Thoughts on JP tonight

Drew026

I am not worried about Trent's game Saturday at all. I think his stats and performance mean nothing relative with how he will play in the season. I loved the first Roscoe pass. And I think the first couple series of the first pre-season season in a new offense on the road against a veteran team mean very little in the long run. I think TE will do pretty well this year.

That said, how anyone who watches football can say that a quarterback should "trust his tight end to be where he is supposed to be" on a pass from the 8 yard line over the middle into the endzone is beyond me. It's not a play where you just throw it to a spot like an out pattern. He was double covered and wasn't close to being open, Trent watched him right from the snap and Trent himself said it wasn't a good decision. It was just a bad play.

Maybe, but Shouman did run the wrong pattern. I am not going to debate it. I am sure they practiced it many times running the correct route with success, with the wrong route not so much...

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So, for all the folks who profess, "I want to win now...", but also insist that TE's the QB of the future while JP sucks and will never ever make it as an NFL starter, let's just say TE's play sucks just as bad this Thursday - and in the final 2 preseason games - as it did Sat. nite (keep in mind, I hope he plays great, but just supposin'...), while JP continues to come off the bench and look sharp and score touchdowns...

Who do you guys, that want to win now, start against the Seahawks on Sept. 7th?

The best QB period. I root for the laundry, not the name on the back of the jersey.

Having said that, JP has teased us before in the past. The reason TE became the starter is that it was deemed he had more upside i.e. room to improve, that JP wasn't showing anymore. I think the Bills should start the QB who they believe will continue to improve the more he plays.

Whoever starts, I'll still be watching on Sunday.

I won't form an opinion until after the 4 pre-season games to decide if either QB played better then the other.

JP had a good game and looked good, Trent didn't impress as much, but it was only game one of the pre-season. The Bills have 2 different styles of QB's in Losman and Edwards. In Losman they have the gunslinger, who is going to take sacks and throw picks, but he gives you the chance of making the "big play". Trent is more of the conservative, efficient passer who will not give you the option of making the "big play" but will be more conservative and work the ball downfield more efficiently. Both styles can win in the league, with the proper players around them and the right offensive gameplans. I really don't think it matters how well JP plays, you might as well leave Edwards in all season unless he is hurt because JP is as good as gone this offseason and will not be back in Buffalo next year no matter how well he plays.

Now as for those saying that JP played against backups/scrunbs, well you also seem to not take into account, he played with them too as he was playing with guys like Duke Preston on his o-line, and no Lynch or Evans

Yes. I was at the game, and he looked very good (so did Hamden). Trent, not so much. But look, the biggest problem we have is musical quarterbacks. I dont really care which one of the three is our starter, but whoever we decide (and it looks like we decided on Trent), needs to be the starter the ENTIRE year and not be looking over his shoulder.

(That said...I think Losman will eventually make a very good QB in this league.)

I predict the Jets will be looking for a veteran QB next year. :huh:

I agree with you about musical QBs. Sadly, this has been a problem since Jim Kelly was wheeled off the field.

Yes. I was at the game, and he looked very good (so did Hamden). Trent, not so much. But look, the biggest problem we have is musical quarterbacks. I dont really care which one of the three is our starter, but whoever we decide (and it looks like we decided on Trent), needs to be the starter the ENTIRE year and not be looking over his shoulder.

(That said...I think Losman will eventually make a very good QB in this league.)

I couldn't agree more...but I have my doubts about JP being a good STARTING qb in this league...although he has been miscoached throughout his career. A good qb can thrive with change, especially when he has the headstrong game...which I do not see in JP. He has all the physical gifts we could ask for in a QB, but unfortunately there is not much going on upstairs.

Here's what we know between JP's career, last years preseason and now starting this year. Both Losman and Trent Edwards look pretty good against other teams' 2nd & 3rd stringers. Neither is blowing anyone away against the #1 defense though. We KNOW that JP has a tendency to get his 1 huge bomb a game and then sputter his way to drive killing mistakes (i.e. fumble, INT, sack, bounce passes, etc..) We KNOW that Trent goes out of his way to avoid costly mistakes by checking down alot. He has the occassional rope down the middle that makes you go, "Hmmmm, this guy can zip it in there with accuracy"...but he doesn't go for it often enough and turns into a FG making offense.

So here's what we know about Eli Manning - he was drafted the same year as JP Losman and, until Manning beat the *Cheatriettes* in the Superbowl, pretty much every NYG fan thought he sucked every game...

The Official Eli Manning Sucks Blog

The major difference? Despite many poor performances, where Eli Manning actually did suck, Coughlin and the Giants stuck with him - unlike the Bills pretty much jerking Losman around the entire 4 years he's been here. (Check that; the first year, the Bills didn't actually didn't jerk Losman around - Troy Vincent just decided to break JP's leg in training camp.)

Don't even try to compare Eli vs. JP. I have no doubts that JP is a better pure athlete but Eli is way more football saavy and intelligent in the pocket. He goes through his progressions much quicker than JP and usually puts the short/intermediate ball where his receivers can rack up some YAC.

So here's what we know about Eli Manning - he was drafted the same year as JP Losman and, until Manning beat the *Cheatriettes* in the Superbowl, pretty much every NYG fan thought he sucked every game...

The Official Eli Manning Sucks Blog

The major difference? Despite many poor performances, where Eli Manning actually did suck, Coughlin and the Giants stuck with him - unlike the Bills pretty much jerking Losman around the entire 4 years he's been here. (Check that; the first year, the Bills didn't actually didn't jerk Losman around - Troy Vincent just decided to break JP's leg in training camp.)

I think what has perpetuated the 'Eli sucks' mentality is his location. New York is bad enough just from the media, but Giant fans in particular are horribly impatient with QBs. I don't know why, but those fans love their front 7 and hate its QB, no matter who it is. I still remember the endless "Simms sucks" comments from the '80s, even after he won a SB.

Eli has been better than JP and has also shown real progress year to year. The SB was not his first last minute game winning drive, he has done that in impressive fashion a few times in the past couple of seasons.

Don't even try to compare Eli vs. JP. I have no doubts that JP is a better pure athlete but Eli is way more football saavy and intelligent in the pocket. He goes through his progressions much quicker than JP and usually puts the short/intermediate ball where his receivers can rack up some YAC.

It'd be impossible to compare the two - the Giants actually went about developing Manning into a starting QB.

It'll be easier to keep comparing TE & JP, since Jauron will probably jerk Edwards around the same way he & Meathead jerked Losman around. I fully expect Losman to be back over center at some point this season, maybe even September 7th.

I think what has perpetuated the 'Eli sucks' mentality is his location. New York is bad enough just from the media, but Giant fans in particular are horribly impatient with QBs. I don't know why, but those fans love their front 7 and hate its QB, no matter who it is. I still remember the endless "Simms sucks" comments from the '80s, even after he won a SB.

Eli has been better than JP and has also shown real progress year to year. The SB was not his first last minute game winning drive, he has done that in impressive fashion a few times in the past couple of seasons.

Eli had a worst year last year than the year before.More int.last year ,didn't throw as many T.D.s as the year before and com.Pct. went down,also more fumbles.J.P. also showed progress each year ,until last year .Eli just got it together at the right time last year.[playoffs and Superbowl]

Here's what we know between JP's career, last years preseason and now starting this year. Both Losman and Trent Edwards look pretty good against other teams' 2nd & 3rd stringers. Neither is blowing anyone away against the #1 defense though. We KNOW that JP has a tendency to get his 1 huge bomb a game and then sputter his way to drive killing mistakes (i.e. fumble, INT, sack, bounce passes, etc..) We KNOW that Trent goes out of his way to avoid costly mistakes by checking down alot. He has the occassional rope down the middle that makes you go, "Hmmmm, this guy can zip it in there with accuracy"...but he doesn't go for it often enough and turns into a FG making offense.

lets not forget trent's love for interceptions at the worst possible time and parts of the field.

neither qb has set the world on fire...so when our starting qb, who we pulled losman for because "trent's the future" goes 1-5 and looks like garbage - even for just 2 series - it's cause for concern. the season isnt over, no moves will be made yet, but its definitely not something you like to see. (like every other year) this year is supposed to be different...yet we seen scary things from our starting qb, a weak run game and weak run defense. same poop different year.