Latest Peters update

K-Gun10

I really hope we don't trade him. If we just let him rot, even if its for 3-4 years, he has no choice but to eventually come crawling back.

No the NFLPA Mickey Mouse laywer will rule against the Bills despite him having a contract that the Bills "can not prevent him from earning a living."

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No the NFLPA Mickey Mouse laywer will rule against the Bills despite him having a contract that the Bills "can not prevent him from earning a living."

Peters is the only one preventing himself from earning a living.

The criticism of Clayton here is pretty weak -- the mentality of an underling, as they say (i.e., small town folks lashing out at big city media). He's simply reporting something that we didn't actually know to be true - that this could last, and that nothing has happened in the last month. Many knowledgeable posters here surmised that backchannel negotiations were ongoing. If what he reported is true, then that's not the case.

The longer this goes on, the more I hate Jason Peters. He signed a contract. End of story. When I sign a contract to do work for someone, if I do a really good job, one that I could have probably gotten twice as much for, I don't say,"You know what?...this work is really good and I really should have charged you more...so I'm going to keep it until you pay me more." That is REDICULIOUS. I suck it up, and on my next job, I know my work will be worth more and that is what I ask for. In fact, if my work is what I think is substandard for what I've been paid, I would probably consider some sort of discount on the next job just to make good(of course my work is never substandard :D )

And I don't want to hear that he can't just go down to the local Football Shoppe and sell his skills somewhere else. That argument is crap. I serve a very niche market as well and I still manage to do the right thing.

Again, the longer this goes on, the more I hate Jason Peters.

He's angling for a trade, it's the easiest way to get paid. I'm certain he figures he's played his last game as a Bill and that they will cave and trade him, then he will have his wish of being the highest paid offensive tackle in the NFL before he has to take another snap. The Bills just have to let this thing play out. Even if it takes a couple seasons. They made a mistake being so quick to trade or let disgruntled players go the past few seasons and now they look like an easy mark.

please give an example of players the bills have lost the past few years that have gone on to be probowlers. I think the bills have done a good job of letting players go befoe they break down.

He might come "crawling back" but he can cause major problems and distractions along the way if he chooses. Having a disgruntled player in the locker room is not a good thing - it would be better simply to trade him away than deal with those issues. It would also be better to simply trade him away than to let him rot "for 3-4 years" as well (though I agree - it would be foolish of him to do so as no team will give him a huge contract if he hasn't played significant time in a season or two.)

It seems to me all the posters clamoring to "let him rot" are more interested in retribution than in helping the Bills win football games. As a Bills fan the only thing I'm interested in is the Bills winning football games, period. Whatever it takes to improve the team - whether it's coming to an extension with Peters or trading him away- is what I'd like to see them do. Letting him sit for 10 games each season doesn't help the team.

I'm not in the let him rot camp. I'm in the don't let him dictate how the Bills organization is run camp. That IS more important than one season.

Yes, the Bills are in great part at fault for this. They traded players who wanted out without putting up much fight, they let Nate Clements negotiate his own departure with no compensation and they inexplicably re-worked Aaron Schobel's deal prematurely. All these things set precedents that lead up to this bullsh*t. Why should Peters be forced to play in Buffalo or why should he not be entitled to a new deal like Schobel got?

Because that pattern of organizational weakness can't continue, IMO.

It's palatable to trade an aging Eric Moulds or Takeo Spikes or even McGahee when you are rebuilding. It's not OK to trade or let key contributors walk when the core of the team is rebuilt and trying to become a real contender. You can't let that kind of tail wagging the dog crap continue and expect to ever win big. The Bills exhibited a new resolve this offseason when, against the wishes of weak willed fans and media, they did not trade or release JP Losman despite his request to be dealt.

As for the potential draft picks, while I'm not one of those people who thinks the draft is a crapshoot, it's not the "be all and end all" of winning championships. Having star players at key positions for a long time is how you put together championship teams. Peters stays here or he doesn't play, IMO. And if he stays and plays well thru better than half of his contract(for chrissake) then the Bills should reward him with a great new contract. That's the message the Bills organization needs to be sending. And they should stick to it.

The criticism of Clayton here is pretty weak -- the mentality of an underling, as they say (i.e., small town folks lashing out at big city media). He's simply reporting something that we didn't actually know to be true - that this could last, and that nothing has happened in the last month. Many knowledgeable posters here surmised that backchannel negotiations were ongoing. If what he reported is true, then that's not the case.

You make a good point, but I don't really think the small market/big market thing has anything to do with it.

please give an example of players the bills have lost the past few years that have gone on to be probowlers. I think the bills have done a good job of letting players go befoe they break down.

What players did they have to lose that were Pro Bowlers to start with? There are a lot of very good former Bills players around the league that are at least near Pro Bowl worthy. Guys like Clements, Pat Williams, London Fletcher, Antoine Winfield..... My point is that the Bills allowed themselves to become a second class organization by making moves in response to trade requests by guys like Moulds/Spikes/McGahee and allowing Clements to negotiate a deal that made him an untaggable free agent when they held all the cards. That just made them look weak. Fortunately they got some young talent back in return, but that has been of little help on the field the past two years.

There has been a distinct lack of leadership in the front office, most notably a strong leader with a personnel background that knows what they're doing.

Donahoe's reign was full of mistakes and the record shows it translated to the field over five seasons. However, when it was time to find another GM with a working knowledge of how a front office works, Wilson went first with Levy and now with Brandon. IMO, the inconsistency in personnel is directly related to the lack of a veritable NFL GM or VP of Personnel.

I'm confident Brandon wants to show his mettle and not let Peters or Evans get the better of him. He's versed in marketing and business, but it's not so easy to take that exact mentality and transfer it into how to deal with star football players in the professional ranks.

Brandon was thrown into the fire very quickly earlier this year. We won't know how well the free agents will be for a little while and the draft for perhaps another 2-3 seasons. But a Bills team minus Peters and Evans next season will be a U-Turn in the quest to create a respectable football team.