A question about the "wildcat" offense the Dolphins use

Justice

Why doesn't anyone make the Fish pay for using that play by pummeling Chad Pennington? When CP lines up at receiver he is fair game to get hit within the first five yards of the LOS, isn't he?

It's against the rules to hit a "defenseless receiver". So if Pennington is just standing there as if he's expecting a pass, and looking away from the defender, and the play is nowhere near him, if someone unloaded on him they would get flagged for unsportsmanlike conduct.

I suggested in another thread in another forum the proper strategy would be to leave the QB uncovered and put the extra defender in the box. Dare them to throw to the QB, in which case he would be open game and the guy hitting him would have a running start.

It's against the rules to hit a "defenseless receiver". So if Pennington is just standing there as if he's expecting a pass, and looking away from the defender, and the play is nowhere near him, if someone unloaded on him they would get flagged for unsportsmanlike conduct.

I suggested in another thread in another forum the proper strategy would be to leave the QB uncovered and put the extra defender in the box. Dare them to throw to the QB, in which case he would be open game and the guy hitting him would have a running start.

they could use a bump and run defense on him and chuck him at the line.--i don't think he'd be too difficult to knock over.

they could use a bump and run defense on him and chuck him at the line.--i don't think he'd be too difficult to knock over.

I believe that once Ronnie Brown breaks the tackle box all bets are off with regards to CP. He is lined up as a receiver and as soon as the QB breaks the tackles defenders can hit wide outs as long as they don't hold them while the ball is in the air. I don't see why Pennington would be any different just because he's a QB on the depth chart.

With regards to the Wildcat (gayest formation name ever, by the way) it will only be a matter of time before it gets figured out by the rest of the league. I know that at one point the Fish were averaging less than half the yardage per play against SD than they were when they caught the Patriots* completely off guard. IMHO, you have your two OLBs spy Brown when he lines up in the backfield, and leave everyone else in a zone so they can stay turned towards the offense.

That play is nothing new. It's already been figured out. Heck, Thurman Thomas used to take a direct snap back in the day. The fact of the matter is that Ronnie Brown is making plays. HE's very elusive and he's juking guys out of their jocks. Brown is 90% of the reason that play is working for them.

The OP is correct and a couple analysts/former players have said the same thing. the quickest way to shut it down is line up a big CB or Safety against Pennington and chuck the sh-- out of him once the ball is snapped. he is fair game out there. and once the ball is snapped and run is established he is wide open for anyone to hit him since ALL QB safety rules our out the window (since he technically isnt a QB on that play).

i think it was head coach sprano who said the same thing as well.

That play is nothing new. It's already been figured out. Heck, Thurman Thomas used to take a direct snap back in the day. The fact of the matter is that Ronnie Brown is making plays. HE's very elusive and he's juking guys out of their jocks. Brown is 90% of the reason that play is working for them.

theres more to it than the direct snap. the QB split out wide, the motion and option of the other RB coming across...

theres more to it than the direct snap. the QB split out wide, the motion and option of the other RB coming across...

I haven't watched any Dolphins game this year, but that sounds pretty similar to Houston Nutt's WildReb (f/k/a WildHog when he was at Arky) offense.

I may have to watch the next Dolphin game to see. Maybe they will bring back the Wishbone and the Veer.

I haven't watched any Dolphins game this year, but that sounds pretty similar to Houston Nutt's WildReb (f/k/a WildHog when he was at Arky) offense.

I may have to watch the next Dolphin game to see. Maybe they will bring back the Wishbone and the Veer.

miamis qb coach was the offensive coordinator for arkansas last year. so there you go.

Still nothing new every high school and college team run it. these teams don't average 100 points a game. it won't be as effective in the future.

The OP is correct and a couple analysts/former players have said the same thing. the quickest way to shut it down is line up a big CB or Safety against Pennington and chuck the sh-- out of him once the ball is snapped. he is fair game out there. and once the ball is snapped and run is established he is wide open for anyone to hit him since ALL QB safety rules our out the window (since he technically isnt a QB on that play).

i think it was head coach sprano who said the same thing as well.

That's what I'm saying. Hit the ever living crap out of 'em. :D

Id be jamming Pennington for the first 5 yard hard as I could..........

...and maybe after that, once or twice. :D

That he was standing, untouched, in the endzone after Brown's TD on Sunday was shameful.

...and maybe after that, once or twice. :D

That he was standing, untouched, in the endzone after Brown's TD on Sunday was shameful.

....and I have to be inundated with how great My Yami is down here, after they win 2 games. Newspapers, television, radio, obnoxious Dolfans, non-English comprehending drivers, iguanas, spiders, cockroaches and corrupt My Yami politicians are all spewing forth. It's a veritable hurl-a-thon.

....and I have to be inundated with how great My Yami is down here, after they win 2 games. Newspapers, television, radio, obnoxious Dolfans, non-English comprehending drivers, iguanas, spiders, cockroaches and corrupt My Yami politicians are all spewing forth. It's a veritable hurl-a-thon.

Fish, go sleep with your sister, then marry her. When you have more inbred children, start your own forum with proper English language, drivers, and rodents that are more suitable to you.

Fish, go sleep with your sister, then marry her. When you have more inbred children, start your own forum with proper English language, drivers, and rodents that are more suitable to you.

Nice reply. I don't have a sister. Do you?

Ahora vuelva a su grupo de los Dolphins y aprenda algunas maneras, por favor.