ESPN story on Peters

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

This is getting stupid. I mean, I usually understand contract holdouts to an extent. If someone told me I could make millions of dollars per year more than I'm making now and all I had to was NOT go to work, and the biggest thing I was risking was having some message board posters call me an a-hole, I'd probably do it. But he's clearly getting bad advice from his agent now. I'd even understand if he held out a week or two to let the team know he was serious about wanting an extension, but its past that now. The team knows he's serious about wanting an extension, it's time to report or he'll be risking his entire paycheck for this year, or any chance he would've had at getting an extension, which any way you look at it, is just plain stupid.

Wow! It seems the Bills have a knack for letting their best players get away every year. I understand the concept of not breaking the bank, but c'mon. They have an opportunity to lock up a premier left tackle for the rest of his career. He's not going to be any cheaper in two weeks or even a month. If there is value in an offensive line position, it's the same position Jason Peters plays. Pay the man, and let's get the best player on the Bills roster to practice. Just because the Bills looked smooth in two series, during a preseason game, against a vanilla defense, does not mean they don't need him. If the Bills somehow find a way to screw this up, it would only illustrate that the franchise is content with mediocrity and simply surviving in the NFL.

Wow! It seems the Bills have a knack for letting their best players get away every year. I understand the concept of not breaking the bank, but c'mon. They have an opportunity to lock up a premier left tackle for the rest of his career. He's not going to be any cheaper in two weeks or even a month. If there is value in an offensive line position, it's the same position Jason Peters plays. Pay the man, and let's get the best player on the Bills roster to practice. Just because the Bills looked smooth in two series, during a preseason game, against a vanilla defense, does not mean they don't need him. If the Bills somehow find a way to screw this up, it would only illustrate that the franchise is content with mediocrity and simply surviving in the NFL.

Thank you for your input Eugene... :unsure:

I'm all for paying Jason but he has no leverage. NONE. Not even a little.

Graet first post. You know we don't have enough baseless negative comments around here. You'll really round things out. (Sarcasm on)

One thing no one has mentioned is the ridiculousness of NFL salaries and how they increase steadily with each top performer per position. Peters is due a raise for his recent play, and while he wants more money and he wants to be paid as one of the top lineman in the league, it might not be bad to re-negotiate now. If he comes back, plays for a season and leaves, we lose a Pro_Bowl left tackle and nothing is gained. While resigning him will be costly, if we lock him up now, the price in the future will be that much more.

I have to disagree. The Bills have stated that they would have no problem negotiating with Peters for an extension, all they ask is that he does his job and shows up for camp. The organization is doing exactly the right thing. If Peters wants a new contract, he can get one, Russ Brandon has said so. I would never give an employee a raise, regardless of how good he is at his job, if his negotiating tactic was to not show up for work. I'd simply find somebody else to do the job.

One thing no one has mentioned is the ridiculousness of NFL salaries and how they increase steadily with each top performer per position. Peters is due a raise for his recent play, and while he wants more money and he wants to be paid as one of the top lineman in the league, it might not be bad to re-negotiate now. If he comes back, plays for a season and leaves, we lose a Pro_Bowl left tackle and nothing is gained. While resigning him will be costly, if we lock him up now, the price in the future will be that much more.

He can't play for a season and leave, he is under contract for three more years and has two more seasons to free agency(it could actually be three now, I think he has missed the deadline to get credit for this season). The only way he gets out of B-Flo before then is if the Bills release him, and I don't see that happening.

Wow! It seems the Bills have a knack for letting their best players get away every year.

Get away? Peters is under contract for the next three seasons. He isn't going anywhere. If he won't play for the Bills, then he won't play at all during the prime of his career or he'll be traded for commensurate value.

I want a playoff football team more than probably most of you, but I applaud the Bills for not caving in to his demands at this point in time.

Peters needs to think for himself and not have his agent lead him around like a puppet. Come to camp, prove you can still play after surgery and go out and compete. He has no leverage right now.....or very little. Nobody knows how he recovered from surgery or if he is in shape, or has been working out, etc... The Bills are NOT trading him. They can ride his contract out for three yrs if he wants to sit out until game 10 each year and sit on the bench etc...

Then in 2011 a team can sign him without him playing for 3 years and see how things are then....bad advice from his agent. Go to camp, compete, play hard and rengotiate and make your millions more.

Peters needs to think for himself and not have his agent lead him around like a puppet. Come to camp, prove you can still play after surgery and go out and compete. He has no leverage right now.....or very little. Nobody knows how he recovered from surgery or if he is in shape, or has been working out, etc... The Bills are NOT trading him. They can ride his contract out for three yrs if he wants to sit out until game 10 each year and sit on the bench etc...

Then in 2011 a team can sign him without him playing for 3 years and see how things are then....bad advice from his agent. Go to camp, compete, play hard and rengotiate and make your millions more.

Word.

Are you confusing the Bills with the Sabres? What "great player" left last year? Or the year before that? Nate Clements? How's he doing in SF? Are we missing him at all?

PTR

My mistake, I knew that but for some reason I typed it. My point was just that the top players salaries for each position goes up every year. If we lock Peters up now, we avoid having to match or come close to whatever absurd number it is for top LT's or lineman in the league in the future.

My mistake, I knew that but for some reason I typed it. My point was just that the top players salaries for each position goes up every year. If we lock Peters up now, we avoid having to match or come close to whatever absurd number it is for top LT's or lineman in the league in the future.

That I can agree with, as long as he shows up for work.

He can't play for a season and leave, he is under contract for three more years and has two more seasons to free agency(it could actually be three now, I think he has missed the deadline to get credit for this season). The only way he gets out of B-Flo before then is if the Bills release him, and I don't see that happening.

You are correct. By missing the Aug 8 deadline, Peters loses a year toward free agency, so he is still 3 years a way. I should remind everyone that Peters contract was negotiated by his previous manager, so in order for Parker to cash in, he has to get Peters a new deal. THAT looks like the main reason for this holdout...it's not Peter's interest at stake, it's Parker's!

It really looks like Parker was banking on the Bills to behave like some people on this board: wetting their panties at the thought of playing without Peters. Thankfully the Bills have better people in charge. Peters better realize he's messing with his career now. He can't afford to miss a season in his prime. You ain't elite if you ain't playin'. You don't make the Pro Bowl sitting on your a$$.

PTR

You are correct. By missing the Aug 8 deadline, Peters loses a year toward free agency, so he is still 3 years a way. I should remind everyone that Peters contract was negotiated by his previous manager, so in order for Parker to cash in, he has to get Peters a new deal. THAT looks like the main reason for this holdout...it's not Peter's interest at stake, it's Parker's!

It really looks like Parker was banking on the Bills to behave like some people on this board: wetting their panties at the thought of playing without Peters. Thankfully the Bills have better people in charge. Peters better realize he's messing with his career now. He can't afford to miss a season in his prime. You ain't elite if you ain't playin'. You don't make the Pro Bowl sitting on your a$$.

PTR

Again...

Word.

The Bills "locked" him up a year ago. If he is "locked up" again at a price that is not absurd, what prevents him from doing this all over again?

The kicker in all of this is that he'd probably get more money if he just gets his arse into camp.

The biggest problem to me is that he cuts off all contact. Behaving like a spoiled brat in that sense wouldn't exactly inspire me to make him the highest-paid lineman in the league.

Isn't his agent the same guy that's telling Stephen Jackson to hold out the same way?