VP of NFL Officiating Mike Pereira comments on fake FG

as long as you don't disguise the guy who lines up wide as part of a substitution package(i.e. sending hime on or off with a group of players and having him stop at the sideline) it is legal. In the game, Denney came out initially with the kicking team, checked in with the referee, and then went out wide by himself, not in a group heading off the field.

Pereira didn't imply that the Bills ran an illegal play; he was merely making the point that a team may not use a "departing or entering" player in a deceptive manner. Denney obviously wasn't "departing" since he wasn't a member of the Bills' 3rd down offense a play earlier, and when he entered he reported to the huddle (and to the official), so he didn't just "hang out" near the sideline before lining up.

Bottom line -- nothing wrong with what the Bills did.

NFL Total Access segment on officiating with Mike Pereira, VP of NFL Officiating. Strange way to describe the legality of the play...

it could have been illegal, but it wasn't :cry:

I'm half surprised the zebras didn't throw a flag on that play and then make up some hokey ficticious rule on the spot ("Player Lined Up In The Nether Regions"). All seasoned Buffalo fans are well aware of the Nefarious Football League's thinly veiled conspriacy to throw bogus flags at the worst possible moment on the Bills....wink wink nudge nudge....sort of.

as long as you don't disguise the guy who lines up wide as part of a substitution package(i.e. sending hime on or off with a group of players and having him stop at the sideline) it is legal. In the game, Denney came out initially with the kicking team, checked in with the referee, and then went out wide by himself, not in a group heading off the field.

So did the refs announce that #92 is an eligible receiver?

So did the refs announce that #92 is an eligible receiver?
Are they required to announce it, or is the player merely required to report to them? I have heard the officials make such announcements, but am not sure that is always so.

I do not recall hearing an announcement.

Are they required to announce it, or is the player merely required to report to them? I have heard the officials make such announcements, but am not sure that is always so.

If they are required to do so, then they screw it up a lot. I may have heard that announced in a handful of games I have seen.

Pereira never suggests that this play was illegal.

yes, I didn't mean to insinuate that he did.

It was just weird the way it went down with Rich Eisen starting out by saying "I'm told that you have some issues as to whether or not this play is legal"

then he says, of course it was a legal play, but I wanna make sure everyone understands... about lingering

Don't they announce it only when the eligible number is on the line of scrimmage? So if the player is out wide, he's clearly in an eligible position...

That makes sense. Also, this was a ST play -- a FG attempt. I've never in 30+ years of watching the NFL heard any sort of "so-and-so is reporting as eligible" announcement on a ST play.

That makes sense. Also, this was a ST play -- a FG attempt. I've never in 30+ years of watching the NFL heard any sort of "so-and-so is reporting as eligible" announcement on a ST play.

True, especially since they have a defensive end lining up as an offensive wideout. :thumbsup:

Apparently there was already confusion on the Seattle side. They only had ten players out there, sent the 11th in late, and no one picked Denney up.

I have a feeling if he was covered, Lindell makes the kick.

Bill Game Highlights

Select tab for Teams/Buffalo Bills and watch full highlights "Buffalo 43, Seattle 10" (3:46) or select Ryan Denney "Can't miss play: Sneaky Bills" (:58) to just watch that play. The announcer calls it a return (to Buffalo?) gift from April to DeHaven. :thumbsup: