TRENT EDWARDS

RayFinkle

I am becoming a big fan of TE but to annoint him as SB level QB or HOF (as per a few posts here) is a bit premature. While he has shown great proficiency in the short passing game and check downs and seems to do great against soft cover D's late in the game, it still bothers me that our passing game is accomodating to the defense rather than vice versa.

Perhaps as we evolve we will dictate the offense but to be a truly great, you play your game and don't take what the D gives you. Our K Gun came out blazing and it was get out of its way or get rolled. Looking at Dallas or Denver (not a fan of either team btw) I see their offenses dictating to the defenses how they are going to play. We are in their category (record wise at least) and I would like to see our offense step up accordingly.

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Is it just me or are defenses stacked up against ML23 because they don't respect our mid and deeper passing game? I would love to see some more aggresive downfield throws to loosen up the D an make the linebackers a bit more honest.

I note that the D's aren't pulling their backer out on 3rd and mediums or 2nd and mediums and as a result Lynch is facing the full front 7. Also the safeties seem to be cheating quite a bit...result is a 3.6 yd avg for a RB that should be in the upper 4's based on his talents.

So my question is, is the long ball a learned skill or something that some guys just "have." I hope its a learned skill and with developing cohesion with his receivers, etc so that later in the year teams can no longer stack up against Lynch and we can then use the pass to set up the run.

You're equating 3 (in a tied game) and 7 point 4th quarter performances to 10 an 17 point (both come from behind) 4th quarter performances?

Only in response to posts I've seen saying that coming from behind etc just hasn't happened in recent years. JP has had a few good games.......he has shown some good things. In 2006 many of us had high hopes for him mainly based on those two performances. He may well never make it as a quality starter......but that shouldn't erase the good games and decent year he had.

Chances are JP probably doesn't even read the thread though. :flirt:

its easy to fly off at the, well fingers, when your excited, no big deal, do it all the time. :ph34r:

Truth of the matter is though, JP's a touchy subject, lots of folks around here realize JP's career was badly mishandled. Yet through it all JP conducted himself in a professional manner. JP's a team player, he's a Buffalo Bill and he deserves our support the same as every other player on our team. :worthy:

As I said before I should have added AS STARTER to my post. I do support JP and hope he does well wherever he goes.

In my opinion JP never got what Trent had today. In year 2 of his career if he had

a int. and fumble he would be pulled and never given the chance for redemption

I agree. JP got a raw deal with all the coaching changes and idiotic coaches he dealt with. Had he been handled right he would have been a much better QB but Trent is at another level.

Is it just me or are defenses stacked up against ML23 because they don't respect our mid and deeper passing game? I would love to see some more aggresive downfield throws to loosen up the D an make the linebackers a bit more honest.

I note that the D's aren't pulling their backer out on 3rd and mediums or 2nd and mediums and as a result Lynch is facing the full front 7. Also the safeties seem to be cheating quite a bit...result is a 3.6 yd avg for a RB that should be in the upper 4's based on his talents.

So my question is, is the long ball a learned skill or something that some guys just "have." I hope its a learned skill and with developing cohesion with his receivers, etc so that later in the year teams can no longer stack up against Lynch and we can then use the pass to set up the run.

It's not you, and that is an issue going forward. I don't think Trent can't throw the long ball, but it isn't as natural for him, and he he is still struggling a bit with it. So did Brady for the early part of his career. But, that doesn't mean the Bills can't/shouldn't take a few more medium and long shots, to try and loosen things up.

The other things the Bills of the '90's did, that I would like to see from this team are spreading the field and controlling the tempo. I'm not suggesting this team become a clone of those Bills and go no huddle all the time, but it would be nice to see them use it, at times, during the game.

It's not you, and that is an issue going forward. I don't think Trent can't throw the long ball, but it isn't as natural for him, and he he is still struggling a bit with it. So did Brady for the early part of his career. But, that doesn't mean the Bills can't/shouldn't take a few more medium and long shots, to try and loosen things up.

Yesterday the problem was not him being unable to throw deep. He was missing some short to medium throws through the better part of 3 quarters. As I said before, the dropsies were not helping. He did make a couple of very nice throws (kinda deep) to Parrish & Evans in the 4th. Fact is that we were just totally out of sync as an offense for 3 quarters - Trent was one factor. We can argue that he should have helped a struggling offense by elevating his level of play. But that will take experience and maturity which should come fast enough for him.

Yep, for 3 qtrs the Raiders were playing Trent correctly and he basically couldn't do anything. Then they went to the Prevent(you from winning). The rest of the league will take notice of how the Raiders played him, then it will be up to Trent and Turk to adjust.

Because of Trent's poor throwing mechanics it will be difficult for him to EVER throw the deep ball, I mean more than 35 yards in the air. The longer his ball is in the air the more it floats and that is a bad thing. For this team to be proficient on offense they need to run the ball and in order to run the ball Buffalo somehow needs to get the defense to stop stacking the line and in order to do that Trent needs to throw deep on occasion to keep the defense honest. I predict in the coming weeks things will get increasingly tougher for Trent now that he has been somewhat exposed by the Raiders.

Yesterday the problem was not him being unable to throw deep. He was missing some short to medium throws through the better part of 3 quarters. As I said before, the dropsies were not helping. He did make a couple of very nice throws (kinda deep) to Parrish & Evans in the 4th. Fact is that we were just totally out of sync as an offense for 3 quarters - Trent was one factor. We can argue that he should have helped a struggling offense by elevating his level of play. But that will take experience and maturity which should come fast enough for him.

For the first 2 quarters (almost) he simply wasn't very good on any passes. He drilled a couple of short check down passes to Shouman and Lynch that he normally throws well. But, in general, he is pretty accurate on the short and medium range, stuff...and he was again, starting near the end of the 3rd quarter.

you guys complain about anything

the only thing that counts is the W

get over it ............jp is dead to buffalo...........trent is the best thing that could have possibly happen to this team........he is young and can only get better with experience.............

you guys complain about anything

the only thing that counts is the W

get over it ............jp is dead to buffalo...........trent is the best thing that could have possibly happen to this team........he is young and can only get better with experience.............

Who is complaining...except you, that is?

Im shocked that not one person blamed his bad first 3 quarters on the mist that was falling..He just doesnt get it done if it aint sunny..LOL... :ph34r:

Actually, it was noted by one poster, that the tide turned just as the rain stopped. :flirt:

Of course, I doubt it was weather related. Watching on TV you could barely tell it was raining.

Actually, it was noted by one poster, that the tide turned just as the rain stopped. :flirt:

Of course, I doubt it was weather related. Watching on TV you could barely tell it was raining.

I give alot of credit to our offensive woes yesterday to a very good blitz package that the Raiders came up with, that combined with Lechlers amazing display of punting the ball put us in bad field position all day till we drove 96 yards..No excuses but there arent many teams that can drive the ball 96 yards 5 times a year let alone that many in one game..Cudos to Lechler that was one of the finest displays of punting I have ever seen in person..

Edit: We had 2 drive starts inside the 5 and 5 inside the 20

Yep, for 3 qtrs the Raiders were playing Trent correctly and he basically couldn't do anything. Then they went to the Prevent(you from winning). The rest of the league will take notice of how the Raiders played him, then it will be up to Trent and Turk to adjust.

Because of Trent's poor throwing mechanics it will be difficult for him to EVER throw the deep ball, I mean more than 35 yards in the air. The longer his ball is in the air the more it floats and that is a bad thing. For this team to be proficient on offense they need to run the ball and in order to run the ball Buffalo somehow needs to get the defense to stop stacking the line and in order to do that Trent needs to throw deep on occasion to keep the defense honest. I predict in the coming weeks things will get increasingly tougher for Trent now that he has been somewhat exposed by the Raiders.

yup they had a terrific defensive package in place for this game and im sure future teams we play will watch the film and try and duplicate some of those ideas. But here is the problem most if not all of those teams will have, just because the raiders made it look easy does not mean that it was or will be in the future.

To play that press man coverage you damn well better make sure you have 2 not 1, but 2 shut down corners. Lets give the Raiders some credit, they have the DBs to play that coverage and they did a great job for most of the game. "prevent" defense, i dont think so, Parrish TD throw was a thing of beauty and as good a throw as you'll see in the NFL, with a 300plus LB lineman smashing him in the grill.

I hope the Rams coaches are stupid enough to play that press man coverage on the bills....Trent who is a SMART qb will also watch the film from this past sunday and learn and adjust. If the Rams try it with what they have on the corners, Trent makes em pay big time.

Actually, it was noted by one poster, that the tide turned just as the rain stopped. :rolleyes:

That would be me. :)

While I am ecstatic about his development in general and his fair weather performances in particular, his performance should not fall off a cliff in inclement weather. We will have plenty of opportunities this year to see if he has progressed in that department compared to last year. I am praying he has ...

It is fine to give him a pass for yesterdays sub-par quarters as he really wasn't getting any help.

Whether we win by 50 points or 1 point, it doesn't matter, a win is a win.

So far, with 2 4th quarter comebacks in a row, I'm very impressed with Edwards. It would be nice to see him lined up in Shotgun formation more often, as he did his best work of the day in the shotgun.

...but I think the crappy first three quarters were the classic letdown for a young team coming off a big, character-building road victory.

The crappy first three quarters were the direct result of the OL getting the snot beat out of them over and over and over. Getting away from the blitz in the fourth quarter is what cost the Raiders the game. Granted, the plays needed to be made by the Bills O, and they WERE made (the 96-yard, nine-minute drive was particularly impressive), but if the Raiders kept blitzing, there's little or no chance the Bills pull out the win.

The crappy first three quarters were the direct result of the OL getting the snot beat out of them over and over and over. Getting away from the blitz in the fourth quarter is what cost the Raiders the game. Granted, the plays needed to be made by the Bills O, and they WERE made (the 96-yard, nine-minute drive was particularly impressive), but if the Raiders kept blitzing, there's little or no chance the Bills pull out the win.

They were still blitzing in the 4th qtr. We just got better at picking up the blitz and making them pay for it.