Need opinions about Pit Bulls

aussiew

I've recently moved and since I now have a very large, fenced yard, I'd like to get a dog again. I'm comitted to getting a rescue dog and I've been hearing a lot a great things about Pit Bulls. I'd like some opinions from any who have had experience with them.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've recently moved and since I now have a very large, fenced yard, I'd like to get a dog again. I'm comitted to getting a rescue dog and I've been hearing a lot a great things about Pit Bulls. I'd like some opinions from any who have had experience with them.

Can't help you on pits. It'd be weary of a rescue pit as there's probably a chance that a previous owner may have been planning on using it as a fighting dog. I'd love to hear some objective info as well. I've heard that they can be very good dogs if brought up right. All I hear about here in Atlanta are Vick and his dogs.

Both of my dogs are rescue girls. I've a Basset and a Siberian Husky. Both are great animals, though they're on opposite ends of the energy spectrum. If you'd consider a Basset, I know there's a great rescue up that way. I believe it's called ABC. I've met a couple of the guys that run it.

My rescue dogs:

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=5757...mp;id=569239125

The Siberian is a great dog, but she need a lot of exercise. She runs about four miles a night with me. Very smart and somewhat mischievous. I think there's a Husky rescue up there too... Husky Savers or Husky Helpers or something like that.

No matter what anyone tells you about pit bulls remember one thing there are some that are just too damn aggressive. A lot of people will tell you it's all environment and how they're raised and that's true for the vast majority, but within the breed there are some that just have that nasty streak and you never know what is going to trigger it and when.

So to my way of thinking why risk it? Get a breed that doesn't have the baggage.

We have a pit bull/rhodesian ridgeback mix, here's her pic:

https://webspace.utexas.edu/cmw479/IMG_1329.JPG

She's a great dog. We literally just found her running around my gf's work a couple years ago as a stray, and brought her home. Has separation anxiety issues, but otherwise is smart and extremely loving.

The dog trainer we are friends with has a full on pit, and he's the nicest, most gentle dog you could ever meet. They are awesome, as long as you socialize them correctly from the time they are very young.

I have been around a lot of terrific Pit Bulls. If I were to get a rescue dog, I would probably care more about how I felt about the individual dog, than about the breed, in general. IMO, a mixed-breed is probably a good bet, as you can avoid some of the pure-breed issues.

But, if you are set on identifying a breed, you may want to find a different breed, unless you have some experience with dogs. I'm not saying this because Pit Bills are bad, they aren't. But, they are very strong, and can be ferocious, so if you get a dog with issues, a Pit Bull may be more trouble for you than another kind of dog. Does that make sense?

I don't want to piss off any pit bull lovers here but......they have been bred over the years to be aggressive. I would steer well clear of the breed, especially if there is any chance the dog could come in contact with children. Add to that what others have said about 'rescue dogs' having the potential of bad previous owners & it's a risk I wouldn't be going anywhere near.

My recommendation is the Staffordshire Bull Terrier. Tough looking dog.....no fear of it getting 'picked on' by other dogs.....but absolutely loves people & has that 'happy' attitude all of the time. May be a bit strong for kids/old people though.

I don't want to piss off any pit bull lovers here but......they have been bred over the years to be aggressive. I would steer well clear of the breed, especially if there is any chance the dog could come in contact with children. Add to that what others have said about 'rescue dogs' having the potential of bad previous owners & it's a risk I wouldn't be going anywhere near.

My recommendation is the Staffordshire Bull Terrier. Tough looking dog.....no fear of it getting 'picked on' by other dogs.....but absolutely loves people & has that 'happy' attitude all of the time. May be a big strong for kids/old people though.

Uhhhhhhhhhh... Staffy's are Pit Bulls. B-)

From the font of all knowledge, Wikipedia:

The Staffordshire Bull Terrier (informally: Staffie or Staffy) is a medium-sized, short-coated, old-time breed of dog, originally bred for bull baiting[1]. In the early part of the twentieth century they gained respectability and were accepted into the The Kennel Club of the United Kingdom as the Staffordshire Bull Terrier. It is an English breed of dog related to the Bull Terrier, or its larger cousins the American Staffordshire Terrier or the American Pit Bull Terrier, and often placed in the category of 'Pit Bull Terriers'.[2] The American Staffordshire Terrier and the American Pit Bull Terrier are considered to be the same breed in England, although they are considered separate breeds in the United States.[3]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Staffordshire_Bull_Terrier

Not unless you're in England. In the US they're considered two different breeds. I wouldn't trust it as an alternative breed, however. I also wouldn't trust an identification of the breed by anyone other than a breeder.

.....I didn't even know about the American Staffy. The English Staffy is the one I'm referring to. Out here, over the last decade, it has become the dog of choice being in the top 5 sellers.

Beautiful dog.....beautiful temperament.

Not unless you're in England. In the US they're considered two different breeds. I wouldn't trust it as an alternative breed, however. I also wouldn't trust an identification of the breed by anyone other than a breeder.

Incorrect. There is no breed that is a "Pit Bull", there are a bunch lumped together under that title. Check out the wikipedia link above, or the San Fransisco ordinance law here:

http://www.sfgov.org/site/acc_index.asp?id=68054

.....I didn't even know about the American Staffy. The English Staffy is the one I'm referring to. Out here, over the last decade, it has become the dog of choice being in the top 5 sellers.

Beautiful dog.....beautiful temperament.

Yes, I know, Staffy's (the English breed) are Pitbulls, just like the American ones.

Incorrect. There is no breed that is a "Pit Bull", there are a bunch lumped together under that title. Check out the wikipedia link above, or the San Fransisco ordinance law here:

http://www.sfgov.org/site/acc_index.asp?id=68054

From the article:

The American Staffordshire Terrier and the American Pit Bull Terrier are considered to be the same breed in England, although they are considered separate breeds in the United States.

Isn't that EXACTLY what I said?

Yes, I know, Staffy's (the English breed) are Pitbulls, just like the American ones.

Read post #9 by The Dean.......The English Staffy is different to the American Staffy(or pitbull).

From the article:

The American Staffordshire Terrier and the American Pit Bull Terrier are considered to be the same breed in England, although they are considered separate breeds in the United States.

Isn't that EXACTLY what I said?

Read post #9 by The Dean.......The English Staffy is different to the American Staffy(or pitbull).

Read my link, which San Fransisco law defines Pitbulls as BOTH breeds. While they are considered separate breeds, they are BOTH pitbulls.

Read: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pit_Bull

Pit Bull is a term commonly used to describe several breeds of dog in the Molosser family that were historically used for dog fighting. The breeds most often placed in this category are the American Pit Bull Terrier, American Staffordshire Terrier and Staffordshire Bull Terrier.

In the media the term is vague and may include other breeds with similar physical characteristics, such as the Perro de Presa Canario, Cane Corso, Dogo Argentino, Alano Espanol, Japanese Tosa, Dogue de Bordeaux, Cordoba Fighting Dog, Bull Terrier, Antebellum Bulldog, Alapaha Blue Blood Bulldog, American Bulldog, Boxer, Valley Bulldog, Olde English Bulldogge, Renascence Bulldogge, and Banter Bulldogge. These breeds are rarely listed by name in breed-specific legislation, but they are sometimes included when the term is defined broadly and based on physical appearance.[1]