Next time somebody says Trent has a weak arm

DIE HARD 1967

If it's about how far a QB can throw a ball, Edwards probably would be in the bottom 5 of NFL starters. Sorry, but the guy does not have a gun for an arm. Mechanically, you'd be hard pressed to find a QB who uses his hips less when he throws. Using that core to generate power is what a guy like Tom Brady has done to elevate his arm from below average to above. When Edwards throws, it's all shoulder. Right now, the deep ball for Edwards is all about anticipation, and he has been very good at getting the ball out quickly and anticipating where the receiver will be after his break.

So you know more than Pat Kirwan?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pat_Kirwan

You also know more then Steve Marucci?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steve_Mariucci

These guys don't speak with Rose Colored glasses like the fans do. If Trent had arm strength issues they would have mentioned it.

Are you Sam Wyche by chance?

I think it is fair to say Trent isn't in the "boomer arm" category, but he isn't Chad Pennington, either. Trent's arm is strong enough to make all the throws required to be a successful QB in the NFL. I wish I could find the article where they measured his throw with a jugs gun. It was fine, nice and strong, nothing to see here....

He does need some work on the long ball, but according to his coaches, it is about trajectory and timing, not the lack of strength to get the ball downfield.

!@#$ing unwatchable. Whoever made it should be shot! :thumbsup:

Really, I had to stop just a short way in. Whoever thought that would help Trent's case is nuts.

Trent's arm strength is fine, we don't need that video to tell us. Actually nobody needs that video for anything.

Yeah that was ridiculous. After Simms' third or fourth annoying "Stuttering John" impression I had enough and tapped out.

If it's about how far a QB can throw a ball, Edwards probably would be in the bottom 5 of NFL starters. Sorry, but the guy does not have a gun for an arm. Mechanically, you'd be hard pressed to find a QB who uses his hips less when he throws. Using that core to generate power is what a guy like Tom Brady has done to elevate his arm from below average to above. When Edwards throws, it's all shoulder. Right now, the deep ball for Edwards is all about anticipation, and he has been very good at getting the ball out quickly and anticipating where the receiver will be after his break.

Good post, and WRT the bolded section - that should give everyone hope that Trent will be able to work on his mechanics, get his hips and core involved, and improve his arm strength a la Marcia Brady.

Wow...Phil Simms just reminded me of Max Headroom. :huh:

:rolleyes:

I think it is fair to say Trent isn't in the "boomer arm" category, but he isn't Chad Pennington, either. Trent's arm is strong enough to make all the throws required to be a successful QB in the NFL. I wish I could find the article where they measured his throw with a jugs gun. It was fine, nice and strong, nothing to see here....

He does need some work on the long ball, but according to his coaches, it is about trajectory and timing, not the lack of strength to get the ball downfield.

Exactly!

Able to read a defense quick and release the ball on time and in a location so the reciever can do something with it or....be able to throw a football 70 yrds in the air :flirt:

Excellently put!!

He has a below average "arm" for an NFL starter. But what he does have is more valuable. Including knowing his limitations and not trying to make throws he can't complete. That said, it would be nice to see them get the ball downfield a little more to loosen up the run game for Lynch and Jackson. When you've got Lee Evans in your receiving corps, your first deep ball shouldn't come with 5 minutes left in the game. Edwards has had a great start, but don't discount the value of a quick-six now and then. Expect the Raiders to be squatting on all those short throws this week. Edwards should have some good opportunities to hit the deep ball.

I have been one of Trent's biggest critics since he took over for JP, mostly because I was convinced that JP was the answer for us at quarterback. But, I havn't seen anything to indicate that Trent Edwards has 'a below average arm' for an NFL starter.

Able to read a defense quick and release the ball on time and in a location so the reciever can do something with it or....be able to throw a football 70 yrds in the air :flirt:

No one is saying he sucks because he doesn't have a JP arm, and no one is saying that we have to pick one or the other. I think what a lot of us are saying is that while Trent has shown exceptional abilities in the areas you mentioned (plus a couple others) - reading defenses, quick release, good decision-making, taking care of the ball, and putting it in a good spot for the receiver -- his arm is passable but nothing to write home about. But like Marcia Brady, Trent can continue working on his mechanics and improve his arm strength, and having a stronger arm can only help his play.

No one is saying he sucks because he doesn't have a JP arm, and no one is saying that we have to pick one or the other. I think what a lot of us are saying is that while Trent has shown exceptional abilities in the areas you mentioned (plus a couple others) - reading defenses, quick release, good decision-making, taking care of the ball, and putting it in a good spot for the receiver -- his arm is passable but nothing to write home about. But like Marcia Brady, Trent can continue working on his mechanics and improve his arm strength, and having a stronger arm can only help his play.

Thank you. Fine post. I will add that my concerns are not particularly about the deep ball but the zip he can put on it for the short to medium throws and how accurate he is when the weather is not sunny, warm and calm.

my point is Trent can become a great QB in this league with the skill set he has without the rocket arm, but having the rocket arm and lacking the skills Trent does have, well.... then your just a guy with a rocket arm.

Thank you. Fine post. I will add that my concerns are not particularly about the deep ball but the zip he can put on it for the short to medium throws and how accurate he is when the weather is not sunny, warm and calm.

Good point about the zip on the ball in bad weather. Obviously the two bad-weather games he struggled in last year were much worse conditions than your garden-variety winter games, but it will be interesting to see if he can make adjustments to be effective in the late November/early December Buffalo conditions.

my point is Trent can become a great QB in this league with the skill set he has without the rocket arm, but having the rocket arm and lacking the skills Trent does have, well.... then your just a guy with a rocket arm.

Fair enough. My point was that if Trent can add "improved arm strength" to his current skill set, it will go a long way toward propelling him to "elite QB" status. Obviously there are/have been QB's with passable arms and excellent skill sets in other areas, and I'm not saying he needs to have a Jeff George/JP rocket arm, but improving his arm strength is something he can do and in all likelihood won't hurt his game.

Good point about the zip on the ball in bad weather. Obviously the two bad-weather games he struggled in last year were much worse conditions than your garden-variety winter games, but it will be interesting to see if he can make adjustments to be effective in the late November/early December Buffalo conditions.

Fair enough. My point was that if Trent can add "improved arm strength" to his current skill set, it will go a long way toward propelling him to "elite QB" status. Obviously there are/have been QB's with passable arms and excellent skill sets in other areas, and I'm not saying he needs to have a Jeff George/JP rocket arm, but improving his arm strength is something he can do and in all likelihood won't hurt his game.

I agree, if he can add some zip then that would be good for his game, if not then no big deal he still has plenty of tools to became as good as he wants to be.

I have been one of Trent's biggest critics since he took over for JP, mostly because I was convinced that JP was the answer for us at quarterback. But, I havn't seen anything to indicate that Trent Edwards has 'a below average arm' for an NFL starter.

Well he's no Cody Pickett in the arm strength category (you better get this joke!), Trent has something better than a boomer cannon arm, he has the ability to put together long drives by reading the defense. TOP is huge in the NFL.