A Few Thoughts About The Game

Bill from NYC

Forget yards. The most important statistic is points given-up.

I agree; this was a strange game for stats.

For instance, Kelsay had 0 tackles/1 assist yet I think that he played a fine game.

Also, we held the ball for 31 minutes/19 seconds. Sure, this is winning the t.o.p. battle, but we did an even better job than stats would indicate. Remember, 14 points were scored on special teams., and I am guessing that a good deal of Seattle's t.o.p. came in the 4th quarter, much of it with the game out of reach.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree; this was a strange game for stats.

For instance, Kelsay had 0 tackles/1 assist yet I think that he played a fine game.

Also, we held the ball for 31 minutes/19 seconds. Sure, this is winning the t.o.p. battle, but we did an even better job than stats would indicate. Remember, 14 points were scored on special teams., and I am guessing that a good deal of Seattle's t.o.p. came in the 4th quarter, much of it with the game out of reach.

Actually, it was even in the 1st (7:41 to 7:19 in favor of the Bills), 8:10 to 6:50 Bills in the 2nd, 8:19 to 6:41 Seahawks in the third, and 8:47 to 6:13 Bills in the fourth...

I checked this because, the one bone I had to pick, was that we didn't run the ball that well once the game was in hand. To me, the less the defense is on the field at that point, the better.

The one thing no one has mentioned ...

The play after the fake field goal and the KO fumble recovery.

The "go for the throat" pass into the end zone.

Our "old Bills" would have run the ball up the middle three times and settled for a field goal. Our "new and improved" Bills opt for a kick 'em when they're down coup d' gras play.

IMHO Turk and the boys have announced to the rest of the NFL that there is a new kid on the playground and we're not satisfied to just steal your lunch money, but we're going to kick you in the groin afterwards.

Ahhhhhhhh it's GOOD to be a Bills fan this morning.

Some additional thoughts that I haven't seen mentioned yet:

1) For all the great Special Teams plays we had yesterday - we still had a blocked kick. UGH! It reminds me of losing a game to the Jets (who have a pretty good ST coach/consultant of their own in Mike Westhoff) a ways back on a special teams return.

2) Props to Trent Edwards for turning around an ugly start, but what really concerns me is the appearance from the TV feed that his turn-around also coincided with an easing of the severe weather. Based on the end of last season, it is very disconcerting that Edwards might not be able to handle severe weather.

3) A win is a win - but by the middle of the third quarter, Seattle was missing each of its top four WR's. It almost felt like it wasn't a fair fight....

JDG

I wonder if the people (Mickey) who predicted Armageddon (Mickey) for Trent Edwards (Mickey) without Peters in the lineup (Mickey) will show up and take their medicine. By the way, anyone see Mickey?

PTR

I had a death in the family so I was out of town.

Please show where I predicted any such thing. I said many times that what the team lost was Peters services for x number of games, however long it took for DJ to decide to start him and that only time would tell if it would cost us. In fact, I spefically predicted that we would get by Carolina.

"I also think we have caught a break on this first game as Seattle has some defensive injuries and is playing on the road. Even if he doesn't come back, I still think we will win on Sunday. The ensuing weeks however worry me." Link

And here are some others:

"So far it hasn't cost either anything. On Sunday though, we will be without a pro bowl LT manning the blind spot and Walker where he belongs, at RT. That may or may not cost us a win. Either way, it won't cost Peters anything."

"Either the team is going to suffer for his absence on the field or they won't. If the former, the team might decide they need him on the field and if the latter, Peters will have lost enough leverage to hopefully reconsider."

So, I have to ask, why do you keep lying?

1) GREAT play by Whitner on the 3rd and 8 with approx. 7 minutes left in 2nd quarter. It cannot be over-emphasized. He made the tackle alone in the flat, and opened the door to the Parrish punt return.

Whitner played excellently. He caused a couple sacks with penetration as well on some blitzes. Hopefully he'll continue to show that he's a versatile player thsi year.

8) Denney, Schobel and Kelsay should take Stroud out to dinner. He was the biggest difference maker today imo. Take a bow AKC.....the DT position made the difference today, or so I think, and it was all about Stroud.

Actually, Bill, AKC wasn't all that impressed by the Stroud pickup. And remember, his theory is about drafting defensive tackles, not trading for them or signing them.

2) Props to Trent Edwards for turning around an ugly start, but what really concerns me is the appearance from the TV feed that his turn-around also coincided with an easing of the severe weather. Based on the end of last season, it is very disconcerting that Edwards might not be able to handle severe weather.

JDG

In bad weather, the Bills need to be more effective in running the ball......The Giants were effective running at us in the 2nd half last year....the Browns ran roughshod over us in that snow-blinder.....If the weather is bad, you don't put the game in the hands of your QB.....At this point Marshawn is well ahead of Trent Edwards as the best player on offense and the ball should be in his hands.....

Actually, Bill, AKC wasn't all that impressed by the Stroud pickup. And remember, his theory is about drafting defensive tackles, not trading for them or signing them.

He seemed to be talking more about a particular game than Stroud as a player. Besides, his theory was sound. I think that teams should draft blockers. Jason Peters is a UFA and he is very good. Does this make my theory not sound?

AKC has been talking up the DT position for years. In one game, Stroud came in and made a huge difference to the entire defense. You know who else predicted the difference Stroud would make before the season started? Kelsay. I heard him say it in Sirius.

There are 5 or 10 posters on TSW (NOT ME) who when you disagree them, you will be wrong way more often than you will be correct. AKC is one of them.

He seemed to be talking more about a particular game than Stroud as a player. Besides, his theory was sound. I think that teams should draft blockers. Jason Peters is a UFA and he is very good. Does this make my theory not sound?

AKC has been talking up the DT position for years. In one game, Stroud came in and made a huge difference to the entire defense. You know who else predicted the difference Stroud would make before the season started? Kelsay. I heard him say it in Sirius.

There are 5 or 10 posters on TSW (NOT ME) who when you disagree them, you will be wrong way more often than you will be correct. AKC is one of them.

No, AKC was convinced that the Jags knew that Stroud was finished. I'll try to find the post.

In bad weather, the Bills need to be more effective in running the ball......The Giants were effective running at us in the 2nd half last year....the Browns ran roughshod over us in that snow-blinder.....If the weather is bad, you don't put the game in the hands of your QB.....At this point Marshawn is well ahead of Trent Edwards as the best player on offense and the ball should be in his hands.....

The problem is that the run game wasn't working either, and this offense appears geared to set up the run with the quick pass since the opposing defenses aren't yet convinced that Edwards can beat them on his own.

1) For all the great Special Teams plays we had yesterday - we still had a blocked kick. UGH! It reminds me of losing a game to the Jets (who have a pretty good ST coach/consultant of their own in Mike Westhoff) a ways back on a special teams return.

3) A win is a win - but by the middle of the third quarter, Seattle was missing each of its top four WR's. It almost felt like it wasn't a fair fight....

JDG

We wuz jinxed on the blocked kick. Seems like I just remember reading something about the Bills being the only team in the league to not have a FG attempt blocked in the last five years. (FYI, the last one was Mike Hollis' try against the Bears in 2002.) Thought it was in the weekly release, but I didn't find it on a quick readthrough ...

AKC was hung up on drafting DTs, not acquiring them form other teams (free agents do not count towards a team's success in the supermostexcellent methodology). He's actually been down on stroud all off-season, and on many occasions has predicted we'll be lucky to get 8 games this season from stroud.

And there are a few posters like you mentioned above. AKC sure as hell isnt one of them.

AKC was hung up on drafting DTs, not acquiring them form other teams (free agents do not count towards a team's success in the supermostexcellent methodology). He's actually been down on stroud all off-season, and on many occasions has predicted we'll be lucky to get 8 games this season from stroud.

And there are a few posters like you mentioned above. AKC sure as hell isnt one of them.

You are just bitter because I praised Whitner, again. :censored:

He seemed to be talking more about a particular game than Stroud as a player.

Are you sure, Bill?

Besides, his theory was sound.

I think that teams should draft blockers. Jason Peters is a UFA and he is very good. Does this make my theory not sound?

Did you read the "study" and methodology? Do you understand where the disagreement was? It wasn't that people were against doing a better job of acquiring a lineman, it was this notion that if you draft 1st and 2nd round DTs at a certain rate, it is the most important step in being successful at the draft.

Many posters said that Stroud would make a huge difference for everyone. I think you have to understand that if you understand the interactions between the positions.

You keep saying this about AKC. You might want to put a clarification in there on specific subjects, because it sure as hell isn't true if you argue with him about statistics.