If Bruce had played in the 4-3

Fingon

IMO, the most impressive thing about Bruce's career is that he racked up most of his sacked while playing in the 3-4. He would probably be sitting at 300 career sacks if he had spent his career playing for a 4-3 defense. What's the most sacks a 3-4 DE had last year, it can't be more than 10?

Anyways, this was brought on by fans voting Jimbo the best player in Bills history, not Bruce or OJ.

http://myespn.go.com/blogs/afceast/0-2-93/...ise-player.html

I've watched football for a LONG time, and to my eyes Bruce WAS the best ever! If the man had played his entire career in Dallas, the case would be closed in a hurry!! I have never witnessed, nor will I ever again, a player who absolutely scared the manure out of a team more than Bruce Smith! Laurence Taylor was isolated on the weakest links offensively and turned loose, and Reggie White and David "Deacon" Jones played in exactly what your question brought up.... the 4-3!! Bruce is simply the best, in my book, and I feel wonderful every time I think about him being a Buffalo Bills DE!! What memories....

I've watched football for a LONG time, and to my eyes Bruce WAS the best ever! If the man had played his entire career in Dallas, the case would be closed in a hurry!! I have never witnessed, nor will I ever again, a player who absolutely scared the manure out of a team more than Bruce Smith! Laurence Taylor was isolated on the weakest links offensively and turned loose, and Reggie White and David "Deacon" Jones played in exactly what your question brought up.... the 4-3!! Bruce is simply the best, in my book, and I feel wonderful every time I think about him being a Buffalo Bills DE!! What memories....

definitely the best. thx bruce

Bruce had a quicker first step but Reggie was the more powerful man- Bruce would have had more sacks playing in a 4-3 but Reggie could play inside at DT too. LT Amazed me with his power - listed at 230 he many times just bull-rushed OLinemen or tossed them aside- C Bennett was as fast or faster but never had his power-

Bruce had a quicker first step but Reggie was the more powerful man- Bruce would have had more sacks playing in a 4-3 but Reggie could play inside at DT too. LT Amazed me with his power - listed at 230 he many times just bull-rushed OLinemen or tossed them aside- C Bennett was as fast or faster but never had his power-

Bennett was fairly strong himself, I was watching an NFL films highlight tape from 1990 earlier on and I swear to god Bennett bullrushed his way through 3 guys who were blocking him to get to the quaterback and he knocked him out of the game.

IMO, the most impressive thing about Bruce's career is that he racked up most of his sacked while playing in the 3-4. He would probably be sitting at 300 career sacks if he had spent his career playing for a 4-3 defense. What's the most sacks a 3-4 DE had last year, it can't be more than 10?

-Bruce is already in the discussion along with Reggie White, Deacon Jones,LT, Ronnie Lott etc. etc. You could probably list about 25 great defensive players and have a legit argument supporting each of them for the title of greatest.

The other matter that rarely brought up when comparing Bruce to Reggie White is White primarily played on the left side, while Bruce played on the right side. That means Bruce routinely went up against the LT, which is traditionally where the best OL player lines up, while Reggie would usually lined up against the RT, who is traditionally less talented than the LT.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Super_Bowl_XXXI

They had Bruce play NT in the 3-4 once in a while. They put him on NT against Miami one game and when the Center looked up he :unsure: a brick and got a false start penalty. :(

The other matter that rarely brought up when comparing Bruce to Reggie White is White primarily played on the left side, while Bruce played on the right side. That means Bruce routinely went up against the LT, which is traditionally where the best OL player lines up, while Reggie would usually lined up against the RT, who is traditionally less talented than the LT.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Super_Bowl_XXXI

You could counter that by saying that Smith had the benefit of rushing from the blind side while most QBs could see White coming. I still think Smith was better, but the 3-4 vs 4-3 point is a lot more relevant than the RE vs LE one.

You could counter that by saying that Smith had the benefit of rushing from the blind side while most QBs could see White coming. I still think Smith was better, but the 3-4 vs 4-3 point is a lot more relevant than the RE vs LE one.

...chipping TE efforts as well...

Bruce had that spin move and the speed to the corner, whilst I remember White had the "hump" move- the rush late in the Pats taking down Bledsloe in the superbowl perfectly illustrates what i mean.