Jags' Williamson ruled out for home opener; Porter questionable

PNW_Bills_Fan

Porter is gonna play. that about leaves him, Jones, and Lewis (TE) for WR's. I'm only slightly worried about Jones because of the height thing, but a couple of hits from Ko and Donte and he should be fine. Lewis can't catch a cold. We'll prob. keep Ellison on him. Porter's busted, and I think they'll try TOO HARD to go to him, so look for Terrance to have a big day.

I'm assuming we're gonna blitz quite a lot 'cause their O-line is so banged up, which means they're preparing for that as well. I'd look for some swing passes to the flats with Jones-drew, maybe even some screens. With our LB's though, we should be able to contain that as well.

Maybe I'm just a homer, but I just don't see how they're gonna function on O this weekend. I think the key for us is to contain the QB, not let him run around too much.

Porter is gonna play. that about leaves him, Jones, and Lewis (TE) for WR's. I'm only slightly worried about Jones because of the height thing, but a couple of hits from Ko and Donte and he should be fine. Lewis can't catch a cold. We'll prob. keep Ellison on him. Porter's busted, and I think they'll try TOO HARD to go to him, so look for Terrance to have a big day.

I'm assuming we're gonna blitz quite a lot 'cause their O-line is so banged up, which means they're preparing for that as well. I'd look for some swing passes to the flats with Jones-drew, maybe even some screens. With our LB's though, we should be able to contain that as well.

Maybe I'm just a homer, but I just don't see how they're gonna function on O this weekend. I think the key for us is to contain the QB, not let him run around too much.

Still not concrete about Porter, but looks doubtful that he'll play at all.

http://www.jacksonville.com/tu-online/stor...331710914.shtml

I foresee alot of MJD tomorrow. Through screens, draw plays, and alot of straight ahead running. He's the biggest playmaker that they have available along with Fred Taylor. Despite their depleted receivers and OL, I think that this is a huge test for our D. Its a matchup that should favor us as long as everyone comes out to play.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3584662

Does this help us this Sunday?

Williamson proved with Vikes he is pretty much a stiff, but super talented and could have lucked out and broken one against us, so all good he is out. Porter is a pro bowl talent with a bad attitude, is very very dangerous -- he is the one I do not want to face if I can avoid it...

Still not concrete about Porter, but looks doubtful that he'll play at all.

http://www.jacksonville.com/tu-online/stor...331710914.shtml

I foresee alot of MJD tomorrow. Through screens, draw plays, and alot of straight ahead running. He's the biggest playmaker that they have available along with Fred Taylor. Despite their depleted receivers and OL, I think that this is a huge test for our D. Its a matchup that should favor us as long as everyone comes out to play.

Vic Ketchman's not so sure about that.

David from Jacksonville

I know you're tired of hearing questions about play-calling but, with our obvious holes up front, why didn't we see more screens? We all know Jones-Drew and Taylor are outstanding in the open field and it just seems that when you are clearly getting beaten by speed and size it is the clear thing to do. I'm sure there's a reason we didn't see it on Sunday, hoping you can fill me in as to why.

Vic
: This play-calling stuff just won’t stop, will it? OK, I’ll play along one more time. The Jaguars ran three screens, which is about average for a game. They were not particularly successful, which is probably why you didn’t see more. Conventional thinking is that you don’t screen against teams that have good linebackers, especially good outside linebackers, and the Titans have two real good outside linebackers in Keith Bulluck and David Thornton. Plus, why would you screen when you’ve lost your starting guards and one of their replacements had to re-enter the game after spraining his knee? Those are the guys you count on getting out in space ahead of the play. With them out of the lineup and one of them injured, you couldn’t possibly expect to have the release-downfield timing you need to make something like that work. Here’s another thing: You didn’t establish enough of a downfield passing game to get defenders far enough away from the line of scrimmage to make screens work. I’m really at the end of my rope on this play-calling thing. No more. That’s it. I’m done.

The Jags front line is soft. DelRio has addressed that through his leadership - but the spare parts will have to do more than just show up for them. It remains to be seen how Jauron's got the squad motivated for this week and if they will (not can - will) build on last week's splendid performance.

Somebody's going to prove a point tomorrow. This is a huge game IMHO. The Bills either become a contender or remain a pretender, and it all happens tomorrow. :unsure:

Even if they suck?

Fans and media are always claiming players "suck" but teams continue to keep these players on roster. Either these coaches who work 60-80 hours a week know nothing or external evaluation of players are wrong. If they were so bad they would be cut and some of the hundreds of former ex-players, college players or semi-pro players would be hired at least to provide an additional body in practice.

Far too many from the sideline think they could work one day for any team in the league and do better.

^That'd be cool if Porter was out.

Mike Walker is better than TW imo. but we still should be all over their WR's if Porter is out.

Porter is out

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=roto...mp;type=fantasy

But he's not the player he used to be anyway after hamstring surgery. That leaves them with Reggie Williams and Matt Jones. Williams is an over-sized stiff (keeping with Del Rio's philosophy of getting the biggest guys, even if they're slow and have hands of brick). Jones is actually better and at 6'6" could create real mismatches against Bills secondary. He was their only decent performer last week with 6 catches for 80 yards.

Jones-Drew is the guy we need to especially pay attention to. He is always a threat to score from anywhere on the field. Garrard is a solid QB, but that oline and WR group(WRs are mediocre at best when healthy) are so banged up. I think we win this one and put the rest of the NFL on notice!

Fans and media are always claiming players "suck" but teams continue to keep these players on roster. Either these coaches who work 60-80 hours a week know nothing or external evaluation of players are wrong. If they were so bad they would be cut and some of the hundreds of former ex-players, college players or semi-pro players would be hired at least to provide an additional body in practice.

Far too many from the sideline think they could work one day for any team in the league and do better.

Sometimes players do suck, and later on they become good or even great with more experience, more luck, more knowledge of the system so they can play instead of think, put in better positions to play better, settle off the field stuff that prohibited their progress, having different or better players surrounding them and next to them, etc.

I'm assuming we're gonna blitz quite a lot 'cause their O-line is so banged up, which means they're preparing for that as well.

But bc their oline is in bad shape, maybe the Bills will blitz less? Stroud does his thing (i.e., flattens the guard, throws the center over his shoulder, says 'boo' which sends the blocking back running for the locker room, etc.) and the other DL are able to bring enough pressure with just 4 that the Bills can use a LB to prevent getting burned by the screen or other short passes, or a QB run.

(Usual disclaimers apply--I don't know what I am talking about, etc. etc.)

kj