Local news report on Trent said

Who's referring to the NHL, c'mon man grow up...

Oh shut up. I don't have to. You're not the boss of me.

Don't know where you get that PG was referring to the NHL rule thing from that link tho, since it's not mentioned at all, nor is any other rule or guideline. PG simply states the medical 'treatment' for a concussion - which is, apparently, to be completely healed. (Then he rambles for a while longer. :doh: )

Wow. Now that just about takes the cake. If there was any doubt, it has all been erased... JP can do nothing right in some people's eye.

Now, he's accused of thinking to hard. Others accuse him of not thinking enough. He's called out for high fives on the sideline. He's accused of looking to calm on the sideline. And the list could go on. I guess I just don't understand all the dislike for a guy that has never said a negative word about the City or the team and has always done all he could to help the team win. I just don't get it. He's not the right guy for this team. No one is arguing that anymore. But why hate on everything and anything he does? Pretty sad, in many ways.

He does not looked poised nor confident when he is playing. I didn't say anything horrible about him. He is probably a super nice guy. He reached out to the community and is not a trouble maker. That is great, but that doesn't win you football games. Watching him play football is aggravating.

Did you say it or just type it?

I typed it. I'm afraid to say it, because if you say it 3 times while looking in a mirror Tim Connoly appears, whacks you in the head with a hockey stick, and gives you a concussion

as a side note, I remember seeing him way back when he was playing for the Erie Otters of the OHL :doh:

He does not looked poised nor confident when he is playing. I didn't say anything horrible about him. He is probably a super nice guy. He reached out to the community and is not a trouble maker. That is great, but that doesn't win you football games. Watching him play football is aggravating.

:doh:

Article on front page of TBD seems to suggest Edwards isn't showing outward signs of concussion. Hopefully he's just getting, in effect, a week off and will be back practicing next week.

I'm not worried. Langston Walker said his hair is perfect. :lol:

I typed it. I'm afraid to say it, because if you say it 3 times while looking in a mirror Tim Connoly appears, whacks you in the head with a hockey stick, and gives you a concussion

as a side note, I remember seeing him way back when he was playing for the Erie Otters of the OHL :devil:

Well I can tell that you have never actually done this and are just goingoff the "rumors"

The truth is, when you say it 3 times, he tries to whack you with a stick, but instead hits himself in the head and knocks himself out giving himself a concussion. It can only be done about once a year because the concussion he is recovering from that last concussion

Unfortunately none of us know how serious this is. He could play against San Diego a week and a half from now or the concussion symptoms could linger for weeks or months on end.

Look, it's the NFL not the NHL. Concussions in football rarely result in players missing extended time. That's just how it is. Jim Kelly had more than his share, I'm sure. The culture is different in the NFL. Edwards will play, or his career as a starting QB will be fairly short. There is much more pressure to not miss time with injuries in football than hockey. My guess is we see TE at the helm vs San Diego.

Look, it's the NFL not the NHL. Concussions in football rarely result in players missing extended time. That's just how it is. Jim Kelly had more than his share, I'm sure. The culture is different in the NFL. Edwards will play, or his career as a starting QB will be fairly short. There is much more pressure to not miss time with injuries in football than hockey. My guess is we see TE at the helm vs San Diego.

This is not a NFL or an NHL thing. And many people who argue that the NFL is a more violent sport. Although there is a lack of evidence, the current consensus guidelines are to restrict participation until one week after symptoms abate. Just because the NFL doesn't have a written policy doesn't mean the individual team doctors are not following the current standard of care. Sustaining an even mild blow to the head while symptoms are still present carries a significant risk of mortality, nevermind lossing one's career.

The NFL is taking concussions a lot more seriously:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/conte...07081401721.htm

This is not a NFL or an NHL thing. And many people who argue that the NFL is a more violent sport. Although there is a lack of evidence, the current consensus guidelines are to restrict participation until one week after symptoms abate. Just because the NFL doesn't have a written policy doesn't mean the individual team doctors are not following the current standard of care. Sustaining an even mild blow to the head while symptoms are still present carries a significant risk of mortality, nevermind lossing one's career.

The NFL is taking concussions a lot more seriously:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/conte...07081401721.htm

Many times players who receive concussions in the NFL are playing the very next week. I am not sure, but I believe A Haynesworth came back the very next week this year, and there are most likely others. In the NHL, due to league rules, they must be symptom free for 7 days. After a concussion there are usually symptoms of it for the next few days, so that normally keeps an NHL player out for at least 10 days. I am not saying one sport is more violent than the other or that one rule is better than the other, but there are definitely huge differences in NHL & NFL league policies. The NFL does take it seriously, but they are way more lenient.

Many times players who receive concussions in the NFL are playing the very next week. I am not sure, but I believe A Haynesworth came back the very next week this year, and there are most likely others. In the NHL, due to league rules, they must be symptom free for 7 days. After a concussion there are usually symptoms of it for the next few days, so that normally keeps an NHL player out for at least 10 days. I am not saying one sport is more violent than the other or that one rule is better than the other, but there are definitely huge differences in NHL & NFL league policies. The NFL does take it seriously, but they are way more lenient.

I would prefer to see Edwards sit out for as long as there is any doubts about his health. We have seen far too many potentially great sports careers derailed by concussions. I think NFL players used to be under more scrutiny amongst the NFL fraternity for missing time with concussions...as someone who has had two of them, concussions can become very big problems. Back in the 1970's and 80's, you heard about guys getting concussions, but you rarely heard about them missing any playing time, let alone games.

While there may be no official NFL guidelines, I think the NFL has succumbed to the PC side of caution on this matter...this is one instance where being PC is a good thing.

I would prefer to see Edwards sit out for as long as there is any doubts about his health. We have seen far too many potentially great sports careers derailed by concussions. I think NFL players used to be under more scrutiny amongst the NFL fraternity for missing time with concussions...as someone who has had two of them, concussions can become very big problems. Back in the 1970's and 80's, you heard about guys getting concussions, but you rarely heard about them missing any playing time, let alone games.

While there may be no official NFL guidelines, I think the NFL has succumbed to the PC side of caution on this matter...this is one instance where being PC is a good thing.

The official guidelines are that a player is given an MRI at the beginning of the season and if he get's a concussion he can't come back until the MRI's agree with each other. I'm pretty sure that's how it works. If not exactly like that it's pretty close.

I think two weeks is more than enough for him. At least I hope so.

The "official" guidelines have nothing to do with an MRI. All concussion management guidelines are based on symptoms. In fact, most concussions cannot even be detected by MRI. If you do have a lesion seen by MRI, you likely have been severely injured and will likely suffer permanent neurological dysfunction. Furthermore, even if a lesion is seen by MRI, it is not likely to resolve by 1 week - more likely months.

Here is a nice review article, stating the current evidence-based medicine, on the diagnosis and management of concussions:

http://www.aafp.org/afp/20010915/1007.html

The "official" guidelines have nothing to do with an MRI. All concussion management guidelines are based on symptoms. In fact, most concussions cannot even be detected by MRI. If you do have a lesion seen by MRI, you likely have been severely injured and will likely suffer permanent neurological dysfunction. Furthermore, even if a lesion is seen by MRI, it is not likely to resolve by 1 week - more likely months.

Here is a nice review article, stating the current evidence-based medicine, on the diagnosis and management of concussions:

http://www.aafp.org/afp/20010915/1007.html

My bad I believe it's an EEG.