TRENT EDWARDS

RayFinkle

Dumb off passes? Is that what we renamed the Kelly Holcomb checkdown specials? :thumbsup:

Seriously, though - I agree. I lost my cool when he fired that fastball to Schouman who was about three yards away in the flat. It was at least the second or third time he did that today and has been doing it all three games thus far. But you're right about it being a minor adjustment. He's got pretty good touch on his short passes, so I'm sure it's just a matter of slowing things down a little.

Holcomb popped into my head in the 3rd Quarter, when, on 3rd and 18, Trent dumped off to Lynch for a 3-yard gain.

That was the Bills' last bad drive of the game.

I thought Turk missed some early opportunities to open things up with long shots, in the first half. Specifically, there was a 2nd and two, in the first quarter, when I thought he would air it out.

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Where is Ramius so he can tell us all what Trent's record is as a starter now?

-1 for the Jets game. :thumbsup:

Seriously, Trent has really been impressive so far this year. You'd like the offense to run more consistantly than it did today, but to me that's mostly on the run blocking. The 4Q drives last week and today were All Pro level impressive. That's the kind of stuff you expect to see from the leagues' top QB. And Trent is doing it with a good but certainly not great WR corps. There's no Randy Moss, Brandon Marshall, Reggie Wayne on the Bills.

I liked JP and thought he was developing pretty well. The problem though is never seemed to be be mentally keep up with the game. That part I'm not sure if he'll ever get. He certainly won't be along in that respect as that's one of the things that pushed many QB's to the bench. Thinking on their feet kills them. On the other hand these are the things that TE seems to be very good at.

What I have a hard problem doing is saying that, given the right opportunity, JP might not also be that Pro-Bowl (and possible HOF) quarterback. So to compare the two and say who will have a better career is a bit crazy...

-1 for the Jets game. :thumbsup:

Seriously, Trent has really been impressive so far this year. You'd like the offense to run more consistantly than it did today, but to me that's mostly on the run blocking. The 4Q drives last week and today were All Pro level impressive. That's the kind of stuff you expect to see from the leagues' top QB. And Trent is doing it with a good but certainly not great WR corps. There's no Randy Moss, Brandon Marshall, Reggie Wayne on the Bills.

Evans is a great NFL WR and is certainly performing better than Randy Moss, this year.

Maybe Dick Jauron will become smarter and no longer defer to the second half like he did today. I thought that bogus move sent a bad "2007, we don't trust you" vibe to the offense. It took them three quarters to shake it off, but when they did, kaboom!

I didn't buy into Trent until after the Pitt preseason game this year, all of you Edwards folks were right. Jeez were you right! Edwards in that fourth quarter was simply amazing! Awesome feeling to be a Bills fan today.

Dude everybody defers--what's wrong with it?

I loved Trent, Those last three drives where the best I can remeber (im not old enough to remeber all the glory years specifically, but I do have "The Comeback" DVD). What was bothering me early in the game is that trent really got away from what made him so good in the first place, his pocket presence. A few times, and even on his TD pass to Roscoe, he faded back, or to the left or right, and into pressure when he should have stepped up into the pocket. Even the annoucers noticed, which is when you know its getting bad. He must have been watchin JP in practice too much!!!

But how can you not be crazy about what these guys were able to do...why we didnt do that all game who knows

Evans is a great NFL WR and is certainly performing better than Randy Moss, this year.

I wouldn't put Evans anywhere near 'great' status. He's certainly shown flashes and has the talent, but he simply hasn't proven it on the field. Hopefully that will change with a more settled offensive cast and better talent.

I have to admit that Trent Edwards is the better quarterback for the Buffalo Bills. He keeps playing like this, he is a Pro-Bowl (and possible HOF) quarterback. Thats jumping the gun, but what he did today is what Elway, Favre, Marino, Kelly, etc have done 1000 times. It would be ludicrous to suggest JP start on this team.

What I have a hard problem doing is saying that, given the right opportunity, JP might not also be that Pro-Bowl (and possible HOF) quarterback. So to compare the two and say who will have a better career is a bit crazy...

In my opinion, 20 years from now, we will be saying "wow, they had 2 great QBs on the roster at the same time". Thats not a problem. And thats not to say that MAYBE Losman might not turn out even better than trent...just not on the Bills.

Trent is the Guy. Lets stop the nonsense and JP bashing. We're 3-0. 5-0 is a realistic possibility. 12-13 wins is a realistic possibility. Playoffs are more than likely. We ARE a top team in the AFC.

Next...ST LOUIS....

And my response is that I don't think you, or any of the other people that think JP could be a great QB are very good evaluating QBs. JP will never be a great QB in the NFL. He'll always have his arm but he's never going to manage a game and possess all the intangibles good QBs have, you could see that from day 1. The same reason you could see Trent had it right from his first few starts.

I wouldn't put Evans anywhere near 'great' status. He's certainly shown flashes and has the talent, but he simply hasn't proven it on the field. Hopefully that will change with a more settled offensive cast and better talent.

Was Andre Reed a great WR?

In his first four years in the NFL, Reed had 3446 receiving yards and 22 TD catches.

In Evans first four years in the NFL, he has 3727 receiving yards and 29 TD catches.

And my response is that I don't think you, or any of the other people that think JP could be a great QB are very good evaluating QBs. JP will never be a great QB in the NFL. He'll always have his arm but he's never going to manage a game and possess all the intangibles good QBs have, you could see that from day 1. The same reason you could see Trent had it right from his first few starts.

Neither you, me nor anyone else KNOWS how good JP may be.

So far, it looks like Trent is going go be very good.

You're right Dean I should have put AS STARTER in that post but I didn't. I just figured that would be obvious to anyone but evidently it isn't. So in response to those people who think I don't support JP at all. I have this to say. :thumbsup: You JACK-ASSES!!!!!!! :lol::P

I didn't know there were still posters who wanted JP to start for this team. Who did you have in mind when you wrote this?

Why can't a thread about Trent, be about Trent, instead of JP, anyway?

In his first four years in the NFL, Reed had 3446 receiving yards and 22 TD catches.

In Evans first four years in the NFL, he has 3727 receiving yards and 29 TD catches.

In his first four years? No, he was not a great WR. Neither was Eric Moulds. Did they become great WRs? Yes. Will Evans? I don't know. My statement was concerning what he has accomplished thus far, not what he might accomplish in the future.

IMO, his average of 58/930/7 is very respectable, not great.

In his first four years? No, he was not a great WR. Neither was Eric Moulds. Did they become great WRs? Yes. Will Evans? I don't know. My statement was concerning what he has accomplished thus far, not what he might accomplish in the future.

IMO, his average of 58/930/7 is very respectable, not great.

I would argue that Reed (like Evans) was a great WR when he hit the NFL. They both played in bad offenses, though, and that limited their contribution. Evans does everything a great WR does...he just hasn't had as many opportunities as the others you mention. WR's can't get the ball to themselves. They have to be evaluated in the context of the offense.

'Nuff said.

I didn't know there were still posters who wanted JP to start for this team. Who did you have in mind when you wrote this?

Why can't a thread about Trent, be about Trent, instead of JP, anyway?

The people who still want JP to start. There aren't a lot of them but they do exist. As far as mentioning him in this thread it was the excitement of the moment.

This is a SECOND year QB. Unreal....the sky is the limit for this kid. Feels good to finally have a QB who puts you in position to win the game no matter the odds. This kid is unreal.

Huh? Granted he made the plays when they counted but for 80% of the game he was exactly what made Bills Nation turn on JPL: Inaccurate, poor pocket presence, holding the ball too long, bad decisions.

Make the plays at the end, and fine, we'll overlook it. But for the 3+ quarters I was cursing at Trent and flinging stuff at the TV...

Deferring is the smart move. It gives you the chance of getting an extra possession over the course of the game. It’s also a smart move in terms of momentum in my book as the D is the stronger untit of the two. Let them come out and set the tone for the Bills.

How does it give you a chance at an extra possession ? I'm a little fuzzy on that logic. I did hear some announcer in last weeks games say that every coach in the NFL will defer to the second half. I didn't catch the explanation, but there must be some advantage.

That was Edwards' coming of age game, he's now the QB of the future!

He stood in the pocket on the Parrish TD pass and got HAMMERED. It took alot of poise and guts to do that.

CBS showed him on the bench afterward shaking out the cobwebs...and as soon as he got his bearings he was up on his feet telling his teammates, "We can do this! Let's go!"

To me, Trent became THE MAN right then and there.

How does it give you a chance at an extra possession ? I'm a little fuzzy on that logic. I did hear some announcer in last weeks games say that every coach in the NFL will defer to the second half. I didn't catch the explanation, but there must be some advantage.

Football is time based, not possession based. I really have no idea what that could mean. That just can't be the right explanation.

I do think it is an advantage to start with the D in the first half, and the O in the second half, though.

I would argue that Reed (like Evans) was a great WR when he hit the NFL. They both played in bad offenses, though, and that limited their contribution. Evans does everything a great WR does...he just hasn't had as many opportunities as the others you mention. WR's can't get the ball to themselves. They have to be evaluated in the context of the offense.

I think Evans is a above average player with the potential to be a great player when its all said and done..He doesnt have the size of what most people would classify as a great reciever..I mean in the context of a Irvin, Reed, Rice, T.O..The number of great receivers on the smaller side is not in as great in numbers..The great receivers have tended to be able to catch the ball over the middle down the seam and deep..Which is why your so called great receivers tend to be larger..It doesnt mean he cant put up big numbers but great receivers dont get outmuscled for footballs..Those are the kind of mistakes he will need to stray from to become a great receiver IMO..Great Receivers tend to be good blockers downfield and show an allaround effort..I just dont see that type of allaround production yet..