Need opinions about Pit Bulls

aussiew

Read post #9 by The Dean.......The English Staffy is different to the American Staffy(or pitbull).

I think they are closely related breeds (Staffordshire Bull Terrier and American Pit Bull Terrier), so closely related that in the UK, they are not distinguished as separate breeds (at least that's what I get from the sites I have visited). Most people would call both Pit Bulls.

I think the biggest difference is, in the USA (and some other countries) these dogs have been trained (by some) for many years to be aggressive, while in other countries they have not. The temperament of the dog is likely to be far less dependent on if it is a American Pit Bull or a Staffordshire Bull Terrier, and more likely dependent on whether its ancestors have been trained to be agressive. That is probably more likely to happen in the USA than in the UK...just a guess, of course.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Read my link, which San Fransisco law defines Pitbulls as BOTH breeds. While they are considered separate breeds, they are BOTH pitbulls.

OK then....SF considers them BOTH pitbulls......the rest of the world doesn't B-)

OK then....SF considers them BOTH pitbulls......the rest of the world doesn't B-)

http://www.paw-rescue.org/petbulls.html#s27

What's a Pit Bull?

Breeds commonly referred to as "pit bulls" include American Pit Bull Terriers (APBT), American Staffordshire Terriers (AST), Staffordshire Bull Terriers and mixes that include one of these breeds.

...and then there is this:

http://hubpages.com/hub/Pit_Bull_Whats_In_A_Name

The term "Pit Bull" correctly refers to the American Pit Bull Terrier (APBT) breed of dogs. This pure-breed is recognized by the United Kennel Club (UKC) and the American Dog Breeders Association (ADBA). The American Kennel Club (AKC) recognizes a breed known as the American Staffordshire Terrier (AmStaff). Both the UKC and ADBA recognize the AmStaff as an American Pit Bull Terrier.

The media, legislators, and others use the term "Pit Bull" incorrectly to describe a wide group of dogs which include several distinct breeds and types. Included in this group are American Pit Bull Terriers, American Staffordshire Terriers, and Staffordshire Bull Terriers. Often, Bull Terriers, American Bulldogs, and countless mixed-breed dogs with characteristics similar to any one of these breeds are included under this mis-named group. As a result, many people are confused about what a "Pit Bull" actually is, since the popular public definition is so wide and the breeds above actually share similar bloodline history and physical characteristics.

This broad and incorrect use of the term "Pit Bull" is a fairly recent development, and seemingly the roots of the redefinition lie with the misinformed media. Along with the myriad myths propagated by careless reporting came misapplication of the nickname "Pit Bull". The American Pit Bull Terrier is the only breed with the words "pit" and "bull" actually in its name, and the only one of the above breeds/types that is most commonly, correctly, and historically, called a "Pit Bull".

EDIT: The point being, when people refer to Pit Bulls (or when you get a rescue dog that is a "Pit Bull"}, it might be any one of these dogs. If you have a registered American Pit Bull Terrier, then it is considered a different breed than the others.

I stick by the policy of saving a dog you like and think you can bond will with.

I think they are closely related breeds (Staffordshire Bull Terrier and American Pit Bull Terrier), so closely related that in the UK, they are not distinguished as separate breeds (at least that's what I get from the sites I have visited). Most people would call both Pit Bulls.

I think the biggest difference is, in the USA (and some other countries) these dogs have been trained (by some) for many years to be aggressive, while in other countries they have not. The temperament of the dog is likely to be far less dependent on if it is a American Pit Bull or a Staffordshire Bull Terrier, and more likely dependent on whether its ancestors have been trained to be agressive. That is probably more likely to happen in the USA than in the UK...just a guess, of course.

Your first link(wiki) spelled it out......the UK has bred the Staffy breed which now is considered a unique dog breed. This is not to say that some American Staffys(pitbulls) are not similar in looks/temperament, but that the UK Staffy now has a pedigree which can be traced back.

Over here(Australia), the Staffy(UK) is considered a great dog. Like all 'breeds' there is a general uniformity of size, temperament etc. The Pit Bull(US Staffy) has a bad name over here due to there being no proper lineage leading to the random aggressive results.

Your first link(wiki) spelled it out......the UK has bred the Staffy breed which now is considered a unique dog breed. This is not to say that some American Staffys(pitbulls) are not similar in looks/temperament, but that the UK Staffy now has a pedigree which can be traced back.

Over here(Australia), the Staffy(UK) is considered a great dog. Like all 'breeds' there is a general uniformity of size, temperament etc. The Pit Bull(US Staffy) has a bad name over here due to there being no proper lineage leading to the random aggressive results.

Again, incorrect. Pitbulls were named such because they were bred for bull baiting, which the first wiki link that The Dean linked said.

How bout some more links, since you don't believe me?

http://www.forpeteyssake.com/

But hey, let's ask the end all, be all, shall we? The American Freakin' Kennel Club.

From: http://www.thefreelibrary.com/ABANDONED+AN...OUND-a083607466

According to the American Kennel Club the term ``pit bull'' has become a catch-all reference to several breeds of dogs, including the American pit bull terrier, the American Staffordshire terrier, and the English bull terrier.

http://www.paw-rescue.org/petbulls.html#s27

...and then there is this:

http://hubpages.com/hub/Pit_Bull_Whats_In_A_Name

EDIT: The point being, when people refer to Pit Bulls (or when you get a rescue dog that is a "Pit Bull"}, it might be any one of these dogs. If you have a registered American Pit Bull Terrier, then it is considered a different breed than the others.

I stick by the policy of saving a dog you like and think you can bond will with.

Yep.....looks like you guys are correct.

I should have twigged that definitions would vary......what with there being an American Staffy & all. Even over here it is guesswork unless you get the proper pedigree papers with your dog.

I agree with the saving a dog you like bit.....though I'd still veer away from those breeds(or crossbreeds) that have the potential genetic disposition to be aggressive. i.e. those trained to fight in the past(yes that includes Staffys).

I've recently moved and since I now have a very large, fenced yard, I'd like to get a dog again. I'm comitted to getting a rescue dog and I've been hearing a lot a great things about Pit Bulls. I'd like some opinions from any who have had experience with them.

Check your Home Owners Insurance. Many insurers will either drop you or give you a significant rate hike if you have a Pit Bull or any other breed considered to be agressive.

It's great you're considering a Rescue Dog but you need to try to limit your choice to a breed that's considered to be non- agressive.

Again, incorrect. Pitbulls were named such because they were bred for bull baiting, which the first wiki link that The Dean linked said.

How bout some more links, since you don't believe me?

http://www.forpeteyssake.com/

But hey, let's ask the end all, be all, shall we? The American Freakin' Kennel Club.

From: http://www.thefreelibrary.com/ABANDONED+AN...OUND-a083607466

As I said to the Dean.....looks like you guys are correct.

My excuse is that I'm from Australia & over here there is virtually no American Staffy(known here as the Pit Bull).

Sorry about the muck around......though it did help us learn more about the breed B-)

As I said to the Dean.....looks like you guys are correct.

My excuse is that I'm from Australia & over here there is virtually no American Staffy(known here as the Pit Bull).

Sorry about the muck around......though it did help us learn more about the breed B-)

Naw, it's all good, theres a sh-- ton of confusion about it. I'm a bit of a snob, as I read a stuck up Pet forum (Pet Island on SA), which is why I defended it so vigorously, lol.

See my post above.

I tend to believe that much of the anti Pit Bull mania, is based in confusion. Attacks by Pit Bulls (which may, or may not, be American Pit Bull Terriers...or even any kind of related dog) are now put into a "special category" by some authorities. This categorization, leads to increased reporting about these kinds of attacks (again based on shaky reporting of the facts). Added to that is, when any of these dogs (and other dogs that may be erroneously labeled a "Pit Bull") attacks, the results can be quite devastating. So, some of the media has really latched onto reporting on Pit Bull attacks. One things are put into a separate category, and the focus is put on that category, more reports are made...more media stories are created...etc. ["Crime waves" are often (if not usually) an increase in the reporting of a particular crime, and not an increase of the occurrence of the crime, itself.]

So, the idea that Pit Bulls are more likely to attack is really a creation of the system, and not an accurate reflection of what happens in "reality", IMO. But, of course if any of these breeds decides to attack, the result can be devastating...so I'd be careful about that.

I completely agree with what The Dean said. They were trying to pass a BSD a few years back here in Texas, and found that they had to throw out all data based upon attack reporting,b ecause people tended to always claim it was a pit bull attack, and never claim any other type of dog attacked (even though it was completely unrealistic).

Also, the American Temperment Study found that Pit bulls, on average, have a better temperament than Golden Retrievers.

The problem is, like any dog, one sthat have been badly socialized will have a hard time with humans. In addition, they are extremely powerful dogs, so they can do some damage.

Co-worker has two. Some of the nicest dogs I've ever met and are great with his kids. He definitely needs to "introduce" you to them so they know wou aren't a threat to his family. However, as great as they are with people and each other, they do not care for other dogs. I would say this is true of most the pit bulls I have known. No matter how good they are with people, they tend to be agressive towards other animals they were not raised with.

Personally, I think you have to look at the type of people who own pitbulls. Yes, there are responsible ones, but every thug wannabe, trailer park chucklehead thinks they need one to show how "core" they are. These people can't manage their own lives let alone train a dog that needs a lot of attention. So a lot of the blame falls on the ownership group.

Diane, you met Tyler on your last trip through here. She is part pit bull, she was a rescue dog as well. The vet said she seemed agressive, but with our older dog training her and using the crate training we ended up with the best dog we have ever had (over 7 dogs so far). She is protective of the family and house, but I have never seen her do more than show her teeth and bark. She is great with kids and wants to be part of the family.

WOW - WOW - WOW. Thanks for the education to all. I was hoping to hear from someone who may be personally involved.

I'm getting ready to "meet" two dogs, both females, one is a called a pit/bull/boxer cross and the other is called a Pit Bull Terrier burebred. Neither has their ears clipped.

Both dogs are approx. 2 years old and were raised in families with other dogs and children and for some strange reason, both were abandoned when the owners moved. One was left with two puppies and roamed the neighborhood for a few weeks with her pups looking for food before someone picked her up and took her to the pound. They were "rescued" from the pound and have been fully evaluated for behavour by the rescue group. The rescue group believes that since there are no scars on either dog; the ears are still natural, and they show no signs of agression toward other dogs, that they were always family pets.

At this time, both dogs are in different foster homes. I have talked to both foster moms and the dogs continue to prove themselves as very gentle and friendly.

Since I don't have young children around..I'm looking for a dog that is not emotionally high maintenance, one that is affectionate but independent...one that will not go crazy when I'm gone for a few days and can enjoy the outside equally. I don't want to keep a dog cooped up in a crate while I'm at work and would prefer to let them run in the backyard and chase the bloody squirrels away.

Is there anyone out there who actually has a Pit?

Well, you people have once again taken a TBDers simple request..."would you recommend a rescue pit bull?" and turned it into a pissing contest (albeit a very civil pissing contest) about wiki links, the American Kennel Club, the All England Kennel Club, San Francisco ordinances, Australia vs. Texas and the Molosser family. B-);)

AW--if you're dead set on a rescue dog...no pit bulls. (IMO)

Well, you people have once again taken a TBDers simple request..."would you recommend a rescue pit bull?" and turned it into a pissing contest (albeit a very civil pissing contest) about wiki links

Well, ya' gotta' admit...it was entertaining.

GUFF: Sorry, but I didn't remember your dogs. I must have been focused on seeing the beach, the party and the Bills game.

GUFF: Sorry, but I didn't remember your dogs. I must have been focused on seeing the beach, the party and the Bills game.

...and with that one sentence, AW dashes the hopes of several male Bills fans she met on that trip.

I tend to agree with the folks who said they may be fine, but why risk it? Also, most people are scared of pits, and I must admit I am always a little more aware of both them and my actions when aroud them.

That being said, my current dog is a rescue mutt. I am guessing 75% lab, 25% something else, which certainly includes some pit based on his markings etc. Nicest dog in the world, but to others he looks like just like a regular ole lab mutt

I'll start by saying I love dogs.

I would NEVER get a "pit bull" or "rotweiller"...I'm sorry. We've had 2 "Pit Bulls" here in Jamestown just in the last month that attacked people. One for knocking on the door (went thru the storm door window) while another kid was walking in front of the house and was attacked when one got out. NEITHER of the two have ever shown signs of aggression. These type of dogs "just snap." Just because you don't have kids doesn't mean they are not dangerous to other people.

There used to be a "hot dog list" for insurance companies (here in NY) but that's been changed. Now if your dog has a history, the insurance company WILL DROP YOU or make you sign an animal waver so if it does it again it YOU who could lose everything in a lawsuit. Lawyers LOVE "pit bull" claims. I realize you said they are mix breeds but I'm not sure if that really makes much difference. I may be wrong, I've been wrong before.

I personally don't think its worth the trouble. If you do go to the shelter however, you WILL come home with one or maybe both.

Just my 2 cents.....GOOD LUCK.