining how harmless he is would get really, really old. Every time you've got company, you'll need to put him away somewhere. No matter how many times you tell most people it's safe, they'll probably never really relax around it, which will keep the dog on edge.

There are other annoyances as well. Your insurance will go up or you'll simply have trouble staying insured. GA still has those lists of dangerous dogs, I'm not sure about NY.

Just, quite honestly, not worth the trouble. Seems to me that there are just too many hassles surrounding a pit.

I still vote Husky, with the Basset being a close second! :thumbsup:

Honestly, I'd skip the pit for the simple fact that explaining how harmless he is would get really, really old. Every time you've got company, you'll need to put him away somewhere. No matter how many times you tell most people it's safe, they'll probably never really relax around it, which will keep the dog on edge.

There are other annoyances as well. Your insurance will go up or you'll simply have trouble staying insured. GA still has those lists of dangerous dogs, I'm not sure about NY.

Just, quite honestly, not worth the trouble. Seems to me that there are just too many hassles surrounding a pit.

I still vote Husky, with the Basset being a close second! :thumbsup:

My younger sister & husband had a Bassett. It howled continuously, and believe it or not tried to hump any living creature within its' sight. :D

They gave it away to a good home and got a beagle. Beagles have an issue or two, but there is no denying that they are hilarious clowns. This particular one was very well-trained by my brother-in-law, and was a remarkable rabbit dog.

I still vote Husky,

As an animal lover, I'm very concerned about having an animal in an unsuitable environment for its breed. I appreciate the suggestion, but I don't feel that Huskies belong in the Texas heat.

As an animal lover, I'm very concerned about having an animal in an unsuitable environment for its breed. I appreciate the suggestion, but I don't feel that Huskies belong in the Texas heat.

Yeah, if you're looking to keep the dog outside most of the time, a Husky in Texas is not a good idea. The double coat will help keep it cool, but not cool enough to live outside. You would have to ensure you have a nice shady spot and some shelter so it didn't overheat.

I'm in GA. Mine stays indoors for the most part during the day. I take her for a good long walk after the sun goes down and it gets cooler.

A basset or a beagle might be a good choice?

I may have missed this... but what exactly are you looking for? Good with kids? A one-person-dog? Friendly all around? A guard dog? Do you have a badger hunting addiction and you're looking for a partner?

I have a boxer puppy, this will be my third one.

I live by a big off-leash area and I see Pitbulls all the time. They play with all the other dogs. They are great dogs, I find alot of them to be very submissive.

In fact, I have never seen an aggressive Pitbull. My cousin had one named Razor, the sweetest little guy you could ever meet.

I have seen far more aggressive Border Collies, Huskies, Poodles and cross breeds at the dog park. My last boxer who passed away was bitten by a Collie on the butt as my dog was walking away. My boxer just ran off and tried to get away from that dog.

I think Pitbulls are very trainable and there is one that is at the park every night that catches frisbee and is one of my favourite dogs at the park. I have never encountered a single problem with a Pitbull.

Yeah, if you're looking to keep the dog outside most of the time, a Husky in Texas is not a good idea. The double coat will help keep it cool, but not cool enough to live outside. You would have to ensure you have a nice shady spot and some shelter so it didn't overheat.

I'm in GA. Mine stays indoors for the most part during the day. I take her for a good long walk after the sun goes down and it gets cooler.

A basset or a beagle might be a good choice?

Huskies are great dogs. Jovial and as friendly and eager as they come. There's one across the street from me. When it was a pup, it slipped out, and I walked him back home lured by a slice of baloney. He's gotten out a few times since - and sits on my porch waiting for more baloney. :thumbsup:

He and some of the local stray cats are great friends - the gate is a framed wire mesh thing, and I've see him and his cat buddies huddled together sleeping.

I also recommend Border Collies. Smart as can be, great with kids.

From my experiences with the following dogs (either owning, or having friends who owned one)

Border collies are great dogs...but, beware: There is a good chance one will attempt to "herd" you. :thumbsup:

Beagles are beautiful, as are Golden Retrievers. Neither are among the smarter breeds, though. Beagles, like Cockers can howl all night. Goldens are usually fun, energetic and happy, but they tend to knock stuff over as they romp around the house.

I love Bassett Hounds, and bassett mixes. Great dogs, IMO.

Boxers really are nice dogs, too.

Huskies are among my favorite dogs, but I agree that Texas probably isn't the place for one...especially if it is going to be outside a lot.

Best dog I ever owned was an older Shepard mutt. Nicest, sweetest and most well behaved dog I ever was around.

Best dog I ever owned was an older Shepard mutt. Nicest, sweetest and most well behaved dog I ever was around.

Same here. He was very much the neighborhood dog. He was a Shepherd/Husky mix. A big monster dog. Nicest thing, too. Still the best dog I've had. He used to love burying himself in the Buffalo snow. Though, the husky I have now is pretty close... she listens very well and has that "soft mouth" that most retrievers have.

Since I don't have young children around..I'm looking for a dog that is not emotionally high maintenance, one that is affectionate but independent...one that will not go crazy when I'm gone for a few days and can enjoy the outside equally. I don't want to keep a dog cooped up in a crate while I'm at work and would prefer to let them run in the backyard and chase the bloody squirrels away.

Additionally, I'd like a female. I seem to work better with them. I had enough experience dealing with alpha males during my marriage. :thumbsup: Some will flame me for this, but I can be too easily dominated and have trouble training males.

Additionally, I'd like a female. I seem to work better with them. I had enough experience dealing with alpha males during my marriage. :thumbsup: Some will flame me for this, but I can be too easily dominated and have trouble training males.

I've had better luck with female dogs as well to tell you the truth. Both of mine are girls.

Don't rule out the crate, though. It's not a bad thing. Almost all vets and rescue groups will actually recommend it. I wouldn't be surprised if some rescues actually require that you have a crate for when you're not home. My dogs are both crate trained. It's akin to a dog house, really.

My wife is home all day, so they're out most of the time. Instead of leaving them home alone to get into trouble, we simply tell them to 'go home' and they happily bound off to the two crates we've setup for them. That's also where they go to hide bones and whatnot.

This seems to cover it pretty well. Though note that I've heard different opinions on feeding your dog in a crate.

Based on what you've said... a Basset, perhaps a Chow... Dalmatian might be good, too? Plus, they have spots. Spots are cool. Well, measles aren't cool, but spots on dogs are. The chow and the Dalmatian would have a bit of a protective instinct as well, which might be good if you live alone. The Basset would make a lot of noise, but probably wouldn't hurt a fly.

Im not going to add to the pit bull/breed discussion other than to say the 2 ive owned rank as the top 2 friendliest, loving, loyal dogs out of all the different breeds my family have had.

Crating, on the other hand, is not a bad thing. As long as you arent leaving the dog in the crate for more than 6-8 hours at a time, it is actually better for most dogs. Puppies tend to hate their crate in the beginning, but by 1 year old, it becomes "their space" and the dogs will often sleep/stay in it on their own when the door is left open. It gives them their little piece of territory. It should NEVER be used as a form of punishment.

What this all comes down to (pitbulls, vicious dogs, crating, etc) is not the dog, but rather how responsible the owner is. Or is willing to be. Dogs are a lot of work (no duh), and the stronger the personality, the more work they need.

If the OP wants a dog that can be independent and be left outside on its own for a few days on end, I would recommend AGAINST a pit bull. Not because of any fault with the dog. It just will not be the right environment for such a strong personality dog. You might want to look at Labs or Hounds maybe?

edit: ill second jeff's dalmation idea, but i dont know enough about them to say it would be ok on its own.

Im not going to add to the pit bull/breed discussion other than to say the 2 ive owned rank as the top 2 friendliest, loving, loyal dogs out of all the different breeds my family have had.

Crating, on the other hand, is not a bad thing. As long as you arent leaving the dog in the crate for more than 6-8 hours at a time, it is actually better for most dogs. Puppies tend to hate their crate in the beginning, but by 1 year old, it becomes "their space" and the dogs will often sleep/stay in it on their own when the door is left open. It gives them their little piece of territory. It should NEVER be used as a form of punishment.

What this all comes down to (pitbulls, vicious dogs, crating, etc) is not the dog, but rather how responsible the owner is. Or is willing to be. Dogs are a lot of work (no duh), and the stronger the personality, the more work they need.

If the OP wants a dog that can be independent and be left outside on its own for a few days on end, I would recommend AGAINST a pit bull. Not because of any fault with the dog. It just will not be the right environment for such a strong personality dog. You might want to look at Labs or Hounds maybe?

edit: ill second jeff's dalmation idea, but i dont know enough about them to say it would be ok on its own.

Dalmatians are usually pretty independent and they do have a protective streak. Pits may be great dogs, but I personally wouldn't want to deal with the crap that surrounds them.... uneasy friends, insurance issues, and so on.