Why do some people feel Dick Jauron is not a good coach?

PromoTheRobot

Even with the Bills at 3-0, Mike Schopp is still saying he thinks Jauron is a poor coach, like players somehow coach themselves to wins. All I know is what I read. Every player interview talks about playing hard for Coach Jauron. Did anyone ever speak of Greggo or Meathead this way? Not likely.

PTR

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Even with the Bills at 3-0, Mike Schopp is still saying he thinks Jauron is a poor coach, like players somehow coach themselves to wins. All I know is what I read. Every player interview talks about playing hard for Coach Jauron. Did anyone ever speak of Greggo or Meathead this way? Not likely.

PTR

People like to quantify coaching ability. While records and stats are telling to a certain extent, the fans that use numbers as a litmus test for coaching 'ability' are completely overlooking IMMENSELY important factors which shape a coach's efficacy.

Does this team's unprecedented team chemistry reflect Jauron's coaching ability? YES! Is it important that every player on the team has a ton of respect for the man and play their hearts out for him? YES! Are these factors negated by his sub-500 record career record (btw if Buffalo wins Sunday, his record with the bills is even at 500)? Not entirely, but some folks (idiots) will argue that intangibles mean NOTHING, that the only thing that's important is wins and losses.

Nevermind the fact that his probably the most talented team he's had the privelage to coach. The intangibles certainly DO count for something, but at the end of the day, the players play the games.

It's simple and complicated, PTR. Jauron had one season of success in Chicago that some call a "fluke" -- arguable in the sense that there was a ridiculous stretch of games in which the ball seemed to bounce in the Bears' favor -- but otherwise his teams have had losing records.

Those who continue to criticize DJ have assigned him an "overly conservative" label, primarily, and believe he coaches "scared." Every draft pick that didn't turn out in Chicago was Jauron's fault. They cite his W-L record without regard for any of the circumstances that go into whether or not a team is successful, and downplay the power struggle he faced in Chicago. They ignore the fact that the list of QBs Jauron has had at his disposal (up until now) would make a grown man cry. They also apparently don't believe that a football coach can actually learn and develop as he goes along. This, despite the fact Buffalo's winningest HC had an eerily similar record of "failure" before he came to the Bills.

Those who reasonably defend DJ in Buffalo don't necessarily make excuses for his prior stint in Chicago, but see the fact that he inherited a rather talent-poor roster and was able to grind out two 7-9 seasons, both of which had the Bills in the playoff conversation into December (when they had no business being there). They see a tremendous influx of talent over the past three offseasons, of which Jauron was a part. They cite a universal admiration and respect for DJ among players and fellow coaches, as well as visual evidence his Buffalo teams always seem to give their best effort on Sunday.

It is entirely reasonable to question some of Jauron's decisions -- his seeming inability to find a decent OC, for one -- but some of the criticisms lodged against him are entirely too mean-spirited and unfounded, IMO. When Jauron comes out and says he wants to get yards in "big chunks" and that he wants to "let the players play" he is essentially accused of lying by those who would like to keep him in the box they've created.

Look at this team, folks. Read the articles circulating. Dick Jauron deserves his share of the credit. I don't know where this team will end up -- I'm out of the prediction business -- but at the end of the day I think we'll be smiling.

Edit: I forgot this. F**k Mike Schopp

PTR

Because, like Wade Phillips, he isn't willing to correct mistakes quickly because it clashes with his ego. Jauron knew Fairchild wasn't NFL material but, for reasons known only to himself, kept him on the staff; instead, choosing to throw certain players under the bus. Case in point: at the end of last year, he had some choice words for Lynch because he didn't "hit the holes hard enough or fast enough". That's kinda hard to do Dick when those holes just aren't there. And if anybody bothers to look at our running game this year, you will find Marshawn working doubly hard (when compared to his other RB counterparts) to scrape up 70 yards rushing/game. Either that line is horrible beyond reason or Lynch is an utter bust. It's a small miracle we are even able to pass block as well as we have.

Another potential dumb decision is trying to use Jackson or Reed as primary punt returners if he does so these next few weeks. It's as if he thinks that McKelvin is already overworked or tiring from this kick return duties. Jackson/Reed should be used only as Leodis' backups, IMO. I don't think #28 gets enough touches as it is.

Do I think Dick deserves a contract extension? Only if it means keeping both Perry and Turk as his coordinators just to keep some continuity for this young team.

Because, like Wade Phillips, he isn't willing to correct mistakes quickly because it clashes with his ego. Jauron knew Fairchild wasn't NFL material but, for reasons known only to himself, kept him on the staff; instead, choosing to throw certain players under the bus. Case in point: at the end of last year, he had some choice words for Lynch because he didn't "hit the holes hard enough or fast enough". That's kinda hard to do Dick when those holes just aren't there. And if anybody bothers to look at our running game this year, you will find Marshawn working doubly hard (when compared to his other RB counterparts) to scrape up 70 yards rushing/game. Either that line is horrible beyond reason or Lynch is an utter bust. It's a small miracle we are even able to pass block as well as we have.

Another potential dumb decision is trying to use Jackson or Reed as primary punt returners if he does so these next few weeks. It's as if he thinks that McKelvin is already overworked or tiring from this kick return duties. Jackson/Reed should be used only as Leodis' backups, IMO. I don't think #28 gets enough touches as it is.

Do I think Dick deserves a contract extension? Only if it means keeping both Perry and Turk as his coordinators just to keep some continuity for this young team.

Where is it implied by anyone that Reed and Jackson will be primary punt returners? How many more touches would you like for McKelvin? He has been returning kicks the last 2 games. Did you want to bench Roscoe?

Because, like Wade Phillips, he isn't willing to correct mistakes quickly because it clashes with his ego. Jauron knew Fairchild wasn't NFL material but, for reasons known only to himself, kept him on the staff; instead, choosing to throw certain players under the bus. Case in point: at the end of last year, he had some choice words for Lynch because he didn't "hit the holes hard enough or fast enough". That's kinda hard to do Dick when those holes just aren't there.

I think you're wrong here. Freddy was able to get an extra 2-3 untouched yards past the LOS because he saw and hit holes faster than Marshawn did last year. Not once did Jauron call out Lynch's effort, and even Lynch himself admitted he didn't see the field last year as well as he could.

Another potential dumb decision is trying to use Jackson or Reed as primary punt returners if he does so these next few weeks.

Don't you think you're jumping the gun a bit on this one?

It's as if he thinks that McKelvin is already overworked or tiring from this kick return duties. Jackson/Reed should be used only as Leodis' backups, IMO. I don't think #28 gets enough touches as it is.

Or may be it's because punt returns are a lot harder than kick returns.

Okay? You do realize that keeping some continuity essentially means keeping Jauron? If he goes, at least one of his coordinators goes with him, and the whole thing gets blown up.

Why do some people still listen to Mike Schoop?

That is the bigger question...

I usually only listen to Shoops segemnts on the GR Audio Vault, interviewing different people. Doing that, he is not so bad. But after last Sundays' game, I had a rare opportunity to listen to the Bills post-game show, online. I finally heard what everyone was talking about. He really is an ass. What he is hosting a football show for, is beyond me.

While watching the game, I remember being confused, once the Billls were in field goal range, why the Raiders didn't use any of their two remaining timeouts. A few peple I was wathcing with thought it was kind of strantge too. Someone called up Schoop bringing up the point, and he laughed them off, as if they were a moron. His reasoning was "It's not that big of a deal...a lot of coaches don't do that. Mostly becuase it is a waste of time...how often does that work?"

I would have called to tell the guy off, but I didn't have the phone number. Schoop didin't let the caller speak long enough, to explain that the Raiders should have called a timeout to save time for themselves to have one more possession. Maybe a hail mary...they let about 35 seconds waste away. Schoop couldn't fathom any other reason, other to "ice" the kicker, that the Raiders should have used those time outs. The guy just sounds lazy.

I usually only listen to Shoops segemnts on the GR Audio Vault, interviewing different people. Doing that, he is not so bad. But after last Sundays' game, I had a rare opportunity to listen to the Bills post-game show, online. I finally heard what everyone was talking about. He really is an ass. What he is hosting a football show for, is beyond me.

While watching the game, I remember being confused, once the Billls were in field goal range, why the Raiders didn't use any of their two remaining timeouts. A few peple I was wathcing with thought it was kind of strantge too. Someone called up Schoop bringing up the point, and he laughed them off, as if they were a moron. His reasoning was "It's not that big of a deal...a lot of coaches don't do that. Mostly becuase it is a waste of time...how often does that work?"

I would have called to tell the guy off, but I didn't have the phone number. Schoop didin't let the caller speak long enough, to explain that the Raiders should have called a timeout to save time for themselves to have one more possession. Maybe a hail mary...they let about 35 seconds waste away. Schoop couldn't fathom any other reason, other to "ice" the kicker, that the Raiders should have used those time outs. The guy just sounds lazy.

I actually caught the exact same post-game report and it was also my first Schoop experience. I didn't know who I was listening to but after the very call you mention and a few others, my girlfriend turned to me and said, "who is this a-hole?" Having read my share of Schoop complaints here, I knew EXACTLY who it was!

He has more losses then wins as a head coach. It's the same here in buffalo. He is close to 500 wins as a Buffalo Bills coach by a game or two but he is still on the losing end.

I am not a huge fan but i think he is a huge coach. It's obvious that the players like him and want to play for him. I have never heard any player on any of his teams speak poorly of him. That in itself is a big accomplishment and is probably 90 percent of the job as a HC.

It's simple and complicated, PTR. Jauron had one season of success in Chicago that some call a "fluke" -- arguable in the sense that there was a ridiculous stretch of games in which the ball seemed to bounce in the Bears' favor -- but otherwise his teams have had losing records.

Those who continue to criticize DJ have assigned him an "overly conservative" label, primarily, and believe he coaches "scared." Every draft pick that didn't turn out in Chicago was Jauron's fault. They cite his W-L record without regard for any of the circumstances that go into whether or not a team is successful, and downplay the power struggle he faced in Chicago. They ignore the fact that the list of QBs Jauron has had at his disposal (up until now) would make a grown man cry. They also apparently don't believe that a football coach can actually learn and develop as he goes along. This, despite the fact Buffalo's winningest HC had an eerily similar record of "failure" before he came to the Bills.

Those who reasonably defend DJ in Buffalo don't necessarily make excuses for his prior stint in Chicago, but see the fact that he inherited a rather talent-poor roster and was able to grind out two 7-9 seasons, both of which had the Bills in the playoff conversation into December (when they had no business being there). They see a tremendous influx of talent over the past three offseasons, of which Jauron was a part. They cite a universal admiration and respect for DJ among players and fellow coaches, as well as visual evidence his Buffalo teams always seem to give their best effort on Sunday.

It is entirely reasonable to question some of Jauron's decisions -- his seeming inability to find a decent OC, for one -- but some of the criticisms lodged against him are entirely too mean-spirited and unfounded, IMO. When Jauron comes out and says he wants to get yards in "big chunks" and that he wants to "let the players play" he is essentially accused of lying by those who would like to keep him in the box they've created.

Look at this team, folks. Read the articles circulating. Dick Jauron deserves his share of the credit. I don't know where this team will end up -- I'm out of the prediction business -- but at the end of the day I think we'll be smiling.

Edit: I forgot this. F**k Mike Schopp

I am just happy DJ has the team playing without the penalties we suffered under Meathead. All that other great stuff you pointed out is just frosting :devil:

Guest dog14787

PTR

Always some jerk somewhere :lol:

Seems like for the most part though, Dick jauron and the rest of the Bills coaching staff seems to be well respected in the media.

If not, they will be soon :devil:

Why do some people still listen to Mike Schoop?

:devil:

:lol:

I like Dick....wait a minute, what did I just say?

Nothing very surprising.

:lol:

PTR

Reply to topic question:

You mean the same people who are just now realizing that Trent over JP was the right decision?

There are those who fall for the animated antics of coaches like Chucky down in Tampa. I guess it fits their paradigm of what tthey rhink a coach should look like.

Because, like Wade Phillips, he isn't willing to correct mistakes quickly because it clashes with his ego.

I think all Head Coaches in the NFL should have confidence, and enough ego to do the job. But, Wade and Dick may be the two Head Coaches with the smallest (relatively) egos, in the NFL. And, I think that's why he is perceived as a bad coach, by some.

Combined with the fact that he is a relatively safe and conservative coach, he doesn't demand to "put his stamp" on a team he coaches. He doesn't demand to run the whole show, and make dramatic change. So, change and improvement will come more slowly with a guy like Jauron, at the helm.

But, on the flip side, he is smart, fair and consistent with his staff and players. He built this team with solid young players, not flashy free agent stars (the way an ego-driven coach might). He managed to get an injury-riddled team to play hard, in 2007 and in return, he now has experienced depth at many positions. As he doesn't demand the spotlight or call out his players in public, he doesn't often make ESPN highlights.

For a short-term fix, or instant turn around, Jauron isn't your guy...his ego isn't big enough for that. For building a solid team, Dick just might be your guy, But, it likely has to be for a team whose execs (GM, Owner) are also not overly ego driven. The collegial atmosphere of the Bills may just have been the perfect place for Dick Jauron to prosper.

Now, whether I am right or wrong, my reasoning is far too intricate, and my argument too complex for a dunderhead like Shoop to understand.