Gene Upshaw passes away per pft and nbc sports.com

e2gsports

Don't shoot the messenger, it is out there and picking up steam.

REPORT: GENE UPSHAW DEAD AT 63

Posted by Mike Florio on August 21, 2008, 7:26 a.m.

A report citing unnamed sources from Clear Channel online indicates that Hall of Fame offensive lineman Gene Upshaw, the long-time Executive Director of the NFL Players Association, has died at the age of 63.

Per the report, Upshaw had been fighting pancreatic cancer.

Upshaw’s condition not been publicly known, and it’s unclear whether others at the NFLPA were aware of the illness, which is one of the most serious forms of cancer.

It’s also unknown whether the disease had developed recently, or whether Upshaw became afflicated with it months ago.

It’s a shocking development, to say the least. In recent months, Upshaw had indicated a desire to stay on the job through the completion of the current Collective Bargaining Agreement negotiations, which became a focal point for the league and the union in May of this year, when owners voted to end the current CBA two years early.

Upshaw also has been criticized for his refusal to allow the NFLPA to identify his successor, out of fears that the league would then undermine him by working directly with the successor as to key terms of the CBA.

But now the NFLPA by all appearances will be thrust into disarray, with a power vacuum only two weeks from the start of the 2008 regular season.

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

BillinNYC: Interesting, I was thinking along the same lines in that there's two completely different ways to look at this. Two posts in a row usually don't make sense, but they do here.

I agree with both.

OC, did you ever have the pleasure of watching him play? I suppose that this was the best OL of all time. Some would say it was the superbowl cowboys, but my vote would go to the raiders because imo, Art Shell was clearly superior to Mark Tuinei. The raiders were also stronger at OC, but I digress.....

Gene Upshaw might have been the best pulling OG I have ever seen, at least in the top 5. He was big for his era, and played all out on every play. Funny, but the expression "high motor" (which I loathe) truly applied to this man. He was fierce and relentless.

I know that it is unorthodox for a football fan, but this is the stuff I pay the most attention to. Gene Upshaw was a bulldog as a player, and a polished negotiator as a union leader. I didn't agree with all of his policies, but he was starting to come around, and look at the powerful people he was dealing with.

Upshaw was a man who imo was worthy of a ton of respect. Once more, RIP Mr. Upshaw.

R.I.P. to Gene, and prayers to all those suffering from Cancer.

Troy Vincent is highly intelligent, would work hard for his players, but still bring common sense to the position...

...he might not stand a chance.

I think that Vincent was on the NFLPA Executive Board with, and in support of Upshaw. Or, am I mistaken? Seriously.

RIP Gene. It's too bad this happened at a time when he's the center of so much controversy... not that there is ever a good time for it to happen, but it would have been nice for him to go in peace, knowing his job here was complete.

Just barely old enough to remember him in his playing days, but what I do remember he was among the best at his position.