Something just occured to me about the SD/DEN game

PromoTheRobot

Why would Mike Shannahan go for two at the end of the game against the Chargers? He probably wanted to just stick a fork in San Diego. But the 2-point conversion struck me as Shanny saying "okay, we got a break...but I'm giving you chance to take it away, San Diego." Am I just imagining things?

PTR

Why would Mike Shannahan go for two at the end of the game against the Chargers? He probably wanted to just stick a fork in San Diego. But the 2-point conversion struck me as Shanny saying "okay, we got a break...but I'm giving you chance to take it away, San Diego." Am I just imagining things?

PTR

Hmm..you may be right..If you are, that was very sporting of him..

PTR

Actually, your logic is along the right track. But you're essentially wrong. After the game, Shannahan likened the decision to splurging a $50 you found in a puddle that day.

Actually, your logic is along the right track. But you're essentially wrong. After the game, Shannahan likened the decision to splurging a $50 you found in a puddle that day.

Yeah, but he also sort of mischievously pointed out, "we have all had what we thought were bad calls against us, you just have to deal with it as a coach and a player...there was another chance for the Chargers to win that game..." Shanahan is an interesting guy, not like a lot of NFL coaches. I took his comments to mean exactly what Promo was saying....if you think about it, there is almost no other reason to go for two in that situation. Of course, maybe Shanahan thought the Chargers were so bent out of shape, they wouldn't be focused enough to stop a two point play? Either way, one hell of a gamble...if they hadn't gotten it, I think Broncos fans would have plenty reason to be po'd at Shanny!

zomg did the CIA kill Kennedy?

Shanahan explained why he went for the 2 point conversion. He said he looked over at his defense and they were spent. He didn't want to give SD the ball back with his defense out of gas. Both offenses were running up and down the field all day why risk it when the better squad was already on the field.

PTR

He called cuz he ha sa big set. Go for the win and not lose your chance to win a game on a coin flip!!!!!!!!!!

His defense was tired, getting scored on, and if the Chargers got the ball in overtime, they would have won. Shanahan had more trust in his offense to get the 2 point conversion than his defense to stop the Chargers in OT, thus he called the 2 pointer.

Everyone is saying the refs cost them the game, but Denver went on to move the ball right down their throats, score a touchdown, and then score a two point conversion on them. They had their opportunities. Their defense lost them the game.

Just to make trouble, I have to say that is also the proper response to the "tuck rule" game as well... The Raiders had plenty of chances to win after they got hosed.

For the record, I typed that with clenched teeth....

zomg did the CIA kill Kennedy?

Shanahan explained why he went for the 2 point conversion. He said he looked over at his defense and they were spent. He didn't want to give SD the ball back with his defense out of gas. Both offenses were running up and down the field all day why risk it when the better squad was already on the field.

The macguffin killed Kenedy.

If Shanahan went for the 2 in order to give San Diego a second chance, he ought to be fired on the spot. Coaches are paid to guide their teams toward wins no matter the circumstance.

But in any case, that's not what happened. Like a previous poster and Tuesday Morning Quarterback noted, the chances of scoring on a 2-point conversion are roughly 50-50. The chances of winning in overtime (especially when the teams are so evenly matched) are 50-50. Shanahan probably figured, "Why leave this game up to a coin toss?" Going for 2 in this situation doesn't decrease your odds of winning, it just makes it SEEM worse if you fail.

Congrats to Shanahan for having the cojones to do that. And furthermore, it's brave in another way. If you go for 2 and fail, the coach gets blamed. If you head to overtime and lose, the players get blamed. He was putting the onus on himself as head coach, something that many don't do because they are afraid of getting bashed in the media.

If Shanahan went for the 2 in order to give San Diego a second chance, he ought to be fired on the spot. Coaches are paid to guide their teams toward wins no matter the circumstance.

But in any case, that's not what happened. Like a previous poster and Tuesday Morning Quarterback noted, the chances of scoring on a 2-point conversion are roughly 50-50. The chances of winning in overtime (especially when the teams are so evenly matched) are 50-50. Shanahan probably figured, "Why leave this game up to a coin toss?" Going for 2 in this situation doesn't decrease your odds of winning, it just makes it SEEM worse if you fail.

Congrats to Shanahan for having the cojones to do that. And furthermore, it's brave in another way. If you go for 2 and fail, the coach gets blamed. If you head to overtime and lose, the players get blamed. He was putting the onus on himself as head coach, something that many don't do because they are afraid of getting bashed in the media.

Shanahan's a HOF coach. In doing some wiki-research on the guy I came across this VERY interesting tidbit:

Coincidentally, Shanahan has the best record for any active coach against Bill Belichick. Including the postseason win, Shanahan is 5–2 against Belichick's Patriots, the five wins coming in the last six meetings.

Easterbrook at espn.com has some interesting info on two point conversions vs. OT. He writes that 2pt'ers are successful 55% of the time. Going to OT gives you a 50-50 shot. Odds are better with the 2 pt'er.

Have you got a link?

I can't find the article & I'm very interested to read about the stats.

Going for 2 keeps your destiny in your hands rather than gambling on a coin flip. Given how easily both teams were scoring, I doubt that the loser of the coin flip would have been able to get a stop outside FG range. Denver had a chance to win it right there so, under those circumstances, I can see why they went for it.

Have you got a link?

I can't find the article & I'm very interested to read about the stats.

Here it is at the bottom of the third paragraph.

Charges should have few complaints. They had two plays after the disputed play and lost them both and the game along with it. What - were they thinking it's okay, we'll win it in OT?

No sympathy here, not with the luck we've had over the decades.