Tony Gonzalez didn't want to play in Buffalo

JuanGuzman

FROM KENT BAAB OF THE KANSAS CITY STAR…When it didn’t happen, it left a team trying to move forward after its best player wanted out and a coach whose biggest responsibility now might be holding the team together during an increasingly complicated season. It appears to be wearing on Edwards. He was uncharacteristically short with reporters Tuesday and bristled when asked what Gonzalez’s trade request says about Edwards, team president/general manager Carl Peterson and the organization. “It doesn’t say anything about me,” Edwards said. “It doesn’t say one thing about me. It has nothing to do with me. You need to ask the player that. That’s not for me to answer. I’m not going to answer for a football player. I don’t have to do that. I answer for the decisions that I make, what comes out of my mouth. You’re asking the wrong guy. You need to ask him. “I have enough problems.” The Chiefs’ 1-4 record already gave Edwards plenty of headaches even without the Gonzalez factor. The coach spent the weekend in his office at the team’s practice facility, reliving Kansas City’s first five games on film and waiting to see if another team would bite on a trade. “That’s what young guys are going to have to learn about professional football,” Edwards said. “There’s always going to be some distractions every week, some bigger than others, and you can’t bring it to work. You’ve got to stay focused on your job. “Hopefully these guys can understand the importance of not letting distractions really cloud what we have to do.”

The bottom line here is that Tony Gonzalez only wanted to play in New York and for the Giants. The Buffalo Bills wanted to pursue him, but he was not interested in finishing his career in another small market city. And the hard thing for Gonzalez, as it has been for most of the veteran players on the Chiefs, is they are not buying what Herm Edwards is selling. They are not hearing and responding to the “lets build something together”–That campaign might work for Lowes Building Supplies, but it is not going over in the Chiefs locker room. And it is no wonder that the head coach is a little testy. He coaches a bad team, he has no quarterback and his prospects of winning are not very good anytime soon. And when the ultimate salesman cannot sell anyone any longer, then things tend to get a little testy.

Lombardi blog

As a former GM this guy seems to have a lot of sources and he turns out to be right an awful lot of time. That being said he offers no evidence and the reader has to assume its based on more than just random speculation (which it could be).

Lombardi blog

As a former GM this guy seems to have a lot of sources and he turns out to be right an awful lot of time. That being said he offers no evidence and the reader has to assume its based on more than just random speculation (which it could be).

I personally don't care anymore about TG, he can F-himself in red.

i said that from the start of the process - this was about tony going to the giants and he is the one driving this process.......which is why it's silly that peterson is getting raked over the coals today.........his hands were basically tied and the giants knew it........tony telling stories in the press doesn't change that

Just to parse words...he said he didn't want to play anywhere but New York, not that he didn't want to play in Buffalo.

But either way, when the alternative is kansas City, is Buffalo that bad?

According to Lombardi, Gonzalez didn't want to play for another small market team. That means he didn't want to play for Buffalo.

So obviously he was looking to get on the Giants and how to Ray Bourque himself to a title instead of be willing to help a younger up and comming team get to the playoffs.......... fact is he wanted a free ride, he didnt want to work for it.

So obviously he was looking to get on the Giants and how to Ray Bourque himself to a title instead of be willing to help a younger up and comming team get to the playoffs.......... fact is he wanted a free ride, he didnt want to work for it.

Still I'm surprised; if he wanted to play in the playoffs I would not of said no to Buffalo just on the basis of its small market, I think looking at the AFC and our schedule - - the Bills will be playing wildcard weekend and maybe beyond.

Well, I don't have any sympathy for him. He wanted out of KC to play for a team with a shot--Buffalo is in the mix, KC is not.

Enough said. This issue is past history. TG is not coming to Buffalo. Too bad for him and too bad for the Bills. I am not going to look at another thread on this topic because it is a dead deal. Who cares?

Just to parse words...he said he didn't want to play anywhere but New York, not that he didn't want to play in Buffalo.

Wow.

Even tho he hasn't said it directly, does anybody doubt he wants to play with a SB contender? Good grief, put some thought into your posts people!!!

Here is a crazy idea, Tony:

considering that KC, even when they were good a couple of years ago weren't going to the Super Bowl any time soon, coupled with the fact that KC is a small market that you didn't want to play in...why didn't you just get to the end of your contract and go to the place and the team you really wanted to go to instead of re-upping 2007?

...oh, wait, yeah, that's right, the money.

Should have told TG the Bills are moving to Toronto. Is that snazzy enough for him?

PTR