James Hardy

Kelly the Dog

I don't think the play that Hardy made can be under-estimated. It was ridiculous, and there isn't more than ten players IMO in the entire league that can make that play simply because if you're not that big you cannot get that high. Yeah, some guys can jump out of the gym but I'm really not sure a lot of guys could make that play, especially because the NFL changed the rule on the force out this year. The fact is that we needed a red zone guy, a big receiver, to make that specific play. In college, Hardy proved to have a nose for the endzone like no one else. He scored in his first pre-season game in the red zone. And he scored in his first game (he had a chance) in the regular season.

Not only that, but it was late, on a huge play, with a spectacular catch and getting his feet down. I don't think, again, it can be under-estimated that this guy is a TD machine. Something we havent had in a long while. And every play from now on in the red zone it is going to help Royal and Evans and Reed and Roscoe. That play was enormous, in many ways.

It was a good, tough catch. More than 10 players playing in the highest, most-elite level of football would make it. Beyond that, (and I'm not trying to downplay Hardy) I'm disappointed in the way we decided to use his height. We made it tougher than wee needed to. That's a tough play to expect from a rookie. Do we not have a 1-on-1 toss up play in our books that I've seen plenty of teams foil us with?

I don't think the play that Hardy made can be under-estimated. It was ridiculous, and there isn't more than ten players IMO in the entire league that can make that play simply because if you're not that big you cannot get that high. Yeah, some guys can jump out of the gym but I'm really not sure a lot of guys could make that play, especially because the NFL changed the rule on the force out this year. The fact is that we needed a red zone guy, a big receiver, to make that specific play. In college, Hardy proved to have a nose for the endzone like no one else. He scored in his first pre-season game in the red zone. And he scored in his first game (he had a chance) in the regular season.

Not only that, but it was late, on a huge play, with a spectacular catch and getting his feet down. I don't think, again, it can be under-estimated that this guy is a TD machine. Something we havent had in a long while. And every play from now on in the red zone it is going to help Royal and Evans and Reed and Roscoe. That play was enormous, in many ways.

Where are all those who wanted to pass on him and went on and on about how he "beat up a 1 year old"??

I hope we see a lot of those jump balls. How he got those feet in after having to go up so high I'll never know.

I was waiting for The Official "That's Why We Drafted Him" thread. Do we score that TD without him? How? It's amazing, going into the offseason last year my wish list would've included a disruptive, penetrating DT and a tall WR, in that order, and we got 'em both. The difference is palpable. (Third on the list would've been a playmaking tight end to stretch the field. Oh well. Can you imagine what a gifted TE would add to Schonert's creative offense?)

It was a good, tough catch. More than 10 players playing in the highest, most-elite level of football would make it. Beyond that, (and I'm not trying to downplay Hardy) I'm disappointed in the way we decided to use his height. We made it tougher than wee needed to. That's a tough play to expect from a rookie. Do we not have a 1-on-1 toss up play in our books that I've seen plenty of teams foil us with?

Yes, because throwing the ball where only a Bills player has a chance to catch it is disappointing! Give me a break, it was a perfect play. If I had to criticize something it would be that it was too close to out of bounds, but other than that it was perfect. That ball was fired out there and Hardy made a great snag, that was not an easy catch. Disappointing is a word I can't even imagine using after watching that play...

I think you misread me. I thought it was a good play. I just think we should be making it easier on Hardy, and if we over complicate the toss up we could run into trouble.

Ok, my bad! But nothing comes easy in the red zone, and maybe a fade route would have come next if the first pass didn't work. It was just refreshing to capitalize on good drives with 6 instead of 3. On a side note...I thought the 2nd down roll out play to DS very late in the 4th was just a brilliant call and one our former OC would never had though of. The old Bills were run, run, run, punt late in the 4th. This new OC has a finish them off mentality, which is what they need!!!