I'll say this about Edwards

silvermike

I had my doubts considering how he played at the end of last season. It's only pre-season, and one game but I sincerely hope what we saw from him and the rest of the team tonight is the shape of things to come this season.

All I want is good play from the QB. I don't care what his name is.

It was only preseason but a huge improvement from 5 days ago. Maybe Juaron had it planned this way.

To the Edwards detractors, come out come out where ever you are..

OFFENSE: Quarterback Trent Edwards, who played two rather fruitless series in the preseason opener at Washington, played two rather spectacular series against the Steelers as he completed 9 of 11 passes for 104 yards and two touchdowns to tight end Robert Royal.

DEFENSE: Two starting QB's on opening drives ... 2 Buffalo INT's

When Buffalo took the field following the kickoff, the second-string unit was still staring at Roethlisberger and the Steelers' starters, and it was a mismatch. Roethlisberger, who was 9 of 11 for 142 yards, hit Hines Ward for 24 yards as the veteran receiver schooled rookie corner Leodis McKelvin on a deep slant.

ST's: McKelvin, Buffalo's first-round draft pick, electrified the crowd with a 95-yard touchdown return on the ensuing kickoff.

Like him or hate him. Admire hte poise or hate the arm strength, the man puts together big plays when you're about to give up on him and lousy ones when your hopes are highest.

There's no doubt about it: He's a Buffalo Bill.

I don't think anyone has ever said they hate Edwards, well except in Bills mind, where if you aren't part of the his Trent for HOF group you hate him. Everything I have seen have been people expressing concern over his arm strength and they want to see a little more of him before annointing him the franchise QB. The offence didn't look any different lat year no matter who was in, and he did not look fantastic near the end last year. But last night that entire offence stepped up and looked good on those first 2 drives with the starters in against a good defence in Pittsburgh.

The thing we all have to remember, is that good or bad, this is only the pre-season right now and we have all seen players step up and look great in the pre-season and then become adequate/mediocre in the regular season

trent did look pretty awesome last night. no way to take that away from him...nor should anyone want to.

but the throw to royal in triple coverage was definitely stupid. he had hardy open, and he dropped it into heavy coverage. worked out because it was a nice pass and royal made a nice catch, but trent loves to take that big chance when we don't need to. dude loves INTs at the worst possible times.

that being said...we looked like a bonified offensive threat last night. running game was solid. the oline looked solid...but the steelers d also looked pretty bad. and after one good preseason game, im not ready to say it was our stellar offense that did that to them.

I don't think anyone has ever said they hate Edwards, well except in Bills mind, where if you aren't part of the his Trent for HOF group you hate him. Everything I have seen have been people expressing concern over his arm strength and they want to see a little more of him before annointing him the franchise QB. The offence didn't look any different lat year no matter who was in, and he did not look fantastic near the end last year. But last night that entire offence stepped up and looked good on those first 2 drives with the starters in against a good defence in Pittsburgh.

The thing we all have to remember, is that good or bad, this is only the pre-season right now and we have all seen players step up and look great in the pre-season and then become adequate/mediocre in the regular season

I guess the people openly hoping that Edwards gets hurt, so JP will have one more chance to show everyone, may not hate Trent, but it has been pretty moronic...

I'll step in and bring some rain, but he didn't loft any really deep balls yesterday and he seemed to really put all he had into some of the medium throws. His two longest plays were that 22 yard scramble and that 23 yard pass to Evans which was probably 30 or so on the fly and he really seems to have heaved it and put some umph into it.

He played a good game, but he hasn't proven that he has a consistent deep arm yet by any stretch. He may not even need it though to have an effective offense if he can just be very good on the short and medium stuff.

The offense did step up and look good, but there was no deep component to it yesterday. Sorry.

I guess the people openly hoping that Edwards gets hurt, so JP will have one more chance to show everyone, may not hate Trent, but it has been pretty moronic...

A lot of people, like me, are ready for a complete redeal. Hopefully yesterday's game was real and permanent.

I'll step in and bring some rain, but he didn't loft any really deep balls yesterday and he seemed to really put all he had into some of the medium throws. His two longest plays were that 22 yard scramble and that 23 yard pass to Evans which was probably 30 or so on the fly and he really seems to have heaved it and put some umph into it.

He played a good game, but he hasn't proven that he has a consistent deep arm yet by any stretch. He may not even need it though to have an effective offense if he can just be very good on the short and medium stuff.

The offense did step up and look good, but there was no deep component to it yesterday. Sorry.

Well, he played a great game, not a good game. And if he can get the blocking and open receivers he won't need to get the ball downfield.

I think he will need to do it, too, down the road. But he won't have to if he can get the ball in the endzone and make plays like he did last night. That's a big if.

Well, he played a great game, not a good game. And if he can get the blocking and open receivers he won't need to get the ball downfield.

I think he will need to do it, too, down the road. But he won't have to if he can get the ball in the endzone and make plays like he did last night. That's a big if.

OK, he played a great "game" then. I view it as two series and it's unlikely that if he had been in there for 9 more that the Bills would have quintupled that 157 yards on those two drives for 800 total net yards and 70 points.

My primary point was that some people have taken the occasion to suggest that he has a deep arm when there was absolutely no evidence of that last night. 30-yards is not considered deep in that sense of the word.

I don't want to argue that for a dozen posts, so if you feel differently, fine. I just saw nothing suggesting that he has a deep arm yesterday regardless of how the rest of his game looked, which frankly was great for those two series. Nice needle threading even on a couple plays.

I guess the people Person openly hoping that Edwards gets hurt, so JP will have one more chance to show everyone, may not hate Trent, but it has been pretty moronic...

I have only seen one person openly hoping he gets injured, just like last year there was one person who openly said they hoped JP got injured so Trent could get his chance (weird thing was that it was before the game he was injured in)

OK, he played a great "game" then. I view it as two series and it's unlikely that if he had been in there for 9 more that the Bills would have quintupled that 157 yards on those two drives for 800 total net yards and 70 points.

My primary point was that some people have taken the occasion to suggest that he has a deep arm when there was absolutely no evidence of that last night. 30-yards is not considered deep in that sense of the word.

I don't want to argue that for a dozen posts, so if you feel differently, fine. I just saw nothing suggesting that he has a deep arm yesterday regardless of how the rest of his game looked, which frankly was great for those two series. Nice needle threading even on a couple plays.

So the throws he didn't make weren't good enough for you? He will also need to throw screen passes in the regular season but there wasn't any indication at all yesterday that he's ready for it.

Okay, I'm obviously picking on you. But if your strongest critcism is that Trent seemed to put too much effort into throwing that great pass to Evans, acknowledge that you are nit-picking and ignoring the positives. Did TE clench his jaw when he threw? What worried you? I thought it was a great pass. The story here isn't Trent's clench, it's that the O-line gave Trent enough time to throw, Evans got wide open, TE read the D well, and delivered a strike for a solid gain <<this is where the fans jump up and cheer>>.