Mary Carillo - worst commentator of all time

stevestojan

She is just horrible. Did NBC hire her to go around China to insult the Chinese people and/or their intelligence? She does these short spots between events in the Olympics where she visits historic sites/people in China. She visited Three Gorges Dam, the largest hydro-electric power station in the world. The guy in charge (chief engineer, perhaps) said over 25,000 people worked on it when it was in its main building phase. She asked "no beavers worked on it?"... . . . .. :wallbash: ... the translator looked very uncomfortable and didn't even ask the engineer.

Then yesterday she visited the Worlds tallest man. She told him that her "whole family could fit in his shoe". . . Yeah, I'm sure he's not sick of the jokes about his size you !@#$.

She's awful. And she sounds like a man. And I hate her.

Carry on.

During the segment with the tall guy and the tour of the dam, etc... Mrs Bullpen looked at me and asked "what's wrong with that woman?" Didn't really know what she was talking about as I kind of tune out these fluff pieces. She said "that woman is moron, she asked the guy if beaver helped build the damn, just to perpetuate the ignorant American stereotype."

I missed it, but concur, she's re-tarted and re-dic-you-lus. :wallbash:

Uh-oh the wack job is talking about Panda baby making now! :wallbash:

Was she also the one who commented about the importance of training together for the syncronized diving event?

You know, I'm sure it takes a lot of practice and all, but this is why I don't end up watching much of the Olympics. syncronized diving? how is that in Olympic sport?

She is just horrible. Did NBC hire her to go around China to insult the Chinese people and/or their intelligence? She does these short spots between events in the Olympics where she visits historic sites/people in China. She visited Three Gorges Dam, the largest hydro-electric power station in the world. The guy in charge (chief engineer, perhaps) said over 25,000 people worked on it when it was in its main building phase. She asked "no beavers worked on it?"... . . . .. :wallbash: ... the translator looked very uncomfortable and didn't even ask the engineer.

Then yesterday she visited the Worlds tallest man. She told him that her "whole family could fit in his shoe". . . Yeah, I'm sure he's not sick of the jokes about his size you !@#$.

She's awful. And she sounds like a man. And I hate her.

Carry on.

Nobody shall surpass Ashley Banfield.

I had a water polo game on in the background at work, can't remember who was playing but it wasn't the USA. The game was tied 3-3, and the goalie for one team made a save.

The announcer said to announcer 2, "Jack, what kind of momentum does a save like that give to a team?"

Announcer 2 replyed, "Well, it's not necessarily momentum...It's more that the game is still tied 3-3, rather than being down 4-3."

:wallbash: A perfect answer to an unneccessary question.

I don't mind her as a commentator, it's the stories (or the writing) that NBC is having her do that is grating.

The analyst that is driving me nuts is the female synchro diving analyst. She has this thing where she will say a key word v e r y s l o w l y. Example last night was "com pen sa tion". She was eluding to the fact that the two divers could make adjustments in their spin rate, relative position, and such mid-dive. Right. They can make subtle adjustments while jumping down a 28ft platform at X miles an hour, from start to finish takes all but 3 seconds.

oh hell, here she goes again... (a special on the food of China).

"You're Manchurian? Do Manchurians like to eat?"

"I finally found something that doesn't involve eating hands, heads, beaks or entrails". Way to stereotype the Chinese based on your purposeful quest to find strange food. I'm sure the chinese think we're normal for eating 10,000 calories a day while watching football when 90% of their diet consists of rice, not these "strange" things you hunted for you dolt.

The topper was her singing "I'm a little teapot..." while in what looked like a sophisticated restaurant of some sort waiting for her tea to be poured.

Honestly, I don't get it. Why is she trying to make Americans live up to the expectation of being ignorant and ethnocentric?

FYI, in case you're wondering I'm on a 2 week business trip in Va Beach which ends Friday, so I've had nothing to do but watch the Olympics and post about it. This isn't the old stevestojan coming out to post every thought I have <_<

She's trying to be funny by playing the straight-man, only without a sidekick (unless you count Costas' lame-ass, old when Jesus heard it in the second grade not-going-to-eat-it retorts. I think her spots simply highlight how the composition of comedy should be left to the professionals, who themselves are only successful about half the time.

This stuff is just a waste of airtime when they could be broadcasting actual sports (perish that thought I guess...) and it's giving her a very hokey image. She's one hell of a tennis color analyst; it's sad to see her being used like this.

When JM is talking about a match at hand, he's great. Then again, he spends most of his time blathering on and on about the Davis Cup.

JM's best non-tennis commentary moment was when he had a CNBC show. It was circling the drain and he knew it was being cancelled in a few weeks. He had Trimuph the Insult Comic Dog on Triumph spent the whole half hour insulting him and CNBC. JM just sat there rolling with laughter.

JM's best non-tennis commentary moment was when he had a CNBC show. It was circling the drain and he knew it was being cancelled in a few weeks. He had Trimuph the Insult Comic Dog on Triumph spent the whole half hour insulting him and CNBC. JM just sat there rolling with laughter.

Triumph in Quebec was the all time best! "Are you separatist?"

Carillo is simply stiff, trying to do something that does not come naturally for her. Or most people. Her spots are simply bad. When she comes on I know it is a good time to run errands. Mary's on, ohhhhh, maybe I'll get something to drink, check my calls, walk around the block, whatever... It is China one of the most historic places in the world! Mary not being able to report the historic thrills in China is like a cook not being able to scramble an egg. Kinda, sorta.